Why poor pics when its sunny?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by ZAM, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAM

ZAM Member

Hello everyone:D I have a olympus stylus 740 and when ever its sunny the picture whites out, I had the same problem with my last camera which was an older stylus (I can't remember what number). I fish a lot and like to take pictures of my catch, I've even caught a few trophys in the past and the pictures were ruined, and since I mainly catch and release, thats a problem. its a shame because the main reason I bought the stylus 740 was because my old camera had this problem, and the new one does the same thing, I can't afford to buy another camera. Is there anyway to fix the problem??
    thanks in advance!!
    Heres one of many pics that this has happened to, some were much worse
    [​IMG]

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

You should be able to correct the issue at least partially be manually adjusting the exposure compensation. Press up on your d-pad before taking the shot, and a slider should come up on screen. Move the slider down/left at least a whole stop, re-take, and see if your results are better.

The bigger question would be why the camera is missing this badly, though, in the metering department. You might want to explore your menu to make sure that the camera is in ESP metering, rather than spot metering (check your manual for more on this, but it should be pretty simple to find within the menu).

What mode are you shooting in, if I may ask?

dr

3. ZAM

ZAM Member

Thanks for the help David, I don't know what mode I use, I don't really know much about cameras, I usually just catch a fish, turn the knob to the picture of the camera,turn the camera on, then set the timer and take a pic..I did find the af mode was on spot and I switched it to iESP, do you think that may help? If it doesn't, I will try to adjust the exposure. I'll have to wait til we get a sunny day..Thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

Hi.

were you standing in front of the camera when you pressed the timer button, If so you might have reduced the light getting into the lens and the camera would have opened the iris as much as possible to let more light in, when you went back and the camera took the photo it would be overexposed!

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I didn't think about the fact that it could be a self-timer issue. Good thinking, Tinderbox.

dr

6. ZAM

ZAM Member

I may stand in front of it a few times, but not every time, this happens a lot. I noticed on my menu that there is a sunny day setting, I usually have it on auto, maybe I should try that.

7. ok67

ok67 New Member

Have you tried to take a "normal" picture of something, like your kids (if you have any) or something else without using the self timer ?
    Is the pictures whited out then as well ?

8. ZAM

ZAM Member

I never use it much except when I use the timer while fishing, but the few times I have used it manually (without the timer) Its never had that problem, Its a good chance it only happens when I set the timer. maybe the problems isn't someone standing in front but no one standing behind it? maybe the lack of shade on the back side of the camera could be a cause?

9. ok67

ok67 New Member

No, I don't think it is related to that there is no one behind the camera, but rather some problem with the light metering when you are in front of the camera and are pressing the buttons.

Is this camera capable of using a remote control ?

I have a remote control for my DSLR that I can use to make photos of my selces (or anything else) without being in direct contact with the camera.

May be you can stand besides the camera when pressing the self timer button instead of standing in front of the camera ?

How ever I find it some what strange that the camera is doing the light metering when you press the self timer button and not when it actually makes the photo.

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

Hi.

You have to remember that the instant you start the self time, the camera checks the focus, aperture and shutter speed.

If it was a 10 second timer

Then you have the countdown and at 0 the camera takes the photo, It does not do the focus, aperture and shutter speed check at 0, it did it at 10.

I think it should do it at 0 and not at 10, so you can get into the shot, It seems stupid to me.

But i have checked a few of my camera`s and they all do it this way!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.