Wide-angle, 20x zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ announced

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

In an announcement early this morning, Olympus unveiled the presumed successor to its SP-560 18x ultra-zoom: the 20x, 10.0 megapixel SP-570 UZ.

[​IMG]

Offering a level of manual control rivaling that found on a DSLR and a 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 26mm to 520mm, the SP-570 sports a large 2.7-inch HyperCrystal LCD display with a wide viewing angle, an external flash hotshoe, and a unique bezel-ring zoom control. Dual Image Stabilization, combining ISO boost and sensor-shifting technologies, shows up on the new model, as does a sequential high-speed shooting mode capable of capturing up to 13.5 frames per second at 3 megapixels.

[​IMG]

As noted, the SP-570 UZ, which captures both RAW and JPEG images, features SLR-like full manual control, including aperture and shutter priority modes. Likewise, the new model carries over the Olympus TruePic III image processor from Olympus's DSLR line. The camera also comes equipped with 31 scene modes and fully automatic operation for straight-up point-and-shoot usability.

[​IMG]

Expected features like face detection and Olympus's Perfect Shot Preview system also make an appearance on this flagship model. The SP-570's Shadow Adjustment Technology provides on-board dynamic range compensation, bringing out detail and definition in underexposed areas without overexposing highlights, and with a maximum ISO of 6400 the SP-570 has the specs, at least, to perform well in low light.

The SP-570 UZ will be available in March, for a suggested price of around $499.99.

Olympus Stylus 1010/1020 specifications:

[​IMG]

Sensor10.0 megapixel, 1/2.33" CCD
    Zoom20x (26-520mm) zoom, f/2.8-4.5
    LCD/Viewfinder2.7", 230K-pixel HyperCrystal LCD with five steps of brightness adjustment
    SensitivityISO 50-6400
    Shutter Speed15-1/2000 seconds
    Shooting ModesAuto, Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, My Mode, Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization, Scene, Movie
    Scene PresetsPortrait, Landscape, Landscape-Portrait, Night Scene, Night Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Candle, Self-Portrait, Available Light Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Multi-Firework, Cuisine, Behind Glass, Documents, Auction, Shoot & Select 1, Shoot & Select 2, Smile Shot, Beach & Snow, Pre-Capture Movie, Underwater Wide 1, Quick Shutter
    White Balance SettingsiESP 2 Auto, One-Touch, Daylight, Overcast, Fluorescent 1, Fluorescent 2, Fluorescent 3, Incandescent, White Balance Compensation
    Metering ModesDigital ESP, Spot, Center-Weighted, Face Detection AE
    Focus ModesiESP Auto, Spot AF, Face Detection AF, Full-Time AF, Selective AF, Target AF, AF Lock, Predictive AF, Manual, Macro, Super Macro
    Drive ModesNormal, High Speed, Exposure Bracketing, Interval Shooting
    Flash ModesAuto, Red-Eye Reduction, Fill, Forced Off
    Self Timer Settings
    12 seconds, Off
    Memory FormatsxD-Picture Card
    Internal Memory
    45 MB
    File FormatsJPEG, RAW, AVI
    Max. Image Size3648x2736
    Max. Video Size
    640x480, 30 fps
    Zoom During VideoNot Specified
    Battery4 AA batteries
    ConnectionsUSB 2.0, AV output, DC input
    Additional FeaturesDual Image Stabilization, TruePic III processor, Face Detection, Perfect Shot Preview, Shadow Adjustment Technology

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

What I like (and don't have on my Canon S5):

1 - 20x zoom
    2 - wide angle
    3 - zoom ring on lens
    4 - 13.5 fps (even if it's only at 3 mp)

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Wow, this is one heck of a camera. I like it, but I fear that the price tag is going to drive many people away from this and to cameras such as the Nikon D40. The price is just too close to the DSLRs in my opinion.

Features are great. I don't like the AAs, I would much prefer to have seen a Li-Ion. Other than that, looks good.

4. David Rasnake

It certainly does look impressive, and makes some clear improvements on the SP-560 UZ. We've heard that the interface is improved, and given that this was one of the biggest frustrations with the last generation, I'm optimistic. It is pricey, though to get that kind of range you really would need three (or two expensive) lenses, which puts your D40 example, Caleb, a bit further out in terms of price.

Still, it doesn't have an APS-C sized sensor like a DSLR either...

dr

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Thats true. I didn't consider the cost of lenses into that. Makes this a bit more attractive. Part of what I would like to see though is actual lens performance and such.

6. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I can't tell from the description, does the lens have to extent from rest to be useful?
    -a

7. David Rasnake

Yep, I believe it does (which probably - though not certainly, depending on the design - means an extension tube for filters, lens hoods, etc.).

dr

8. jcw

jcw New Member

This camera looks like what we are looking for, but have a question.
    We are looking for a camera for action shots for our kids involved in sports, particularly baseball. We would like a camera that is going to be able to stop action even in low light. Our son is a pitcher, so the fps is a feature that is important too. We'd like for the camera to be able to stop the ball in flight as we photograph. Does this camera, that you can tell, offer that? What feature is that called?
    We have an older Olympus and it takes great photos, so the name is appealing to us since we've had such good experience with Olympus.
    Thanks for any help!

9. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

If you want to stop the action effectively, especially in low light with decent FPS, your probably going to have to go with a DSLR. Fill out the FAQ in the "What Camera Should I Buy" forum so we can hep you out more specifically.

10. David Rasnake

Hi jcw,
    You will likely get more specific answers with a post in the "What camera should I buy?" forum, as usapatriot suggests. In terms of speed, the SP570 UZ is still anyone's guess at this point, but performance looks to be largely similar to its predecessor in most ways. Check out the Olympus SP560 review for more on this. If anything, with more SLR-like features, the SP570 will be slightly better, perhaps.

While performance between what are supposedly mild upgrades is occasionally drastically improved (or worsened), based on what we know about this one, I'd be surprised if we're surprised (if that makes sense).

All of that said, a DSLR will perform much more consistently in terms of speed, if this is your primary consideration.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.