Worried...Sony A57 - Rubbed over mirror with cloth

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Rudlin, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

Hello,

I just owned this lovely camera for two days and I did really stupid thing, i rubbed over mirror with a cloth to remove dust from it.

I was learning as-i-go with my camera's manual but i completely neglected cleaning part and now i regret it. I says explicitly not to touch camera mirror and yet i rubbed over it lightly and I'm wondering what damage could it have possibly caused.

So far I haven't noticed any noticeable differences in picture quality, I really hope I didn't cause any damage for that I will keep my hand away from camera's insides.

Please tell what should I be looking for and what could possible be affected.

Thanks for the answers

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm sure you didn't damage it but if you're really worried take it to a photo shop and have them look at it.

3. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

Thank you Andy, strangely even with more dust that actually landed on mirror before I tried to clean it picture quality didn't suffer at all (at least that what I think).

4. Jim Keenan

Jim Keenan News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The main test is the time-honored Mark I Eyeball test - if image quality still looks OK to you there's probably no need to worry. Instead of actually touching the mirror with a cloth in the future, try using a blower bulb - either one with a brush or one without to blow dust off the mirror. That usually works for all but the most persistant dust spots. By now you've certainly read the suggested procedures in the manual for future reference.....

I personally DO NOT used compressed air out of an aerosol-type can in order to avoid possibly leaving a propellant residue on the mirror - the blower bulb has always worked OK for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.