Would you wait?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by emissary, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emissary

emissary Member

I'm between the Canon SX30IS, the Panasonic FZ40, the Panasonic FZ100, and the new Sony DSC-HX100V. I was told here http://forum.digitalcamerareview.co...i-buy/26030-another-bridge-camera-search.html that the FZ100 falls below the FZ40 in image quality. I don't understand that, and I'm sure it's because I don't know what I'm looking at. To me, it looks like they are the same camera, but the 100 has a few extra bells and whistles. Someone please clarify that for me.

But here's the fundamental question. Do I go ahead and buy one of those that's already on the market, or do I wait on the Sony? The difference in money means very little. The wait bothers me, but not if I'm going to get a clearly superior product in the Sony. The Sony looks sexy, offers resolution=16.2mp, and Carl Zeiss is a recognizable name to me, who is an individual who knows absolutely nothing about photography. Does a Zeiss lens on a p&s actually mean anything at all, or is it just good marketing?

So, would you wait on it? Or is Sony a non-entity in the market niche in which I'm shopping? Or do we not know enough about the new Sony to say for sure?

Hit me with your opinion.

Thanks!

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Zeiss is a good indicator, not just sales fluff. However, all of these ultrazoom cameras are limited more by small sensors than by lenses. From one brand to the next expect to see greater difference in auto focus speed, color tones, default contrast, and low light auto white balance. For most purposes sharpness will be a minor difference.

Kelly Cook

3. Kristin5

Kristin5 Member

I am interested to hear from the experts on this too, as I am tossing up between the Panasonic FZ100 and the new Sony HX100V. I really love the speed of the Panasonic (shot-to-shot time and shutter lag) and don't know if the Sony will be as good as or even superior in this area? And will it be better in low-light situations, where the FZ100 is apparently not? (However, I am very much an amateur photographer, and a lot of the image quality talk possibly doesn't apply to me as I can't see the difference!) I have discounted the Nikon P500 due to poor battery life (though I will be buying a spare anyway, but 220 shots per battery charge is pretty bad!)

I will keep an eye on this thread for sure!

4. emissary

emissary Member

As far as I can tell, the fps and shutter speeds are almost identical between the FZ100 and the Sony. The Sony just boasts higher resolution (16.2mp) and a Zeiss lens. Everything else seems comparable between the two.

I've just about made up my mind, but I wanted to see if anyone can provide some feedback that is relevant and understandable to me as an amateur.

5. Kristin5

Kristin5 Member

I read yesterday that the Panasonic's Leica lens is supposedly better than the Zeiss, but it probably doesn't make much difference in these bridge cameras (I think the lens is more important in DSLR's maybe?) The number of resolutions doesn't worry me too much either (anything around 10mp is fine for me). I just want something that has a good zoom and can take photos fast (I have an always-on-the-go little boy!), as well as good quality video. I think the FZ100 will suit my needs (and really, there are always going to be new models coming out - I can't wait for them all!)

I can get the FZ100 here in Australia for under $500 (it retails for $800 though!) - and I think the Sony is going to retail for around $700 (and doubt that there will be too many discounts when it is first released).

So yeah, I have probably made up my mind too - unless someone can really WOW me about the Sony! (Hard to do when it hasn't even been released yet).

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I would definitely wait for the Sony HX100v. The earlier version, the HX1, was probably the best ultrazoom when it was released.

As for the Panasonic FZ100 I can only say that I've read numerous reviews. Some are excellent, but many find fault with the sharpness of the images.

As I said, I'd wait for the Sony.

7. camera3d

camera3d Member

How long do you hold a camera 1- 2 years ? more ? I would wait a little while and get the Sony, other wise you will be holding an 'old version' of camera for 1-2 years from now, while waiting a little may let you own a brand new technology for the next years.

8. emissary

emissary Member

Well, my last one lasted about 6 years until it was so obsolete that I was ashamed to take pictures with it. My iPhone has better resolution.

I'll ask the question another way. Take away my bias toward models. I want to spend between $400 and $500. Not a penny over. For the whole shooting match. What model best suits my desires? Do I really need an ultrazoom, and am I sacrificing image quality for zoom? Is there a camera that will give me less zoom, bigger sensor size (better image quality) and be in the same money range? Or am I just overthinking this and I need to shut up and buy a camera?

9. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes there are a few - Canon G12, Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Nikon P7000 and Samsung TL500. All have excellent image quality - the best you can get out of a point and shoot camera. But they are expensive and have a limited amount of optical zoom. The Canon S95 is the least expensive but it's just as good, if not better, than the others.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what is meant by whole shooting match. But the Panasonic G10, Samsung NX10, and Sony A390 can also be found for just under $500. All with a bigger sensor than any point and shoot. So, in theory, better IQ. But if you don't want to spend time with an editor tuning up the images, then it's unlikely the difference in IQ would be realized. Of course the standard zoom lenses for these don't have anywhere near the telephoto of an ultrazoom P&S.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.