Z1015 IS 'A'perture priority?

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by lochan, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lochan

lochan New Member

Hi just treated myself to one of these Z1015 IS cameras for giving up smoking :eek: ........had hoped to be able to do some 'trick' photography later on as I get used to the camera. However I cannot get the camera to move any further than f3.5 and f7 ! whats on! Kodak have been selling the Z1015 as its flagship camera and I expected better from them. Shame I didn't notice its poor aperture range whilst choosing between makes/cameras. Its almost enough to start me smoking again :D Seriously though, is there a workaround a newbie like me can do to overcome this as I really wanted to be able to combine an aperture of f14 (as shown in the Z1015IS manual example) or even smaller with a slow shutter to try water smoothing etc, seeing as how we're limited to shutter delay times as well.
    regards lochan

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

According to the Kodak website, the aperture range for the Z1015is is F3.5 to F5.4. I don't think there's anything you can do to change this.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Many point-and-shoots (and the Z1015 may be among them) only have two aperture options: "open" and "closed," basically. In this case, generally, both settings will vary with your zoom range, meaning you'll get something like 3.5 and 7 at one end of the zoom range, and 5.4 and 14 at the other, but no stops in between at any given zoom setting. Make sense?

dr

4. lochan

lochan New Member

Thanks Gents, guess I'll just have to grin 'n bear it.
    regards lochan

5. djmusic130

djmusic130 Member

While you cannot set the aperature directly, you can control it via zoom. The unit has quite a range, but you really have to learn to work with the zoom position. Also be aware that the longer the zoom, the greater the distance that is considered "macro" by the camera. At full zoom, macro focus is necessary at several feet. At full wide, macro is much closer. It's a very flexible camera, but it takes some work to get there.

Hope this helps.

6. djmusic130

djmusic130 Member

Wanted to clarify. You can set the aperature to full open or full closed in aperature mode. You can't set anything in-between. That is what you control by zooming. Sorry for any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.