Z1085 Is. . .

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by lare, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lare

lare Member

Does anyone have it yet? Any comments?

This is the camera I have been waiting for since the middle of last year when Kodak announced a breakthrough in developing low light technology.

With an ISO capability of up to ISO 8000, with normal sized images up to ISO 3200, this might be the giant in the category of low light digital photography.

Interestingly, the sister camera, the z1285 does not have as high an ISO rating.

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

From what I can tell the camera is not available yet.

ISO 3200 will be very noisy on the camera and ISO 8000 will probably be unusable, just because manufacturers include super high ISO settings on my cameras today, doesn't mean that they will perform well at these high ISO's. High ISO capability (3200 +) in less than Full Frame DSLR models today is pretty much a marketing gimmick today, just like megapixels.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I have one sitting on my desk right now, though it just came in the other day and I haven't had time to do much with it. What I can say preliminarily:

• The menus/interface are very polished, and seem to be relatively easy to navigate
    • Focus acquisition seems, in very limited shooting, to be good
    • While not fantastic, build quality is much better than some older Kodaks
    • As with previous Kodaks, the image stabilization system is rather noisy (not in terms of images, but that it actually makes a fairly loud audible sound when set to continuously correct)

We're still extremely early on in the review process, but initial impressions are that high-ISO noise doesn't look that bad. Here's a 100% crop at ISO 1600:

1600_crop.JPG

That said, I'm betting ISO 8000 won't be of much use, but it does seem to have at least decent snapshot capability up to ISO 1600, which puts it better off than many compacts based on early impressions.

More to come as this review develops. I should have something more final in a couple of weeks.

dr

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Interesting, I can't wait for that review then!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.