ZoomBrowser EX problem...

Discussion in 'Canon' started by cooler2005, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooler2005

cooler2005 Member

Hi..

I installed ZoomBrowser EX version 6 from the CD that came with the camera.

It installed perfectly, but when i run it, it gives me a "critical error".

Am i supposed to open zoombrowser with the camera attached even if i've already transferred the pictures on my hdd

or is this a version compatibility problem..??

Thanks

2. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

Which model of Canon camera are you using? It may be a compatibility problem with your OS. Which OS are you using?

You can go to www.powershot.com, click on your camera model, then click the Downloads & Drivers tab, then select your OS, then see if your version number agrees with your ZB version. Canon seems to list a new version of ZB with the added word "Updater", so you might try downloading the OS appropriate version and install it.

Dennis

3. kanehi

kanehi Well-Known Member

I have a feeling you're using Vista x64. If not, uninstall reboot, reinstall the program.

4. cooler2005

cooler2005 Member

i'm using canon sx100 Is....i tried uninstalling zoombrowser and downloaded it from canon's website....but the problem remains...

i'm on windows xp sp2..

5. cooler2005

cooler2005 Member

no...i'm usign windows xp sp2....tried everything...

6. denncald

Try running Windows Update. Service Pack 3 came out this spring, so perhaps there is some issue with your version of XP not being current. I'm running XP SP3. I haven't had any problems with Zoom Browser for the past three years. I was using it with my A620, and now also with my G9 (plus the A620).

Also, is there specific information provided with the error message, other than the words "critical error"? Perhaps more information would help identify something like a corrupted driver or file.

Are you using any other photo editing software? Does your hard drive have plenty of storage space left on it? How much RAM do you have? Do you know whether your computer has a video card, or is there a video chip embedded on the motherboard? Do you know what central processor unit (CPU) your computer uses? I'm just fishing here looking for things that could cause your computer to run into problems and generate error messages due to hardware issues, or even conflicts with other software.

Edit: another question is do you connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable provided, and this is when you get the error? Or, do you off-load pictures by inserting the SD card in to a card reader to transfer? If you use the USB cable (my method), do you plug the USB cord into a port on your computer or in to a USB hub (my method)?

Dennis

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. denncald

Re: other alternatives...

Here's a thread from another forum discussion about the same problems. The discussion suggests not using ZB, and instead use other software like Picasa from Google (free). I'm not advocating that, but it is an option.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6008895

Dennis

8. cooler2005

cooler2005 Member

hi...sorry for such a late reply..!

will try installing the windows update as you said...

as for the error message...i get a critical error saying "invalid class string".

i use photoshop for photo manipulations and all...no other software other than the adobe and corel packages.

hard drive has over 80 GB of space left....RAM i have is 1 GB....it's a video card embedded on the motherboard....it's intel..

well...i use the cable provided with the camera...i can transfer images without any problems what so ever.....the error i get is when i try running zoomBrowser EX standalone. The frist time i tried was when my camera was not attached to the PC...but the error shows everytime even if the camera is connected or not...i connect the cable to the usb port of my CPU...

9. denncald

You might try uninstalling ZB, and then reinstall using the latest version downloaded from Canon. However, in reference to the uninstall, you should first uninstall everything named Canon xxx through your Control Panel and Add Remove Programs feature. Then, to get rid of any miscellaneous odds and ends that might prevent a clean reinstall, also download and use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility. Use it to remove anything that has the Canon name. I had to go this route with my PDA software (Palm). It would not allow me to run a good reinstall after I did an uninstall. The cleanup utility allowed me to get rid of all the stubborn pieces that were preventing a reinstall.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6030075.html (info on the utility)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 (Microsoft page about the utility, with a link to download it)

On second thought, I would recommend you do your reinstallation using the CD that came with the Camera, rather than beginning with all the installation files you would have to download from Canon. I'm guessing there is some DLL issue with the software that may be corrected by a clean install from your CD. At least, that is how it should function.

Dennis

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. kanehi

kanehi Well-Known Member

Turn off your antivirus first before installing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.