ZS5 - System Error - Warranty?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Nonprofittech, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nonprofittech

Nonprofittech New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum, but have lurked for quite some time. Unfortunately I was compelled to register and post because of a problem with my Panasonic DMC-ZS5

This is the second ZS5 I have owned. The first had the exact same problem and since it was out of warranty I tossed it.

The error I receive upon turning the camera on is SYSTEM ERROR (FOCUS). Sometimes it is SYSTEM ERROR (ZOOM), but usually the former.

As best as I can tell, the gears that zoom the lens in and out appear to be stuck. I can hear a "grinding" noise, so my best guess is that a grain of sand or some other debris keeps getting stuck in there.

But I could be WAY off the mark. I am literally just guessing.

My question is two fold.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this error? I have been shocked at the lack of results on a google search. I have experienced twice in two cameras so I just assumed others would have as well.

2. Does anyone have any experience contacting Panasonic for a warranty claim? I am not even sure where to begin or what I need.

Thanks for any help at all, and hope you are all having better luck with your cameras than I am!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

It sounds like a serious problem but just to cover all the bases I'd recharge the battery, do a factory reset and try another memory card. If the problem persists it's probably mechanical.

3. Nonprofittech

Nonprofittech New Member

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

5. carl32768

carl32768 New Member

Hello,
    I came across this thread because my Panasonic ZS5 was having the same problem. I also discovered a solution that I have used on my camera, so I wanted to share. Unfortunately, it requires significant disassembly and reassembly of the camera, but if you have experience with electronics repair, are willing to spend 2-3 hours on it, and have no other options other than to throw the camera out, it might be worth a try.

The issue is that the fine focus mechanism becomes stuck. The mechanism consists of a screw-and-nut linear actuator driven by an electric motor. The issue occurs when the nut seizes on the screw, preventing the focus from being adjusted. To fix, disassemble the camera sufficiently to gain access to the fine focus control. You must detach the fine focus motor from the rest of the optical assembly. Then manually rotate the nut around the screw shaft to loosen it so that it can move freely. Once you have done this, reassemble the camera and turn back on. You may have to turn it on and off a few times, but it should work normally after that.

This problem has happened twice to my camera, and both times I have been able to fix it using the above method. Both times, my problem occurred when my camera got slightly wet - I'm not sure why that would cause the focus mechanism to seize, but nonetheless my procedure managed to fix it both times.

Below are some pictures which may be helpful in guiding you through the disassembly and reassembly:

Panasonic Lumix ZS5 Shutter Repair | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.