Quantcast My first non point and shoot.

+ Reply to Thread

Default My first non point and shoot.

I currently have a Sony W-290 point and shoot camera. I want to take my first step and move up to a more professional camera. I want to use it for photos of people. I have no idea where to start since there are so many cameras out there. My budget is between $300-500. Let me know what other information I can provide.

Default Re: My first non point and shoot.

Sorry forgot to include all this info:

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Between 300- 500$
    Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

not really important to me.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? I would like to print some big prints like 16x20.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

I want the pictures to look high quality and look good.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

yes. i would like to get more into photography

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Pictures of people. Portraits

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

I'd like to be able to 16x20 in some cases

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

both

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

no

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Not sure. I'm new to the cameras

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Not Really

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

No

Super Moderator/Reviewer

There are several categories of cameras in your price range that you may want to consider. All the cameras I'm recommending below have full manual exposure controls.

One is a high quality compact ultrazoom. The Panasonic ZS7 is small and unobtrusive but can take excellent pictures in good light and OK pictures in low light without a flash. A major advantage of the ZS7 is its long zoom lens (12x), which would enable you to zoom in from a distance. The long zoom is not as useful in low light/no flash situations.

Another possibility is a high quality point and shoot with a large sensor. The Canon S95 has excellent image quality in good light and pretty good image quality in low light as well. It's a small camera with a standard 3.7x zoom but its image quality is the best you're going to find in a point and shoot camera.

A third possibility is a small 4/3 camera. The Olympus E-PL1 has the large sensor of a DSLR but a small body. It takes excellent pictures, both indoors and outdoors and uses interchangeable lenses.

A fourth possibility is an actual DSLR. The Pentax K-X is a low-priced DSLR that includes advanced DSLR features like HD video and live view (setting up the image through the LCD) and takes excellent pictures, indoors and out. The Nikon D3000 is a very good introductory DSLR which lacks video and live view.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Great Thanks. Yeah I think I'm looking at DSLR because I don't care about the size and I'll be taking pics of to start first of my kids. I'll look into the ones you mentioned. I wouldn't need HD video but just a camera that takes great pictures that looks professional. All I have right now is a point and shoot Sony W-290 that I snap pics of with. I want the pics to look professional when I take them even though my skills a lacking on the photography side. A camera that can give me that professional look for a beginner but I'm sure a lot of the DSLR do that. Thanks

Exclamation Re: My first non point and shoot.

I want the pics to look professional when I take them even though my skills a lacking on the photography side. A camera that can give me that professional look for a beginner but I'm sure a lot of the DSLR do that.
    While it's true that the better technical quality that comes with a DSLR can potentially give a professional look, that does not come automatically with the camera. Is not guaranteed by the DSLR.

The main factors in that "professional look" when shooting people is picking the right background and lighting. Neither of which the camera can do by itself. Not even a DSLR. The skills needed for this are not rocket science, pretty easy to learn. And do not require a full blown DSLR. Links for food for thought -

Do you NEED a DSLR to make photography a serious hobby?

DCR Workshop: Flash Demystified, Part I

got my new camera--now some questions

Photography Tips for Beginners

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information