Quantcast Please help me choose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please help me choose!

Hi,

I'm a longtime member of the sister websites,but this is the first time I'm positng on here. I own an HP R707 (5 MP) that's starting to show it's age...simply put, I don't find hte pictures it takes all that impressive anymore (not like some of hte newer cameras I've seen). I think it's time for an upgrade. I filled out the FAQ:
    Which camera should I buy?

This short questionnaire will help the rest of us make good camera recommendations for you. Please answer each question carefully and succinctly.

The questions marked with a * are the most important.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Preferably not more than 500$ (CAD). I'd like to buy from FS/Bestbuy.ca, so that probably eliminates a few choices.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

I'd prefer it to be compact - nothing too bulky. But I care more about image quality - so I'd be willing to settle for a "compact" camera that takes great pics over something that is ultracompact but that takes worse pics.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

As many as possible (8-10). I really care about printing large size (posters) photos.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

4x woudl be preferable, but I guess I'd settle for 3.
    * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

Nah, I don't mind going into the menus...

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

I'll be using this camera to photograph my dogs. That means I'll need to take action shots, and pics under low light conditions (without flash, because it scares them!)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Yes, all the time.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes, I'd like the camera to do a great job in this case. I dont like using flash because it makees their eyes all flashy and scares them.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

The dogs will bne moving sometimes, so yeah.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I'd like to stay away from sony because of their proprietary memory format. I have a few SD cards laying around so I'd like to make use of htem.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

I was looking at the Cannon A640 and SD900. What's hte difference besides the price? I'm open to more suggestions provided they're available at FS/BB.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

I dont know..lol.

Point is, I care a lot about picture quality, and want a camera that'll take high resolution photos that look good both on screen and on paper. Thanks!

Site Admin

Default Re: Please help me choose!

To quickly answer your Canon A640 vs Canon SD900 question: The A640 is a more advanced camera with more shooting options, it's larger, and has a flip-out LCD. The SD900 is newer, has a new processor, and is really compact.

Since you'll be taking action shots and want to use the flash as little as possible, you'll need a camera that does high ISO shots well. High ISO lets you increase the shutter speed so that you can stop the action.

I'm not sure of Canadian prices, so I'll throw out some cameras that should roughly be in the price range, but you'll have to see what you can find.

The Fujifilm Finepix F series has made a name for itself with great high ISO performance. Look for the F20, F31fd models. They don't have optical image stabilization, but the high ISO performance is good.

Another place to look is Panasonic, especially since they have rolled out what they call Intelligent ISO Control. This feature lets you keep the ISO as low as possible, but if the camera detects a moving subject, it will increase the ISO so that it can stop the action. The Panasonic models also have optical image stabilization, which is also a great feature. See if you can find something in the Panasonic FX line, like the FX30, FX10, FX12. These FX cameras don't have manual exposure modes, so if you want them (like shutter priority, aperture priority), then see if you can find a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2.
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
    Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.Brighthand.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReview.com

Thanks for your reply! About the canon, it doesn't make much sense because the SD900 is 100$ more, but seems to have a smaller set of features than the A640. So would y ou stay away from the A640 then? It appears that none of those cameras you gave are available at futureshop or bestbuy. I dont care about buying from there in particular, but in canada, if those stores don't have it, then you probably cant get it at all. I also want to buy it locally so that I can return it if it doesnt work out of the box. Again, thanks for hte reply

Site Admin

Since the SD900 has newer hardware, it will be more expensive. Also, since it's "small and stylish", there's a premium for that.

I am a fan of the series of cameras that includes the A640 (A models with flip-out LCD). It's a good camera and takes great overall pictures. However, it may not be the best suited for your needs (but will still work).

I was just browsing the bestbuy.ca site. For over 8 megapixels, they don't have a ton of selection (only 8 cameras in this category). From this limited selection, a Canon may be the best option. (I see the A630, which is a sister camera to the A640).
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.Brighthand.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReview.com

Thanks for your reply.
    Yeah it's pretty limited here...really a shame. There is another camera store but it's a pretty small chain ,and hte prices are probably very inflated...I'd rather buy from a big box electronic store. That being said, what do you think my best option is? The portability is nice, but not what I want to buy teh camera for. Oh, and the A640 is available at FS (but not at best buy).

Site Admin

If you want something compact, stick to Canon's SD line. If you want something with more shooting features, that A640 is really good.
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

Great! For image quality though, would the A640 produce better shots?

Site Admin

Because it has more shooting features, it may cover a larger range of shooting conditions to get good results. Under standard/easy shooting conditions, I would expect image quality to be very similar.
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

Thanks!

I just went to Astral (A digital camera store), and the salesman said that the reason why my pictures didn't come out nice on paper was because of the printer I was using. I have an HP photo printer - the pics didnt come out very nice, so I took them to Staples to get them printed in the photo lab. Again, they didn't come out that much better. He said that if I brought him the pictures, they would print out much much nicer. THen he showed me a picture taken with a lousy 4 MP camera and I couldn't believe how good the quality was. Was this all just BS? Do I even need a new camera? Or do I just need to take them somewhere else to get printed?

Site Admin

I'd say to let him have an image to print. It's true the more megapixels doesn't mean more quality. If you're just printing 4x6 inch prints, 4 megapixels is more than enough. A lot of people can't actually tell the difference if you make a larger print with 4 megapixels.

However, I also don't have a very good opinion about the image quality from HP cameras. They can take good pictures, but it can be challenging to get one.
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information