Quantcast Looking for camera with HD that takes crisp pics please

+ Reply to Thread

Question Looking for camera with HD that takes crisp pics please

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. There is so much info and so many cameras to choose from. I am in the market to purchase a new, point and shoot camera. I was looking at the Nikon S9100, the Sony HX5V, and the Canon PowerShot SX230 cameras. I would like a camera about this size that produces CLEAR, CRISP photos as my #1 priority, great low light capability as my #2 priority. I do not care for manual controls. Also something that takes very good HD Video in low light. Zoom 10x or more. Price range no more than $400.

Which camera(s) do you think is best? I read that the Nikon and Sony models I mentioned above take "soft" pictures. Is this true? I really want something that can take very sharp, crisp pictures with great low light and the capability to take good HD Video. What do you recommend off the top of your head? I'm no camera guru and would appreciate your recommendations as to which would be best for my needs. Any other cameras that I have not mentioned above that would be good? Thanks so much for any help you can provide for me.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for camera with HD that takes crisp pics please

I really want something that can take very sharp, crisp pictures with great low light and the capability to take good HD Video.
    The cameras you mentioned are compact ultrazoom point and shoot cameras and are not good in low light without a flash. But for $400 you can afford the Olympus E-PL1 and the Panasonic G10, two cameras that have much larger sensors than point and shoots and, as a result, can take much better pictures. They're a bit larger than the cameras you've been looking at and their standard lenses have only a 3x optical zoom but their image quality is much better, especially in low light.

Here are some sample images:

E-PL1
    The World's Best Photos of olympus and epl1 - Flickr Hive Mind

G10 (actually images from the virtually identical G2)
    The World's Best Photos of panasonic and g2 - Flickr Hive Mind
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Hi Andy. Thanks so much for your recommendations. I will take a look at the links you posted. If these cameras are larger than the ones I have mentioned, then they will not work for me. I'm looking for a more compact camera around that size. Also, I need zoom of at least 10x. I'm looking for the best camera I can get with image quality being the #1 priority with the added features (HD video and low-light capabilities) being secondary. If anyone can recommend which camera is the best in image quality for under $400 with the added features, that would be great! Thanks again!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

My favorite compact ultrazooms are the Panasonic ZS7, Sony HX5v and Canon SX210 IS. The newer versions are the ZS10, HX9v and SX230 HS, but I don't know how at this point how the new versions compare with the old. If they are similar either one will be a good general purpose point and shoot with a long zoom, but they will not give you the same level of image quality, especially in low light, as the large sensor cameras I mentioned above.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information