Quantcast Which Canon is right for me?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Which Canon is right for me?

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    ~$300-~350?

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Doesn't have to be micro sized, just small enough to squeeze in my purse.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    my current camera has 5.0, and I have no problems with the resolution.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    standard should be ok. I would like the zoom to be optical, not digital and optical blended together. A separate optional digital zoom is ok, I just want to not have to use that as part of the zoom.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    I'd really like higher image quality to be a big factor in the camera. Would prefer ~9

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    I always meant to learn how to use those on my current camera, but 3 years of laziness has taught me, that I probably never will. The standard camera settings have been ok so far.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    I take lots of pictures of my speedy dog indoors and out, as well as plenty of bar/party pictures of friends.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    I've only ever made 1 or 2 larger prints in the past, so not highly important.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Probably.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I currently have a Canon S500, and have liked it(~3 years of being slammed around in my purse are finally taking its toll on image quality). I definitely like Canon, and would prefer one with the same included square battery that I have several extras of already.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I've looked at the SD800 and SD850, but am open to other good suggestions, even non-Canon if there's a better camera.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilization would be nice, since I don't always have a steady hand.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
    Last edited by blandeena; 08-04-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Default Re: Which Canon is right for me?

Quote Originally Posted by blandeena View Post
    Budget

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I currently have a Canon S500, and have liked it(~3 years of being slammed around in my purse are finally taking its toll on image quality). I definitely like Canon, and would prefer one with the same included square battery that I have several extras of already.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I've looked at the SD800 and SD850, but am open to other good suggestions, even non-Canon if there's a better camera.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilization would be nice, since I don't always have a steady hand.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
    Since you're fond of Canon, I'd suggest the SD850 IS you've already considered. I did the review on the camera for this site and it would fill most of your requirements well.

It does not appear to use the same battery as your current Canon, but it does offer optical image stabilization, good flash performance (particularly in avoiding red-eye, and allowing you to fix it if it should occur) and a decent continuous shooting capability for that fast-moving dog.

If your low-light shooting will not involve flash, I'm currently reviewing a
    Fuji F40fd - a camera with a reputation for superior ISO noise performance amongst point & shoots - and the reputation is justified. At identical ISO levels, the Fuji is better, but it does not offer optical image stabilization and its continuous shooting capability is not as good as the Canon.

I do think more of my pictures tend to be outdoors. There are some indoor low light shots, but after really thinking about it, the vast majority are outdoor, natural lighting.
    It seems from reading some of the reviews that the SD800 is preferred over the 850 especially for the lens. I think some seem more favorable towards it for manual settings as well. I guess the manual part doesn't really effect me since I've never used them before. Is the picture difference that big of a difference to make the learning worth it? I usually just tend to take a ton of pictures, and some will luckily turn out really well.
    I'm horrible at decisions. If only I could play with the cameras I'm considering out in the real world instead of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by blandeena View Post
    I do think more of my pictures tend to be outdoors. There are some indoor low light shots, but after really thinking about it, the vast majority are outdoor, natural lighting.
    It seems from reading some of the reviews that the SD800 is preferred over the 850 especially for the lens. I think some seem more favorable towards it for manual settings as well. I guess the manual part doesn't really effect me since I've never used them before. Is the picture difference that big of a difference to make the learning worth it? I usually just tend to take a ton of pictures, and some will luckily turn out really well.
    I'm horrible at decisions. If only I could play with the cameras I'm considering out in the real world instead of the store.

The lens on the 800IS goes from 28 to 105mm - the 850IS is 35 to 140mm, so the 800 is a little wider, but not as much telephoto. Manual controls are the same on each - there really aren't any in the sense of having aperture or shutter priority, or full manual exposure.

Both are Canon Digic III processors, same size sensor, so the 800IS with fewer pixels (7.4MP vs. 8 on the 850IS) might be a tiny bit less noisy, but it's doubtful you'd notice any difference unless you looked at huge enlargements, and perhaps not even then.

Default Re: Which Camera is right for me?

well... i want to learn more about cameras..
    things i want from a camera

at least 10x or more
    price around 500 - 600 bucks
    digital
    easy user interface.. i want to be able to point and shoot but also fine tune settings later on
    any suggestions?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

For $500-600 you might look into the S5 IS. Its a great camera with the ability to be tweaked and tuned. However, with that budget, if you are interested in learning more, you might even look into an entry level DSLR, such as the XTi or new XSi. Then, as you learn more you can grow and add more.
    Nikon D200 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 ED-II | Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon SB-600
    Canon A570 IS

do you think getting a used or new camera is better.. because i hear you can possibly get a very good used camera.. ones better than cheaper new ones...

Super Moderator/Reviewer

It certainly depends on what you buy. If you get a good deal, I'm a fan of buying used. You just need to be careful that you don't get one that is damaged, and that's why its a good deal. I like places such as Keh Camera, B & H, or Adorama. The other option is to look at the models from the previous year (such as the XTi or D40). I bought my D70 from my dad, so I knew it was in great shape and worked, and got a good deal!
    Nikon D200 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 ED-II | Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon SB-600
    Canon A570 IS

Thread Information