Quantcast Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

I am new to dslr and narrowed down my options to nikon d5100 and canon d600. Most of the features of these 2 are comparable, however d600 is costier here by us$ 150. (we have just two authorised dealers; one for canon and nikon each and no other choice). Given the feature comarison and many comments on other sites, i feel inclined to d5100. Yet i am not sure about 1., the jpeg image quality comparison and 2., how it will fare (cost / complexity) in terms of growing with either of the brands in the long run. Can i have, please, some guiding suggestion on what to choose based on my above two concerns and also the cost differential?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

The Nikon D5100 and Canon EOS 600D are both very good DSLR's with excellent image quality and speed. Here are the main differences.

In Canon's favor:
    Has more megapixels, 18 vs 16.
    Has digital zoom, the Nikon doesn't.
    Has a larger viewfinder.
    Has a better "live view" mode.
    Allows more control over video recording.
    Provides more dedicated control buttons (less access to the menu needed).

In Nikon's favor
    Automatically corrects for chromatic aberration (purple fringing), barrel distortion and pincushion distortion. the Canon does not.
    Has better low light image quality.
    Has more white balance presets, 12 vs 6.
    Has a more comprehensive smart auto mode.
    Has a better flash.
    Has a longer lasting battery between charges.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

My experience is with the Canon EOS 50D, which is not drastically different from the 600D. Reviews indicate that JPG results from both brands are very good. If JPG means you are also sticking with the Auto modes, Nikon AE seems to consistently underexpose, but this is to a very slight degree. Nothing that any editor can't handle. If your IQ religion is to keep highlights at the cost of shadow, this isn't even underexposing at all. My 50D gives very good AE results at the wideangle end. Telephoto zooming can be more erratic. And if JPG means sticking with the default Picture Control / Style settings for color, there are more slight differences. Nikon color may be more "natural", Canon more "attractive", depends on the viewer. Check sample images for yourself. Colors are not quite so easy to tweak with an editor as exposure. So many buyers make their choice on color rather than AE accuracy. RAW shooters don't care much about either.

In point-by-point feature comparisons Nikon bodies have the edge. Which is not to say the Canons are hopeless. My dream camera would have been a Nikon D7000 body with a Canon 24-105 f/4L lens. Which ain't gonna happen. So what my budget actually ended up with was a Canon 50D with 28-135. Short version, my lens preference won out. No regrets, luv my 50D.

More thoughts on more threads -

Just Starting...Completely Overwhelmed!

Upgrading from a D40

Big post, wanting some advice.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Question Re: Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

Thank you very much Andy & Kelly, these are quite exploratory comments. I have seen the sample images from both the cameras at image resource and found the difference the way you have described it.

What about growing with one brand afterwards, is it similar for both?
    What would have you bought if you would have been at my place? (D5100 costs $750 and D600 costs here $900. both with similar kit lens.)

If your growth includes advanced (expensive) flash systems, then Nikon has a real advantage there. Otherwise the options are pretty similar. There are price differences in specific prime lenses, if that becomes key for you. But no pattern in this case. For one specific prime Canon can be a lot lower price, for another it may be Nikon with the low price. Zoom lens prices are pretty similar, especially if you include Sigma / Tamron / Tokina, who make lots of zooms for both brands.

As a one-shot package, your D5100 price has the advantage. Canon 550D is not shabby, if you can get it cheaper than the 600D.

I started out my search comparing specific models to each other. But in the end backed away from that. Instead compared the design differences between the brands. Design does not mean features, or even performance. Design means balance, feel, and what direction the companies take. For lenses as well as for bodies. I decided which design vibe was more comfortable for me, then went shopping for a deal for that brand.

Kelly

Smile Re: Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

thanks Kelly for a very informative and convincing reply. 550D is of exactly the same price as is for d5100. As far design and feel is concerned, I feel OK with both and that I will eventually get used to the one I ll buy. In general feature comparison I think d5100 has an edge over d550 and is almost equivalent to 600D. Based on this assumption I should opt for D5100 unless I learn that D550 has any decisive edge (e.g image quality or anything which can be very important for a new comer, since a new comer may not comprehend the real and practical value of many aspects)

Thanks again for your kind concern and attention.

HTML Code:
    As a one-shot package, your D5100 price has the advantage.  Canon 550D is not shabby, if you can get it cheaper than the 600D.
    I started out my search comparing specific models to each other. But in the end backed away from that. Instead compared the design differences between the brands. Design does not mean features, or even performance. Design means balance, feel, and what direction the companies take. For lenses as well as for bodies. I decided which design vibe was more comfortable for me, then went shopping for a deal for that brand.

Kelly[/QUOTE]

Eventually I am informed that the cameras are available at dealer and can be viewed. so I plan to see and feel them in next couple of days and then buy one on this Saturday. Mean while i re read your comments many times. As hinted by you about canon 550D, and that colors would be better with a canon (price of 550d is less than 600d and equal to d5100), would it be alright for me if choose d550 over d5100? (i know this may sound a bit stupid question! but this is a result of my lack of any practical knowledge into dslrs)

Colors are not really "better", just a slightly different flavor. So slight that many beginners would not detect that difference. There are sample images from both brands on this site, if you don't see a difference, don't worry about it. The D5100 has cool "pro" features like a foldout LCD, a few more AF points, and more than one Auto ISO range. The Canon 550D also has unique features, but these are packaged into distinct camera modes. Namely the A-DEP mode and Creative Auto mode. An approach that is more consumer biased, not what a pro would want. "Feel" for handling the Canon and Nikon are also different. Which was a big factor in my choosing Canon. But you will find lots of knowledgeable photogs who want nothing to do with Canon and are convinced the Nikon feels better. So this is a personal call. When you get to the store, take lots of time with each, don't let anybody hurry you.

no help Kelly

Lightbulb Re: Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

Believe me, you have been a big help Kelly!

Talking Re: Nikon d5100 or canon eos d600?

Got my D5100 with 18 - 55 kit lens today ...
    Thank you all for your help
    the wide angle lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED) i wanted to buy but ... God! its expensive, costs us$ 1000. Can anybody hint a cheaper option? the one one suggested above by Tim for low light portraits was not available.
    Yet to buy a bag and a tripod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information