Quantcast ... more Camera Recommendations

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ... more Camera Recommendations

Newbie here and having read many of the other posts asking for help, I'll insert my question, as well.

Being a photography novice at best, I currently use a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Digital ELPH. This info lets you know my approx dollar range for a new camera.

This has been a handy camera, given its size and ease of use, but it wasn't so friendly on a recent vacation. The battery life is short, and the length of time it takes between shots is unacceptable. I missed many opportunities while this PowerShot SD1100 was processing previous shots.

I don't require a lot of bells and whistles with my camera, but a basic upgrade to something that allows a reasonable number of shots per minute coupled with increased battery life would be good.

Hoping this provides enough info to get started here, I'll thank you for your thoughts.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: ... more Camera Recommendations

The Canon Elph 100 HS and Panasonic SZ7 are two small, relatively inexpensive, quick cameras with good image quality and HD movie ability. Neither has particularly great battery life (rated about 220 shots per charge) but that's standard for today's small cameras. Both are much quicker than your SD1100. The SZ7 has a long 10x optical zoom while the Elph 100 has a 4x optical zoom.

Here are some sample images:
    SZ7
    panasonic sz7 - Flickr: Search

Elph 100
    canon elph 100 - Flickr: Search
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Both are much quicker than your SD1100. The SZ7 has a long 10x optical zoom while the Elph 100 has a 4x optical zoom.
    Hi Andy - Thanks for the info. So the SD1100 I have used for the past several years cost me more to buy than your two examples but performs at a lower level? Just curious. How do I do it time and again? (grin)

If I moved up to the $300 level for a basic digital camera, could you recommend something superior in speed and quality that surpasses the S27 and/or the Elph 100? I was recently in Yellowstone and missed many photos of birds in flight. Also, moving animals escaped having their photo taken more than one time as they hurried for the cover of the woods.

Thanks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The main differences between the Canon Elph 100 HS and the $300 Canon, the SX260 HS, is that the latter is larger and heavier (though still pocket-sized), has a very long zoom lens (20x), the option of manual exposure controls and a built-in GPS. Image quality is not that different from the Elph 100 HS. Speed is approximately the same (both are fairly speedy cameras).

The situation is similar between the Panasonic SZ7 and the ZS20 (though the ZS20 is about $230). Like the Canon SX260 HS, the ZS20 has a 20x optical zoom, manual exposure controls and a built-in GPS. The ZS20 also has a touch-screen LCD. Image quality is about the same in both and both are very speedy (faster than the Canons). If you don't need the GPS or a touch-screen and if 16x optical zoom is sufficient for your needs, the Panasonic ZS15 is very similar to the ZS20 but about $30-$50 less expensive.

Here are some sample images from the SX260 and the ZS20:
    SX260
    canon sx260 - Flickr: Search

ZS20
    panasonic zs20 - Flickr: Search
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

If you don't mind a larger camera, the Panasonic FZ47 is sold online for about $280. It has all the features of the ZS15 (no GPS) but it's larger (not pocket sized), has a longer 24x zoom lens, and a viewfinder. The FZ47 is sometimes referred to as a "bridge" camera because it's a bridge between a point and shoot and a DSLR.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Andy - Your suggestions are appreciated. I couldn't have asked for more info. I'll check out both the FZ47 and the ZS15.

Just to clarify, when I say, "faster" my intent is with regard to the time it takes for the camera to ready itself between shots. Are we talking about the same thing? For instance, I have no desire to photograph bullets, etc. My PowerShot SD1100 requires approx 5 seconds between shots. Frustrating at times. No problem taking photos of the Christmas tree.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

A camera's overall quickness really refers to two basic factors.

One is how long it takes between pressing the shutter button and taking the picture, which is often referred to as "shutter lag". It's extremely annoying to try to take a picture only to have the subject move between the time you've pressed the button and the time the picture is taken. DSLR's have practically no shutter lag, which is one reason why good photographers prefer them. Shutter lag can be a problem with some point and shoot cameras. But the cameras I mentioned don't have that problem, especially the Panasonics.

Another factor is the time it takes between shots. This is another area where DSLR's excel and point and shoot cameras sometimes don't. The Panasonics I recommended are very quick between shots - about 1-2 seconds. The Canons are a bit slower, about 2-3 seconds. All cameras are going be slower between shots taken with the flash on to enable the flash to recharge.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Excellent. Thank you.

Hi Andy - My initial post was made back in August ... and I still haven't made my purchase on a basic pocket camera, but I'm strongly leaning toward the Panasonic ZS15, one of those which you listed as a possibility for me. I have no need for a GPS or a touch screen and my main objective here is to upgrade my Power Shot SD1100 IS. This camera takes pretty good photos (IMO) and is easy to use, but the short battery life coupled with the lengthy pause between shots has become too frustrating to deal with.

Amazon has the ZS15 listed for $149. Unless you have had some change of heart since our August discussion, I'll make that purchase and forget about it. Recently trying to take photos with my current Canon PowerShot and having the batteries give out when least expected, my desire to upgrade has intensified.

If you think of an alternative to the ZX15 which increases my dollar value purchase, I'd love to hear about it. I can spend up to $250 at this time.

Thanks always for your help.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I still like the ZS15 but, as you can see from my signature, I recently purchased a Canon Elph 110 HS, which was on sale for $130. The reason I picked the Elph over the ZS15 is that the Elph is much smaller and fits more easily in the pocket. Its low light ability and quickness are equal to that of the ZS15, but it lacks the long zoom lens of the ZS15. Its battery life is not great either. But it meets my needs well.

For an upper limit of $250 you might want to consider the Canon SX260, which is now being sold for under $200. The SX260 is better in low light than the ZS15 and has more zoom. It's not quite as quick, though and its battery life is slightly less than the ZS15.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information