Quantcast What Digital Camera is good for novice teenager that will grow with them? (Photo & Video?)

+ Reply to Thread

Default What Digital Camera is good for novice teenager that will grow with them? (Photo & Video?)

Looking for a good camera for our teenage Daughter (15 Years Old). We would like something that will do both photos and video and have the ability to save still shots from the videos.

Which camera should I buy?

This short questionnaire will help the rest of us make good camera recommendations for you. Please answer each question carefully and succinctly.

The questions marked with a * are the most important.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Prefer to stay around $150-$200 but willing to go to $250-$300 if needed for the desired options.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? She needs something fairly small.

Something she could carry in her pocket would be best but something slightly bigger if needed for the options needed.

Features

Needs to do photo and video with the ability to take still shots from the video in playback mode and/or while taking video without interupting the video. Editting options would be a huge plus but not required as she can use a computer program to do her edits.

Other features are, Image Stabilization, Auto-focus, Water-proof or water resistant, Shock Proof, Color is not important but in her words "preferrally pretty (but I'm not picky, or gonna complain) but, no PINK unless no other choice is possible".

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

At least 16MP if possible? The more the better?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

Ultrazoom would be best but no less than 5X. Again more is better.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

7-8. Pictures are not planned to be enlarged and if they are not bigger than 8X10.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

I would think Auto would be best, it could have manual settings as well as auto that she could experiment with as she developes her skills but I think auto should be best starting out.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Most uses would be standard photos and action shots

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Not under normal use but if prints are made most would be standard 3x5, 5x7, and the biggest might be an 8x10.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

I would say at least half will be indoors and limited light

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Yes sports/action shots will be taken, I would guess around 25% or so?

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

No brand loyalties.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

No, We are starting with a blank slate so-to-speak.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Wide-Angle would be a plus, Image Stability, Weather proof/Waterproof/Water resistant, and a screen would be preferred.

Thanks in advance to all who respond and help.
    Last edited by gmcjimmy88; 09-28-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Super Moderator

Default Re: What Digital Camera is good for novice teenager that will grow with them? (Photo & Video?)

A couple of things to consider.
    No digital camera that I'm aware of will allow you to take pictures while simultaneously taking a video or playing back a video.
    Secondly, there are relatively few waterproof point and shoot cameras available so sticking with this factor will limit your choices.

Looking at waterproof point and shoot cameras only, the best ones within your price range (at the upper end) are the Olympus TG-820, the Panasonic TS4 and the Nikon AW-100. Of the three the Olympus is the quickest and has the sharpest LCD screen though it's the only one without a GPS. All three take good looking pictures and HD movies. Here are some sample pictures from the three cameras:
    Olympus TG-820
    tg-820 olympus - Flickr: Search

Panasonic TS4
    panasonic ts4 - Flickr: Search

Nikon AW100
    nikon aw100 - Flickr: Search

If you are willing to move away from the waterproof requirement you can afford several nice point and shoots with long zoom lenses, such as the Canon SX260 HS, Panasonic ZS20, Fuji F770EXR and Nikon S9300. Of the four the Canon probably has the best overall image quality and the Panasonic is the most responsive (quickest). They all take high quality stills and videos.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: What Digital Camera is good for novice teenager that will grow with them? (Photo & Video?)

The Sony RX100 will take photos as you're taking video - and as imperfect as most compacts are, it does approach perfection more than others. However it's *well* outside of your budget.

If it were me I'd just go for a regular superzoom like the SX240HS for the time being.
    "The secret to photography? F/8 and be there." ~ Wilbur Garrett, National Geographic

... allow you to take pictures while simultaneously taking a video ...
    My old Canon S3 IS claimed to have this feature. But what really happened was that the video was interrupted while the still image was taken. This interruption was a noticeable gap in the video. Better to figure on using a video editor later to pick out a single frame. Of course this limits that frame to the video 1920x1080 resolution.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Hi there,

I personally use Kodak Zi8, but is not waterproof. The Flip is also a good option but again not waterproof. You can get waterproof cases for both. Not sure how effective they are though.

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX10 is good for indoor and outdoor and is also waterproof. It is also a slim, small camera and simple (means good) design. Waterproof depth 16 feet.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 - bit more complex design. Tough in harsh conditions. Waterproof up to 40 feet.

Nikon CoolPix AW100 - waterproof depth 30 feet, sporty look and feel. Has built in GPS.

Google them.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 10-09-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Deleted Signature

Thread Information