Quantcast Help! Need help finding perfect digital camera for me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help! Need help finding perfect digital camera for me!

I been looking for a new camera for 1 week now and I am as confused as ever!!!

I'm mostly looking for pic quality as I tend to 'fix' and 'crop' my pics. I also zoom in a lot .... looking for at least 15x optical zoom .... Wifi would be a + but not if it compromised quality pic (meaning I'd rather go with better pics then less quality having wifi)

Here's where I'm confused ... MPs and Sensor type!! Do CCD take better quality pics then CMOS? Or is a combination with MP and or lens type?

In the last 2 years I have taken about 10000 pics with a Canon Powershot SD3500 but I never liked the quality of pics.

Any advice on what cam would suit my needs? I would rather not go higher than $300-$350

BTW I have looked at the Samsung WB850F - SONY CyberShot DSCH90 - Fujifilm F800EXR

pls HELP!!!!
    Last edited by Sandra75; 10-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Help! Need help finding perfect digital camera for me!

CMOS sensors are better for low light pictures so most high quality cameras are using them. Almost all point and shoot cameras have more than enough megapixels. Some have too many considering the size of the sensor, which could actually detract from low light picture quality. But, in general, don't be concerned about the number of megapixels. What's more important is that the camera has the features you want, has good image quality, is good in low light, and is speedy with little lag between the time you snap the shutter and the time the picture is taken as well as a short time between pictures (no more than 3 seconds without flash, the shorter the better).

Of the three cameras you've looked at the Samsung WB850f has the most features including a very bright AMOLED screen, built-in wireless (though you can get this feature in any camera if you use an eye-fi memory card) and a built in GPS. The Sony H90 has neither wireless, GPS or a particularly sharp screen, has a CCD sensor and is slower than the other two cameras.

However, probably the best cameras in the same class as the three you've looked at are the Canon SX260 HS, Sony HX20v and Panasonic ZS20. They all have very long zoom, take great looking pictures and movies and have a built-in GPS (but no wireless). The Canon is probably the best in low light but is slower than the Sony and Panasonic.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you!!

When you say some cameras have too much mp considering the size of the sensor, how do I know that when I look at cams?

"Slow" is the time between pics?

Yes the Samsung has a lot of options ... But pic quality is really where I have to priorities ... Since I was really desapointed with my canon sd3500. Am guessing between the 3 I was looking at, the pic quality is about the same?
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 10-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Thank you!!

When you say some cameras have too much mp considering the size of the sensor, how do I know that when I look at cams?
    If low light quality is very important to you and you've narrowed down your choice to two cameras, it's probably better to pick the one with fewer megapixels (assuming both have a CMOS sensor).

But there are other important factors besides low light image quality. For instance, the 12mp Canon SX260HS is better in low light than the 18mp Sony HX20v but the Sony has more features, is quicker and arguably has better image quality in good light. So which do you choose? It's a tough call.
    "Slow" is the time between pics?
    It's the time between snapping pictures and the time between pressing the shutter button and the time the camera actually takes the picture
    Yes the Samsung has a lot of options ... But pic quality is really where I have to priorities ... Since I was really desapointed with my canon sd3500. Am guessing between the 3 I was looking at, the pic quality is about the same?
    In good light all take good pics. In low light the Samsung and Fuji are probably better than the Sony.

Here are some sample pics from the six cameras:
    Samsung WB850f (pics from WB750)
    samsung wb750 - Flickr: Search
    Fuji F800EXR (pics from F770EXR)
    fuji f770exr - Flickr: Search
    Sony H90
    sony h90 - Flickr: Search
    Canon SX260HS
    canon sx260 - Flickr: Search
    Sony HX20v
    sony hx20v - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic ZS20
    panasonic zs20 - Flickr: Search

Overall the way I would rank these six cameras is:
    Canon SX260HS, Panasonic ZS20, Sony HX20v tied for first.
    Samsung WB850f, Fuji F800EXR tied for fourth
    Sony H90 sixth
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 10-11-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I am understanding way better now .... Thanks for the explinations.

I looked at all the links .... my eyes can't really tell quality pic difference on those pics, I thought all pics are great. With my Canon SD3500, pics come out crappy as soon as sun set (my kids' Halloween pics from last year are ruined) and pics are home are not that great. Is really on the blurry side ... Some times blurry enough to make my eyes watery.

So I can basically go down to a 12mp with a CMOS and have better pics in low light than a CCD higher MP? Am leaning more thoward Samsung WB850F or Fujifilm F800EXR both have about 16.1 and 16.2 effective MP. Is that too high MP?

Is the speed of each camera listed in their specifications or that is something I have to test at the store?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra75 View Post
    I am understanding way better now .... Thanks for the explinations.

I looked at all the links .... my eyes can't really tell quality pic difference on those pics, I thought all pics are great.
    I agree, they all take good looking pics.

So I can basically go down to a 12mp with a CMOS and have better pics in low light than a CCD higher MP?
    Yes, assuming the sensors are the same size (the sensors in 99% of point and shoot cameras are 1/2.3 inch diagonal).

Am leaning more thoward Samsung WB850F or Fujifilm F800EXR both have about 16.1 and 16.2 effective MP. Is that too high MP?
    No, they should produce great looking pics in almost all shooting situations.

Is the speed of each camera listed in their specifications or that is something I have to test at the store?
    No. But many camera websites (this one included) test for camera speed. While this website does not contain reviews of the Fuji F800EXR and Samsung WB850F I have seen such reviews elsewhere. There's no question but that the Fuji is quicker, probably enough to be noticeable. The Panasonic ZS20 is about as quick as the Fuji.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Super!!!!

Thank you all for your patience explaning me so well those details. I definately feel less confused and feel ready to check out the Fuji at the store!!!

Thanks! Sandra

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Fuji F800EXR is an excellent camera. But you'll find that it's quite expensive. You can save quite a bit with the 20x zoom Panasonic ZS20. It doesn't have built-in wifi but it does have a GPS, takes great pics and is very quick. If wifi is important to you the ZS20 can use the eyefi memory card, which will give you wifi capability.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

The Fuji F800EXR is on special here in Canada at $290 .... but and definately checking the Panasonic ZS20 out!!

Wifi would be a plus but I wouldnt put that in the way of having a better camera or similar camera performance for cheaper.

BTW is the the ZS20 you're talking about? PANASONIC DMCZS20S SILVER 14MP 20X WIDE ANGLE 3" DMCZS20S

Thank you! Definately checking out that Panasonic for sure!!

I just noticed there is also a Fuji F750EXR .... is there any difference with the F800EXR? They seem to be similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information