Quantcast Best Camera for Action Shots of Dogs?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Best Camera for Action Shots of Dogs?

Right now the only camera I have is the camera on my Iphone4.

Issues I have (I'm not surprised because it is a phone, but these are very important to me when buying a camera):
    -Action shots. I mostly take pictures of my dog and foster dogs. I like taking pictures of when they are playing, etc. It is very important to take cute action and non action pictures of foster dogs, as they are what "sell" the dogs to their forever homes.
    -Low Light/Night shots. My dog is a deep red with a purple tint so she blends into the dark, even with the flash on the iphone is on. I often take pictures outside, at night when I bring the foster dog home. I also take a lot of photos in the house and there's very low lighting, at least for my dog. It takes a good amount of light to get good picture of my dog because her fur is so dark. Even in sunlight, if I get in the way of the sun or if she lays in the shade, the picture does not turn out too great. I try to prevent myself from creating a shadow on her, but she's a dog. She's not extremely cooperative and she doesn't have much patience.

An example of my dog so you understand just how dark her fur is and the trouble I have with getting pictures where the poor lighting obscures her facial features or don't do justice for the color:
    (example: the attachment layingpretty.jpg ).

-Flash eyes. I absolutely do not like how every time I take a photo with the flash, her eyes light up like Christmas lights.I am not sure if there is anything I can do or a camera can do to get rid of it.
    -Color. Unless I am in the sunlight, the color of my dog's fur is off. It's gorgeous but the iphone camera does not do it justice inside the house or at night.

-I also like to share the photos on Facebook. So if the pictures could upload to Facebook without a cord, that would be cool, but it's not a must.

I'm not sure about the budget, the cheaper the better, but...no more than maybe $400-500? It's going to be a combined Christmas/birthday present from two people for me.
    It has to last practically forever!!! Waterproof would be nice in case I take it on trips, but not a must. Durable. I tend to drop things a lot. If it's not durable, maybe a case for it? A lifetime warranty would be REALLY nice but I don't think those exist.

Thank you so much. I've been doing some research but every time I find a camera I think I like, I see very bad reviews. I've gone through 5 laptops in 3 years (I didn't break them. They just had bad something...). So, I'm very afraid of getting an expensive electronic just to have a door stopper a couple years later.
    Last edited by MissDaisyOhDear; 12-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Best Camera for Action Shots of Dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by MissDaisyOhDear View Post
    Right now the only camera I have is the camera on my Iphone4.
    A good camera for simple snapshots but not meant for difficult shooting situations such as action shots, especially low light action shots.

Issues I have (I'm not surprised because it is a phone, but these are very important to me when buying a camera):
    -Action shots. I mostly take pictures of my dog and foster dogs. I like taking pictures of when they are playing, etc. It is very important to take cute action and non action pictures of foster dogs, as they are what "sell" the dogs to their forever homes.
    -Low Light/Night shots. My dog is a deep red with a purple tint so she blends into the dark, even with the flash on the iphone is on. I often take pictures outside, at night when I bring the foster dog home. I also take a lot of photos in the house and there's very low lighting, at least for my dog. It takes a good amount of light to get good picture of my dog because her fur is so dark. Even in sunlight, if I get in the way of the sun or if she lays in the shade, the picture does not turn out too great. I try to prevent myself from creating a shadow on her, but she's a dog. She's not extremely cooperative and she doesn't have much patience.
    For action and low light shots a DSLR is your best bet.

An example of my dog so you understand just how dark her fur is and the trouble I have with getting pictures where the poor lighting obscures her facial features or don't do justice for the color:
    (example: the attachment layingpretty.jpg ).
    Color fidelity is best with a DSLR as well.

-Flash eyes. I absolutely do not like how every time I take a photo with the flash, her eyes light up like Christmas lights.I am not sure if there is anything I can do or a camera can do to get rid of it.
    The best ways to deal with this are post processing (remove the red areas with a computer) or buying a separate flash that fits on top of a DSLR (a Speedlight). The Speedlight is excellent against red eye because it moves the flash farther away from the camera and it diffuses the light better than the camera's built-in flash. But you may find that the DSLR's built-in flash does well enough versus red-eye that you don't need to take any additional measures.

-Color. Unless I am in the sunlight, the color of my dog's fur is off. It's gorgeous but the iphone camera does not do it justice inside the house or at night.
    Low light color fidelity is best with a DSLR as well.

-I also like to share the photos on Facebook. So if the pictures could upload to Facebook without a cord, that would be cool, but it's not a must.
    This is an easy one - buy an Eye-Fi memory card for your camera (works with virtually all modern digital cameras). An Eye-Fi memory card combines a flash memory card with a wireless transmitter. I have one and it works great.

I'm not sure about the budget, the cheaper the better, but...no more than maybe $400-500? It's going to be a combined Christmas/birthday present from two people for me. It has to last practically forever!!! Waterproof would be nice in case I take it on trips, but not a must. Durable. I tend to drop things a lot. If it's not durable, maybe a case for it? A lifetime warranty would be REALLY nice but I don't think those exist.
    A Canon Rebel T3 and Nikon D3100 are two of the least expensive DSLR's and are in your price range. Both come with a lens, but the Eye-Fi card will cost extra. Both should do fairly well in avoiding red-eye but you can always buy a Speedlight if you feel you need the separate flash. You'll also need to buy a camera bag - a DSLR is too large to fit in a purse.

You'll be amazed at the improvement over your iPhone.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 12-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information