Quantcast Bridge camera for concerts?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Bridge camera for concerts?

I'm looking for a bridge camera that is an upgrade from my point and shoot (sony t200). So far I really like the Sony HX200V and the Canon SX500HS. I would use it for everyday shots, vacations, and would also like to bring it to concerts. I know that security does not allow slr cameras but my sister has a canon sx30is and has had no trouble bringing hers in to venues.

Any opinions on either would be welcome. So far the reviews I've found for the Sony have really magnified the images to find decreased quality and the most I would look at them would be on my computer or an occasional 4x6/8x10.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Bridge camera for concerts?

Since you want to use the camera at concerts, most of which are in low light, you'd be disappointed with the performance of the Canon SX500, which uses a CCD sensor that isn't great in low light. It's best to get a camera with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor, like the Sony HX200v. However, the Sony is not the only long zoom camera with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor. The Panasonic FZ60 is smaller than the Sony HX200v and has a slightly shorter 24x zoom and fewer features, but its low light performance is at least as good. If you're OK with an even smaller camera that does not have manual exposure controls, the Olympus SZ31mr-HS might be good for you as it also has a CMOS sensor and a 24x zoom, but in a small package. Probably the best superzoom camera when it comes to low light performance is the Panasonic FZ200 but its price is very high.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Does Panasonic make good cameras? I've only ever had Sony cameras and my sister has a canon.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee988 View Post
    Does Panasonic make good cameras? I've only ever had Sony cameras and my sister has a canon.
    Panasonic makes lots of different models, some of which are great, Panasonic, like all the other camera manufacturers, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Nikon, Samsung and others, makes different types of cameras for different functions. For example a few years ago I bought a long zoom Panasonic camera with manual controls that meets my needs well when used outdoors, but not so well indoors. So I recently bought a small, pocket-sized Canon that does a great job with low light indoor shots, though its short zoom means it's not the camera you'd want to use in outdoor shooting situations.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I see. I think I'll go with the sony and maybe in a few months I'll upgrade my point and shoot to another one for better low light shots.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Sony HX200v is a great choice. As I said, to get good low light shots you need a CMOS sensor, which is found in the Sony HX200v (as well as the small HX20v, which you may also be interested in). You get even better image quality when the sensor is larger, as is the case with Sony's detachable lens cameras like the Sony NEX series (such as the NEX-F3) or Sony's DSLR's (like the SLT-A37).
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The Sony HX200v is a great choice. As I said, to get good low light shots you need a CMOS sensor, which is found in the Sony HX200v (as well as the small HX20v, which you may also be interested in). You get even better image quality when the sensor is larger, as is the case with Sony's detachable lens cameras like the Sony NEX series (such as the NEX-F3) or Sony's DSLR's (like the SLT-A37).
    I like the NEX series but most concert venues don't allow ones with detachable lenses, and I just like the look of the hx200v compared to the 20 or 30v. Thanks for all your input

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Then the models that mentioned in the post are good for taking photos at night, is it?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by hemon200 View Post
    Then the models that mentioned in the post are good for taking photos at night, is it?
    Generally speaking, yes. It depends how much light is available. If it's too dark the only way you'll be able to take a picture you can see is with a flash.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information