Quantcast Multipurpouse camera

+ Reply to Thread

Default Multipurpouse camera

Budget

- What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? 400 $ (approx. 300 €)

Size

- What size camera are you looking for? pocket or a little bigger pocket

Features

- How many megapixels will suffice for you? the more the better, at least 12

- What optical zoom will you need? Normal, Zoom to Ultrazoom

- How important is “image quality” to you? 9

- Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? not really, just to experiment

General Usage

- What will you generally use the camera for? indoor (party's, gathering's, etc.) and outdoor (on skiing, at sea, in mountains) shots; shots of persons, moving animals, landscape, sky and also a night sky, sometimes for panorama shots, making movies,...

- Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? sometimes

- Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? sometimes, about 30% of time

- Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? sometimes

Miscellaneous

- Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

- Are there particular models you already have in mind? No

- Do you need any of the following special features? Image Stabilization, Hotshoe, taking videos, long lasting battery, panorama shots. I also need fast preparedness of the camera for the next picture - time between taking one picture after another must be short.
    It is desired that the camera has the option of the multiple exposure of one picture.
    Wide Angle, Waterproof, taking pictures in intervals and quick burst shots are not a priority.

I'm looking forward of the answers

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Multipurpouse camera

There are several excellent pocket-sized cameras with long zoom lenses that take excellent pictures including easy panoramas and HDR (combining several photos to enhance dynamic range) including the 20x Sony HX20v, Fuji F770EXR and F800EXR and the 18x Olympus SZ31mr and Nikon S9300. The Sony HX20v is probably the best reviewed of the group. However, none of them have a flash hotshoe - you're limited to the built-in flash.

If you need a small camera with a flash hotshoe you'll have to compromise on the available zoom. Also these cameras tend to be quite expensive. Some examples of these (which also include easy panorama and HDR modes) are the Fuji x10 and the Olympus XZ-2, both of which have 4x optical zoom.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thanks for the answer. I misunderstood the term hotshoe, I thought it means a flash, that's why I've put it into my criteria. Now I see it's a "shoe" where you put extra flash on.

I've checked the recommended cameras and I'm leaning towards the Sony HX20v, but I don't know if it is capable to make pictures like these: stars, moon, star trails

What would you recommend for a budget up to 600$ and up to 800$ for the above, in the first post, mentioned criteria?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

For what you want to do you'll need a camera that can hold open the shutter for several hours while the camera is mounted on a tripod. This requires a camera that can be used with a remote control (an optional purchase). While there are some non-DSLR's that can be used with a remote the Sony HX20v is not one of them. I'd go with a DSLR, several of which are well within your price range. For Canon look at the Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D), the T3i (EOS 600D) or the T4i (EOS 650D). For Nikon the D3100, D3200 or D5100. For Sony the SLT-A37 or SLT-A57. All will be able to take the long exposure photos you want. As far as quality is concerned, all are very good, though the more expensive cameras will give you better build quality and only the Sony's have the "sweep panorama" feature.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

That multi image eclipse shot will need a telephoto (2 lens kit) and some work with a photo editor like Adobe's Elements. Do not expect the camera to do it all for you, at least for trick pictures like that.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks for the answers.

Huh, those DSLR's are too big to be put in the pocket or a little bigger pocket while skiing, hiking,... so I'll have to go without the function of having open the shutter for several hours.

Would you still recommend the Sony HX20v for the criteria in the first post if the budget were 600$ and 800$?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by buldog View Post
    Thanks for the answers.

Huh, those DSLR's are too big to be put in the pocket or a little bigger pocket while skiing, hiking,... so I'll have to go without the function of having open the shutter for several hours.

Would you still recommend the Sony HX20v for the criteria in the first post if the budget were 600$ and 800$?
    Yes, but you don't have to give up on the long shutter feature. There are a few smaller cameras that can be operated with a remote that keeps the shutter open for a long period of time. The Olympus E-PL2 and E-PL3 are very high quality smaller cameras with large sensors and excellent image quality and remote capability..
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

thanks

I've checked both, Olympus e-pl2 and e-pl3. They're really smaller, but with lenses on they get bigger. The smaller lenses are almost the same price as camera. So I think I'll go for the Sony HX-20v.

Which one would you choose?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

For the type of camera it is - small, long zoom, point and shoot - the Sony HX20v is probably the best one available.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information