Quantcast Looking for APS-C camera that supports EFSC or "Canon silent mode"

+ Reply to Thread

Question Looking for APS-C camera that supports EFSC or "Canon silent mode"

Hi all,

I am looking for a new camera and I have some very specific demands, so I'd like to have some advice. I will be mounting a microscope objective directly onto the camera lens, using a special adapter. You can see this here: http://janrik.net/MiscSubj/2011/FAQ-...onCanon200.jpg.

The problem is that with the magnifications I use, even the vibrations from the shutter (I do not mean the mirror!) can be seen on the photo. Canon has a brilliant solution for this, it is called "silent mode" and you can see it here: Canon EOS 5D Mark III : shutter mecanism and quiet mode - YouTube. The problem is however, that I *need* a camera with an APS-C sensor. Full frame sensor's are significantly more difficult to combine with microscope objectives. My first idea was to take a look at the Canon 650D, but it does not support this silent mode

The 5D2, 5D3 and 6D do support silent mode, but are full frame. The 1Ds Mark IV is much too expensive for me. However, Sony NEX camera's do support this silent mode (electronic first shutter curtain), but I compared some sample photos of the Sony NEX-7 with the 650D and I find that even at 100 ISO, the NEX-7 has *a lot* of noise.

Sony NEX-7: http://img.photographyblog.com/revie...y_nex_7_01.jpg
    Canon 650D: http://img.photographyblog.com/revie...os_650d_01.jpg

What other camera's are on the market that meet these criteria?

Budget: up to about $1000 (not an absolut maximum)
    Image quality: very important
    Noise: high ISO noise is not so important, but it shoud be better at 100 ISO than the noise of the Sony NEX-7 at 100 ISO
    Size: I don't care
    Brand: preferably Sony or Canon, because I have a lot of lensens for these camera's

If you have any ideas / suggestions / comments, I am happy to hear them!
    Thanks, Niels

PS The Canon EOS 60D is not an option. Although, it does support silent mode, people report that it still shows significant visible vibration when silent mode is switched on. The cause of this vibration is unknown, but you can clearly see it in the photos.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for APS-C camera that supports EFSC or "Canon silent mode"

The Canon 7D, an APS-C camera, also has the "silent mode" option when shooting in live view. I have an acquaintance who's had one for a couple of years and he couldn't be happier with it.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The Canon 7D, an APS-C camera, also has the "silent mode" option when shooting in live view. I have an acquaintance who's had one for a couple of years and he couldn't be happier with it.
    Tests on the internet show that the 7D has a significant amount of noise, especially for its price. Here in the Netherlands it costs about $1600, a lot more than I can afford...

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Have you considered a Sony SLT-A37 or A57? They don't have mirrors so sound is not an issue. They have APS-C sensors and their image quality is excellent, but probably similar to the NEX-7. If that's too noisy for you there may not be a camera that meets all of your requirements.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Why are the full frame sensors more difficult?

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information