Quantcast New Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ-150

+ Reply to Thread

Default New Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ-150

Will be buying a new point and shoot soon, probably within the next month to two months. I have been researching and researching for about a month for my point and shoot, have looked at the Nikon 501, Canon SX40, and am down to either the Canon SX50 or the Panasonic FZ-150. I know that the quality of pictures and video's will not be as good as the digital SLR's but I do believe unless I am or anyone is a professional photographer that one of these cameras hopefully will take care of my needs until I am able to afford a good DSLR one day, I have even looked at the Panasonic FZ200 but at present time it is about 150.00 more than we can afford.
    I am looking for a point and shoot that has excellent video quality, good low light camera, good to excellent macro ability, and all around excellent photo quality. The 1200 zoom doesn't seem to be an issue, I love taking nature and wildlife photo's of animals, scenic photo's such as old barns / buildings and scenic wildlife. One of the main reasons to get one at present time is that my daughters are 9 and 10 and 13 (not as of this moment, they will be probably before I get the camera), and I haven't had the ability to take some good video and pictures for a few years since my other digital camera crapped out on me. Will take it to camping vacations, family fun times, vacations, Wichita Mountains trips in Lawton Oklahoma and just all around family fun times.
    I can't see how I would be disappointed in either camera, however I just want the best for the buck and since both cameras are pretty much the same price...want the best one. If anyone has any experience with these please give me your feedback, Thanks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: New Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ-150

Both cameras are excellent and have similar features - very good image quality, RAW ability, flash hotshoe, excellent videos. But I would lean towards the FZ150.

I reviewed the Panasonic FZ150 for this website and I was very pleased with it. My only problem was that I felt the auto white balance was a bit off.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Review

The new Canon SX50 has a much longer zoom lens than the FZ150 but getting a sharp, non-blurred image at the long end of the zoom will be a problem unless the lens is mounted on a tripod. Also, image quality suffers when a very long zoom is used. Further, keep in mind that the aperture of the SX50 is narrower than the FZ150, which will put it at a relative disadvantage when taking low light shots.

One other thing to consider. The Panasonic FZ60 is similar to the FZ150, though it lacks a hot-shoe and RAW shooting ability. But it's also much less expensive (under $300) and is a great buy at that price.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I am now considering the Panasonic FZ200 instead, however Best Buy has the Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm lens kit for 479.00....the Nikon being a DSLR has a larger sensor but I've read that with the photo quality of the FZ200 unless you are blowing up huge pictures you shouldn't be able to see much change in quality. Also I like having up to a 600mm lens on a camera with everything at my finger tips. What do you all think?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

If you want a one-lens solution the FZ200 is very appealing, but it's way overpriced at well over $500, considering that the similar FZ60 is under $300, the Nikon P510 is under $350 and the Sony HX200v and Panasonic FZ150 are just over $400.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information