Quantcast Pentax vs Canon vs Nikon

+ Reply to Thread

Default Pentax vs Canon vs Nikon

DSLR's - Pentax clarity and weather seals are hard to beat, have been using a K-7 with great results but patchy reliability. Off on an African Safari and thinking of changing, and would appreciate some input . Cheers, Nybor.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Pentax vs Canon vs Nikon

A JD Power survey of consumer satisfaction of DSLR's released in June 2012 found Pentax owners to be the most satisfied, reporting particularly high scores for camera reliability. Nikon and Canon were a close 2 and 3.

If you should decide to purchase another brand of DSLR, the Nikon and Canon most similar to your K-7 are the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 60D. But keep in mind that you won't be able to use your Pentax lenses without an adapter.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

With Canon and Nikon the lens also has to be weather sealed, or the body seal won't mean a lot. But an after market rain cover can be used with any camera brand.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks My Gear, I agree with the findings about Pentax when mine works I am very satisfied with it. It has been in some very rugged situations with our travels,and the weather seals have been amazing. This made me perserve with it, even though I have had problems with it - very dark photos, poor contact with lens, inability to use Tv Av modesetc. The Pentax service here in Australia has been unequaled, also took out a 4 yr guarantee when I purchased it in 2010, which has saved me a bucket in repairs. In the end they replaced the mother board so hopefully it will see me through this time round.
    I was looking at the Canon 60D, having had a Canon Rebel (2004) which was a marvellous start up camera for a DSLR learner like me, but I am unsure if the EOS lenses I still have would fit without an adapter either?
    Did a photography course and the instructor swears by Nikon.....but reluctant to start a whole new range of camera equipment.
    If I stay with Pentax what body would you suggest?

Good Point Kelly as the weather seals on the K7 have been superb. It has seen some rugged action. How do you find your canon 50D? I was thinking of the 60D.

Love my 50D, but will admit that I do baby it. I don't shoot in the rain, or anything like that. The main advantage of the 60D is that it adds video, a feature that the 50D lacks. I bought the 50D refurbished from the Canon franchise here in the USA. It has been flawless, no issues of any kind. The nice aspects of the 50D are lens selection, effective Evaluative (matrix) metering, flexible TTL flash, pleasant default colors (easy to control the saturation), quick phase detect AF, and the RAW editor on the disk that is included is pretty useful. Of course all of that would also apply to the 60D. Not so nice is the lame Auto ISO (really works well only in Tv mode), access to the control screens is more obtuse than necessary, and the live view feature is beyond lame (60D may be better there). Plus the "kit" 28-135 is a bit of a tank. Your old EOS lenses will be fine with either the 50D or 60D. Those lenses will also work Ok with the newest 650D, however a new version of the EOS lenses will be coming out to use the advanced video AF on the 650D.

As for Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax, check the specific lenses that are of interest to you. Each line of lenses has its sweet spots, at the consumer price level you cannot expect stellar lenses across the board. For any brand.

Kelly
    Last edited by KCook; 02-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Thread Information