Quantcast Canon 6D or Mark ii

+ Reply to Thread

Default Canon 6D or Mark ii

I currently shoot with a Canon 60D but am ready to upgrade to a full-frame DSLR. I will be keeping my 60D as a backup.

I am seeing lots of mixed messages about the Canon 6D and the 5D Mark ii. For portrait photography what are your thoughts? The difference in price would not be an issue.
    My Gear: Canon 6D, Sony DSC-H10, Panasonic Lumix FZ35

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Canon 6D or Mark ii

I assume you're referring to the new 6D and the 5D Mark III, as the the 5D Mark II was released in 2008 whereas both the 6D and 5D Mark III were released in 2012.

This website reviewed the 5D Mark III in June 2012 and, as you can see, the verdict was extremely positive. Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review: Going Pro. This website has not reviewed the 6D yet, but it appears to be very similar to the 5D Mark III except in a few ways. The 6D is considerably smaller and lighter in weight. The 6D has only 11 auto focus points while the 5D Mark III has 61, so the 6D's auto focus will probably not be as quick or accurate. The 5D Mark III has a larger LCD screen (3.2 inch diagonal vs. 3 inch), a better viewfinder, a faster maximum shutter speed and faster continuous shooting. The 6D has some features absent in the 5D Mark III - a has built-in wireless, a built-in GPS and a stereo mic. Then there's the issue of price - the 6D is over $1,000 cheaper than the 5D Mark III. To most people the large price differential would be a significant reason to lean towards the 6D.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Smile Re: Canon 6D or Mark ii

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    I assume you're referring to the new 6D and the 5D Mark III, as the the 5D Mark II was released in 2008 whereas both the 6D and 5D Mark III were released in 2012.
    Nope. I really did mean the 5D Mark ii. Even though it is an older release there are still new bodies available and it is closer in price to the new 6D. The Mark iii is out of my price range for now.
    My Gear: Canon 6D, Sony DSC-H10, Panasonic Lumix FZ35

Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Canon 6D or Mark ii

Between the 6D and 5D Mk III, I think the 6D's the better camera. It has the built-in wireless and GPS, plus 2 more auto focus points (11 vs 9), and faster continuous shooting speed.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information