Quantcast What camera should I buy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What camera should I buy?

Hi, I was wondering if you could help advise me on a few cameras that might be what I need or am looking for. I use my camera to take pictures on social outings, vacations, holidays, parties, special events, ect. I take a lot of pictures both indoor and outdoor, day and night. I want something that takes high quality photos because I print them and often put them in frames in my house or photo albums. That is probably the most important aspect to me is the picture quality when printed and viewed. I never took my old camera off of AUTO mode, so I don't know how to do anything fancy with the adjustments or settings. My camera got stolen, and it was old and I'm sure out of date but it took great pictures, it was an Olympus FE-280 which had 8 megapixel AF 3X optical zoom 6.3-18.9mm 1:3.1-5.9 whatever all that means lol. I don't necessarilIy want something similar or comparable to this camera, I was just giving you an idea of what I have had in the past ( I bought it in 2008 or before). I don't have a set price range, just want something worth the money I spend. I take good care of my cameras so they last me a long time. I want something durable and dependable. A good battery life would be great but isn't the most important. I am a college student who take a ton of pictures with family and friends. I carry my camera everywhere I go in case there is a picture worthy moment. I would like to get a camera that has proven itself, has great reviews and ratings. I read a list of reccommendations on this site but it was out of date from like 2007 I think. My old camera also took videos but I only used this feature maybe three times, so I'm not looking for anything that has to have video functions although I am not opposed either. I know what I use my camera for and all of that but I don't have the slightest idea of where to start looking or what to look for. There are so many brands, camera series and versions, ect available today. So any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything you would like to ask that would help reccommend cameras please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks, Amber

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: What camera should I buy?

Since your last camera was an Olympus FE-280, I assume you want something similar - small and lightweight and relatively inexpensive. Here are a few under $150:
    Canon - Elph 110 HS
    Nikon - S6300
    Sony - WX100
    Panasonic - SZ7
    Olympus - VR340
    Fuji - JZ200
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

No I don't necessarily want something similar. I dont want something inexpensive, I want to put money into a good camera that I will use for a long time. I want something small and lightweight but that takes high quality photos since I print them. I want a point and shoot type since I dont know how to do anything special with the settings and adjustments, I will use the auto mode. I take a lot of pictures both indoor and outdoor, day and night. I know I dont want a cheap camera though. Now what are your suggestions?
    Thanks, Amber

Super Moderator/Reviewer

There's a class of cameras that, while still compact, are considerably larger than your Olympus. They have lots of features, take nice looking photos and HD movies and have a long zoom lens. They range in price from under $200 to over $300. I like the Olympus SZ-14,, Canon SX260 HS, Panasonic ZS20, Nikon S9300 and the Sony HX20v. These are all 2012 models. 2013 models of these cameras may be available for purchase but they will be more expensive.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Awesome, I'll check those out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok I have narrowed my search for a camera down to the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20v, the Canon Powershot SX260 HS, and the Canon Powershot S110. So I was hoping you could help me narrow it down from here. Which is the best camera out of the 3? Image quality is most important to me. I guess I'm asking which one would you buy and why? Price is not an issue, I just want a really good point and shoot camera.
    Thanks in advance.
    Amber

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Canon S110 (and S100) has the best image quality because its sensor is larger. But they all take good looking pictures and the HX20v and SX260HS have the advantage of a much longer lens - 20x zoom compared to 5x for the S110 and S100.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Ok that helps a lot. Thanks. I do know the S95 had lots of problems with the pop up flash breaking. Do you think that was still an issue with the entire S series or the S110? Also I do believe that one has a touch screen. I have never had or used a camera with a touchscreen so I'm not too sure what to think about them. Any insight on that? Also, do all the cameras mentioned have good auto modes or offer scene modes? Any one auto modes better than the others? Does one perform better than the others in low light and indoor situations or are any worse in this department? Or insight on battery life as well, so I know if I will need an extra battery to keep on hand? Do you know if red eye is an issue on any of the cameras? Does the S110 take noticeably better photos or will they all take similar photos in the 4X6 - 5X7 prints?(Mostly 4X6s)? That should be all of my questions to help me make my decision lol....
    Thanks, Amber

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by amberg87 View Post
    Ok that helps a lot. Thanks. I do know the S95 had lots of problems with the pop up flash breaking. Do you think that was still an issue with the entire S series or the S110?
    Sorry, I don't have any information on this.
    Also I do believe that one has a touch screen. I have never had or used a camera with a touchscreen so I'm not too sure what to think about them. Any insight on that?
    The S110 does have a touchscreen. If you have a smartphone you should be familiar with touchscreens. They aren't a problem once you get used to them. A lot of users find the Sony menu system hard to negotiate.
    Also, do all the cameras mentioned have good auto modes or offer scene modes? Any one auto modes better than the others?
    Yes they all have good auto modes and scene modes which the camera will automatically select when in auto mode.
    Does one perform better than the others in low light and indoor situations or are any worse in this department?
    The Canon S100 or S110 are superior in low light to the others due to their large sensor, followed by the Canon SX260 and then the Sony HX20v, though the Sony still does a pretty nice job.
    Or insight on battery life as well, so I know if I will need an extra battery to keep on hand?
    The Sony HX20v has the longest battery life. Here are the battery life ratings - Canon S110 - 200 shots Canon SX260HS - 230 shots Sony HX20v - 320 shots
    Do you know if red eye is an issue on any of the cameras?
    From what I can tell red-eye is a minor issue with the S110, not a problem with the SX260, but is a significant problem with the HX20v.
    Does the S110 take noticeably better photos or will they all take similar photos in the 4X6 - 5X7 prints?(Mostly 4X6s)?
    The S110 takes better quality photos, though the SX260 and HX20v take nice looking photos as well. The main advantages of the s110 are in low light and high contrast shots.
    That should be all of my questions to help me make my decision lol....
    Thanks, Amber
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Red eye is very easy to fix with a photo editor, if you don't mind using a photo editor once in a while.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information