Quantcast Comparing two longer zoom point and shoots and need advice

+ Reply to Thread

Default Comparing two longer zoom point and shoots and need advice

I need to purchase a point and shoot for some travel and general use. I looked at Canon SX260HS for $229 and then found a good deal on a Samsung WB 150 for $124. Both have good reviews and a long zoom. Of course the cheaper price sounds good but wanted to get some advice on which to buy.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Comparing two longer zoom point and shoots and need advice

They are both good and each has some advantages, though all in all the Canon is SX260 HS is a better camera. The Canon has better low light image quality, a lens with less distortion, slightly more optical zoom, much faster continuous shooting ability, takes higher resolution movies, and has a built-in GPS for geo-tagging your photos. The Samsung WB-150 has a built-in WiFi for transmitting your images through a WiFi network or through your smartphone's 3G or 4G connection and has an easy panorama creator. As far as image quality is concerned Samsung's images are more saturated and less realistic. For the money the Samsung is a great buy but the Canon gives you more.

Here are some sample images:

Canon SX260HS
    canon sx260 - Flickr: Search

Samsung WB150
    samsung wb150 - Flickr: Search
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    They are both good and each has some advantages, though all in all the Canon is SX260 HS is a better camera. The Canon has better low light image quality, a lens with less distortion, slightly more optical zoom, much faster continuous shooting ability, takes higher resolution movies, and has a built-in GPS for geo-tagging your photos. The Samsung WB-150 has a built-in WiFi for transmitting your images through a WiFi network or through your smartphone's 3G or 4G connection and has an easy panorama creator. As far as image quality is concerned Samsung's images are more saturated and less realistic. For the money the Samsung is a great buy but the Canon gives you more.

Here are some sample images:

Canon SX260HS
    canon sx260 - Flickr: Search

Samsung WB150
    samsung wb150 - Flickr: Search

Just another couple questions my last camera Nikon quit after taking some shots at the beach. Would one of the above cameras you discussed be better than the other for beach shots? Also is the Samsung fairly easy to use?

Well I am new at this so hope I haven't repeated myself. Just a couple more questions. My last camera a Nikon quit after taking a few shots on a beach in Florida. Of the two cameras I mentioned would either be able to safely take beach shots? Also is the Samsung camera fairly easy to use?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Well I am new at this so hope I haven't repeated myself. Just a couple more questions. My last camera a Nikon quit after taking a few shots on a beach in Florida. Of the two cameras I mentioned would either be able to safely take beach shots? Also is the Samsung camera fairly easy to use?
    Both take nice looking beach shots though keep in mind that Samsung's will be more saturated - some people like that and some don't.

Both cameras are extremely easy to use. Just put them on smart auto and all the settings will be chosen by the camera - all you have to do is use the zoom and snap the shutter button. The Samsung's WiFi will enable you to transfer your photos to your computer using your WiFi network (without attaching any wires), but the Canon requires a USB cord (though you can buy a special memory card called "Eye-Fi" which will give you WiFi capability).
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information