Quantcast Guys need suggestions for a Point and shoot !

+ Reply to Thread

Default Guys need suggestions for a Point and shoot !

Hello guys ,

I'm new here so pardon me for any mistakes.Guys I want to buy a camera.

Budget
    Range of Rs. 12000/- to 14000/- not more than that.Pardon me if I have to put in dollars or something.I'm from India so I have used rupees.

Size

I generally keep traveling, so I would like a good camera beyond just for parties and picnic. A good portable camera for frequent travelers.So, size does matter to me.

Features

Megapixel if possible 16MP or more.I'm fine with 14MP also if quality is good.
    Image quality should be good.I would rate it around 8 out of 10.
    A higher optical zoom. around 10x or more.
    Must have manual modes.

General Usage

As I said , I generally keep traveling, so I would like a good camera beyond just for parties and picnic.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Most probably I won't.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes I will.

Miscellaneous

I shortlisted Sony WX 200 (18.2 MP, CMOS Sensor) as the specifications were really good. Could you guys let me know some other point and shoot cameras which would be able to match the Sony specs in the same proce range.

Brand Sony , Nikon , Canon only.

Image Stabilization is a Must.
    For a good portable camera, which one would you guys suggest?

Thanks.Please reply as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Dextor; 03-15-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Guys need suggestions for a Point and shoot !

Look for cameras with a CMOS sensor, which will give you more speed and better low light ability. One is the Sony WX200, which has a 10x optical zoom. Other very good cameras within your price range are the Olympus SH-25MR (12.5x optical zoom), Canon Ixus 500 HS (12x optical zoom), Nikon Coolpix S6400 (12x optical zoom), Canon SX240 HS (20x optical zoom) and Panasonic TZ20 (16x optical zoom). These last two cameras are larger and heavier than the others (but still pocket-sized) and have longer zoom lenses. Unless size is a major issue I'd go with the Canon SX240 HS or the Panasonic TZ20.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Look for cameras with a CMOS sensor, which will give you more speed and better low light ability. One is the Sony WX200, which has a 10x optical zoom. Other very good cameras within your price range are the Olympus SH-25MR (12.5x optical zoom), Canon Ixus 500 HS (12x optical zoom), Nikon Coolpix S6400 (12x optical zoom), Canon SX240 HS (20x optical zoom) and Panasonic TZ20 (16x optical zoom). These last two cameras are larger and heavier than the others (but still pocket-sized) and have longer zoom lenses. Unless size is a major issue I'd go with the Canon SX240 HS or the Panasonic TZ20.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion.Can you tell me how is Canon SX260 as compared to HX200 ? one of my friend told me to go for SX260 as it is the best P & S in his opinion.Can you compare these both please ?
    Actually I'm very confused which one should I go for.Is WX200 better than WX150 ?? as I have seen some very good reviews for WX150.Please help me out with this.Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Dextor View Post
    Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion.Can you tell me how is Canon SX260 as compared to HX200 ? one of my friend told me to go for SX260 as it is the best P & S in his opinion.Can you compare these both please ?
    Actually I'm very confused which one should I go for.Is WX200 better than WX150 ?? as I have seen some very good reviews for WX150.Please help me out with this.Thanks in advance.
    The Canon SX260HS is the same as the SX240HS but it also has a built-in GPS. If you don't need the GPS you may be able to save some money with the SX240HS.
    The Sony WX200 and WX150 are the same camera except the WX200 has built-in WiFi.

The Canon SX260/240 and Sony WX200/150 are two different classes of cameras. The Canons are much larger and heavier - the Sony's are ultra-compact. The Canons have much longer optical zoom lenses and manual exposure controls - the Sony WX200/150 don't have either.

The Canon Ixus 500 is the same class of camera as the Sony WX200/150.

As far as image quality goes, the Canons and Sonys are both good. Here are some sample photos.

Canon SX260
    Flickr

Sony WX150
    Flickr
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information