Quantcast Looking for something similar to a Canon Powershot A630

+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for something similar to a Canon Powershot A630

Hey all, new to this forum, and need some advice.

I bought a Canon Powershot A630 probably 8 or so years ago, and I'm in love with it still to this day. I like the features, the weight, the size, as well as the shape of the camera. I'm looking for a camera as close as I can to this one, just with some of the more modern updates they've made to digital cameras in the past few years.

Which camera should I buy?

Budget
    Not really an issue, I have a couple of months to save, but I'm not looking to spend over 300 USD, as this is still a point-and-shoot. (I think I initially spent roughly 300 or so on the camera when it was released.)

Size
    As stated above, I love the size and shape of the Canon A630. I like the grip on the side (even though it's mainly only there to house the 4 AA batteries that power it.), the fact that it's on the heavier side for a point and shoot, and the fact that it has a little bulk to it.

Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Looking for atleast 12 MP this time around, as the camera I have is 8 MP, and my smart phone can take the same MP photos as my camera now LOL.

What optical zoom will you need?
    Zoom isn't really a huge deal to me, but I like the idea of having a decent zoom on the camera. I never really used it much, but I think if I had a decent optical zoom, as opposed to digital, I'd find myself making use of it.

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    I'd say an 8 or so. I'm not an expert photographer or anything, but when I have to edit photos, I'd rather not have to edit them too heavily. I've taken some awesome photos with that camera, so more of less something comparable.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    These are features I don't use often, but would like to have present in my next camera.

General Usage
    What will you generally use the camera for?
    Mainly scenery, macro shots, nature and architecture.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Most likely, I've done this in the past. Nothing huge, just big enough for wall decor in my apartment.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Not really.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    If the features were present, possibly. Not a necessity.

Miscellaneous
    Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Obviously I like Canon cameras. I've owned one, and my parents have a DSLR model that I really like as well. I'm not partial to Canon, I just enjoy a couple of the fun features that I haven't really seen on other brands, like color swap, and color accent.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I was looking at some of the newer powershot models, such as the SX260, which I like the idea and features of. Also the Sony Cybershot series. I'm just so partial to the weight, size, and shape of the one that I've got, that I'm afraid I'll end up fumbling anything smaller.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    The idea of IS is awesome, and accounts for most of the reason I'm looking for something new. I also love the added versatility and screen protection of the rotating LCD on the A630, but I am willing to part with it. The ability to shoot HD video would also be nice, but as I'm not planning to use it for video often, it's not a necessity.

Thanks Guys

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for something similar to a Canon Powershot A630

The Canon SX260 HS, the Sony HX20v and the Panasonic ZS20 are very similar cameras and should meet your needs.
    I recently compared these three cameras in a response to a question in this section of the forum. Here's what I said:

The Canon SX260, Panasonic ZS20 and Sony HX20v are all excellent, but have different strengths and weaknesses
    Canon - cheapest, best low light ability but worst battery life of the three, no auto panorama shots.
    Sony - best battery life of the three, highest resolution LCD screen, but worst interface, most expensive, largest and heaviest of the three, can't take high speed (slow motion) movies
    Panasonic - Touchscreen, smallest and lightest in weight.

If you intend to do most of your shooting in low light, the Canon would be the best (the others do well too, but not as well as the Canon).
    If you like to take wide angle panorama shots, either the Sony or Panasonic would be best.
    If you want a touchscreen, the Panasonic would be the best.
    If you like high speed (slow motion) movies, the Canon or Panasonic would be the ones to pick.

Something to consider is that the Sony and Panasonic have more of a right hand grip than the Canon, which you might prefer considering your experience with the A630.
    Here are images of the three cameras:
    Canon SX260HS
    sx260.jpg
    Sony HX20v
    hx20v.jpg
    Panasonic ZS20
    zs20.jpg
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Looking for something similar to a Canon Powershot A630