Quantcast Lumix G5 - Lenses Suggestion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lumix G5 - Lenses Suggestion

Hey Guys, Im new here also new in the photography
    I decided to buy Lumix G5 the DLSM camera cuz the DLSR are too big for me :/
    Could you help me decide which lenses should i get.
    I am more into Macro, Group portraits,landscapes,Night- Photos
    I read that G5 Series are using the Micro 4/3 Lenses. So at the moment i am thinking of getting the Kit lens 14 42 Standartzoom and M Zuiko f 1,8 | 45 mm for Macro, Portraits and lowlight portraits shooting.
    I did some research about lenses and correct me if im wrong the less "mm" u have the more wider the photo is, and also low focal lenght means more depth of field and better performance in low light

Can u help me which lenses should i get for those kind of photos ? I mean what should i search?
    Really Thanks guys!!!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Lumix G5 - Lenses Suggestion

The G5 is a very good choice and the standard kit lens is fine for most purposes that don't involve long range shooting.
    Likewise the Zuiko f/1.8 45mm is a good choice for low light, macro and portrait shooting. Keep in mind that the 45mm Zuiko lens is the equivalent of a 90mm lens for a 35mm camera due to the relative size of your camera's sensor compared to the size of a frame of 35mm film (you multiply the length of the lens by a factor of 2, which is the "crop factor" of a 4/3 camera). This means that you won't be able to take wide angle photos with the 45mm lens.

I did some research about lenses and correct me if im wrong the less "mm" u have the more wider the photo is, and also low focal lenght means more depth of field and better performance in low light
    Not quite. A lower mm does mean you can get a wider angle of view but, considering the crop factor of 2 for 4/3 cameras you'll need a wide angle of 14mm or lower to get a true wide angle of view. As far as depth of field goes, if you have a long lens and a smaller aperture (larger numbers) you'll get a deep depth of field (sharper background), if you have a short lens and wider aperture (smaller numbers) you'll get a shallow depth of field (sharp foreground, blurry background). To maximize the low light ability of the lens you'll need as wide an aperture as possible - the f/1.8 of the Zuiko is very good for that purpose.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 03-30-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Really Thanks! So i found another good Lens Lumix G F1,7/ 20 mm , which is better but a bit expensiver..
    I am ameteur and at the moment i dont wanna give so much money and i would like to sum it up in one Lens.
    So should I take the kit lens Lumix G Vario 14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 Asph for my kind of photos or is it better to take a body and buy Zuiko Digital ED Objektiv 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ

The Zuiko is by Olympus, so it will lack stabilization. This is the case for all Zuiko lenses because Olympus puts their stabilization in the camera body instead of the lens (I happen to own an Olympus Micro4/3 camera). For the Panny G5 my suggestion would be to stick with the standard Panasonic kit lens. Add other lenses later, after you have some experience shooting with the G5.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks again!.
    At the moment i bought a old one 14 45mm Lumix g Lens, (the new 14 42 is with plastic mount and laggy zoom i read) Now the budget went a bit high and im thinking of getting the G3 instead of G5 cuz it got huge price difference. Does anybody knows will it be there a huge difference in image quality? I know that G5 have better ergonomics and EVF but are they worthy.
    If i go with G3 i can afford a Prime lens, which i cant buy if i got with G5..

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Are you aware that you can buy a new G5 with the 14 x 42mm lens for $399 at Amazon.com? At that price it doesn't pay to try to find a G3.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Yes, But i live in Germany , and here the G5 Kit is 580 euros and G3 and G3 is 430 :/

My Olympus lacks an EVF, and I do miss that feature. Not sure I would give it up for one more lens. After all, you can always add the prime lens sometime down the road. Of course the other plan would be to get the G3 now and upgrade the body sometime down the road.

Kelly

Kelly, what Olympus do u own? I see that Pl-5 and PM-2 are really good even with better sensors from the G5 i think.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The G3 is very similar. They look alike, though the G5 has a larger handgrip and is heavier.
    The G3 has 2 fewer megapixels, a lower resolution LCD (but still very sharp), slower continuous shooting speeds and a slower autofocus (but reasonably quick).
    So the bottom line is the G5 is a better camera but not that much better.

For $150 Euros less, the G3 is a good buy.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information