Quantcast DSLR for video/film

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DSLR for video/film

Hi there. I am an amateur film-maker, just starting to study film at university. I have always relied on my photography friends who had DSLR's to shoot my own stuff (and liked the result - many people recommend DSLR's as a low level film camera), but it's getting a bit tedious for them (and myself) to constantly borrow their gear. I am really a complete amateur when it comes to camera's, so forgive my noobiness. A person with a mutual friend is willing to sell me her 35-80mm lens rather cheaply (as she is dropping photography, and doesn't really use this lens), if I do buy a camera. I know this kind of lens isn't exactly ideal for film/video, but it will suffice in the meantime.

I am aware that this isn't going to be an ideal film camera, but it's a starting point. I am looking for something that will be relatively easy to use (I am willing and able to learn, of course), without me finding too many limitations for a decent length of time (basically for the camera to be better than me).
    Budget

Given that I can get a starting lens relatively cheaply, I only need a body (currently), and I am willing to spend approx $1000NZD ($850USD). I can push the budget up if justifiable, but obviously I am more than happy to spend less than that.

Size

I am not overly concerned by size. If I can get something more convenient without losing performance, great. But it won't be a deal breaker.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    I don't really know enough to answer this question.
    What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Again, I don't really know enough to answer this question.
    How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    at least 8/10
    Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Yes. As I said, I understand very little, but like to have control, and am keen to learn.
    General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
    Film projects, potentially small amounts of photography.
    Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Unlikely
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Not photo, but video.
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Potentially (for both video and photo).

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I am used to Cannon, and like their cameras, but that's because they're the only camera's I have experience with. I am open to all options currently.
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Not really. Again, I have used a couple of models of the Canon EOS range, and liked them, but yeah, open to options
    (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilisation is important (but that's more to do with lenses, yes?), wide angles are nice. Weatherproofing would be relatively useful, but not necessary.

Default Re: DSLR for video/film

That 35-80 will fit only one camera brand. So that will dictate the brand.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

It's a canon lens, but she has a Nikon Camera, and is willing to throw in her lens adapter

An adapter for a Nikon body will not work with a Canon body. If this Canon lens is the EF mount, then no adapter will be needed, it will fit directly to any current Canon Rebel or EOS #0 body. An adapter would be required for the new Canon EOS M (mirrorless) model. The weird part is that there was an adapter for the Nikon body. That is not supposed to be possible.

Let us know just which Canon models on the market in your country fit your budget. We can help you sort out those models. Of course most of the new ones will likely be with a "kit", include a standard zoom lens. For a body without lens, expect to have better luck shopping used cameras, instead of new. If you do end up with a camera with the kit lens, then you can forget about the old 35-80.

Kelly

Super Moderator

A person with a mutual friend is willing to sell me her 35-80mm lens rather cheaply (as she is dropping photography, and doesn't really use this lens), if I do buy a camera. I know this kind of lens isn't exactly ideal for film/video, but it will suffice in the meantime.
    Since it's a Canon lens, the lens is probably the Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III, which is an inexpensive lens of fair quality. However, the biggest problem you'll have with it is that it will limit you to a somewhat narrow angle of view as the minimum focal length of 35mm is about twice what you'd like to see for a general purpose lens..

Given that I can get a starting lens relatively cheaply, I only need a body (currently), and I am willing to spend approx $1000NZD ($850USD). I can push the budget up if justifiable, but obviously I am more than happy to spend less than that.
    In looking at some online camera retailers in New Zealand it appears that your options for Canon DSLR's around 1000 NZD are either the EOS 1100D or the more expensive EOS600D or 650D. I would not buy the 1100D as its video ability is inferior to the others. The 600D and 650D are very similar and either will do a very good job for you, though you may have to exceed your budget by 100NZD or so. I recommend you get a package with the Canon 18-55mm lens as it will be only slightly more expensive than the body alone and you'll be able to get the wide angle shots that you can't get with the 35-80mm lens.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Ah ok. Well looking at an australian website, cameracity.com.au (I have bought phones through the phone branch of their business, so I trust them), it's $200AUD (close to dollar for dollar with the USD) cheaper to get the 600D body, as it is to get it with the standard kit. Search results for: 'eos 600' | CameraCity Australia

How significant is the difference in the angle of view? (if there is a way of quantifying that) I am fully aware it's not ideal, but it is entry level and on a budget..

The 600D deals on that site make no sense. The prices shown may be in error. I would call them to confirm the actual prices. Part of the confusion is that there are more than one kit lens available for the 600D. The best value kit lens (in the USA market at least) is the 18-55 IS II.

Kelly

Ah ok, well using a New Zealand price aggregator (pricespy.co.nz), it seems that it's $150-$200(about $130-170usd) more to get the lens kit.. Thoughts?

Also, for my needs, are there any significant differences between, say, the 600D, 650D and the 700D? Other than price..

Super Moderator

How significant is the difference in the angle of view? (if there is a way of quantifying that) I am fully aware it's not ideal, but it is entry level and on a budget..
    I think you'd find the canon 35-80mm to be very limiting. In order to get a decent wide angle shot you'd have to stand quite a distance from your subject. I'd find that annoying. I agree with Kelly - the Canon 18-55mm is worth the extra dollars. If you're really hurting for money get the lens used.

Also, for my needs, are there any significant differences between, say, the 600D, 650D and the 700D? Other than price..
    No. The only real difference is that the 650 and 700 use a touchscreen - the 600 doesn't.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Ok, thank you for the help everybody!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information