Quantcast New Camera For a year abroad

+ Reply to Thread

Default New Camera For a year abroad

I am in the market for a new digital camera. I will be oversees for a year and hope to get some great pictures. I have also recently begun using editing software to make short films, and it is something I hope to continue doing next year.

With that in mind I am looking for a camera that has high quality HD video but can also take great pictures.

The problem is that I am by no means a seasoned photographer. I have little experience, and am anxious to learn. I was looking into entry level DSLRs such as the Canon rebel T3i or 60D. It would allow me to take great pics and vid fairly easily if I desire, and also would let me learn how to use the advance settings over time.

But there were also cameras in the category of prosumer compact, or interchangeable lens compact, that might suite me better. However it seems that many of these cameras are in the same price range as entry level DSLRs and I don't see any reason to buy them if I could get a DSLR that would allow me to grow with the camera as I hone my skills.

Any suggestions
    Thanks

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: New Camera For a year abroad

The prosumer compacts, interchangeable lens compacts and DSLR's are all good cameras but they serve different needs.

Prosumer compacts, such as the Canon S110, Olympus XZ-2, Canon G15 and Nikon P7700, have larger sensors than regular point and shoot cameras and have full manual controls as an option, though they can be used with all auto features turned on. They are as small as many regular point and shoot cameras, especially the Canon S110. Their image quality is very good.

Image quality is even better with the interchangeable lens compacts, such as the Nikon 1 s1, Sony NEX-3N, Olympus PEN E-PL5 and the Panasonic GF5, which have even larger sensors, some as large as the APS-C sensor in a standard DSLR. These cameras are almost as compact as the prosumer compacts except when you use the longer zoom lenses. They also have full manual controls as an option.

The entry level DSLR's like the Canon T3i and the Nikon D3200, have large APS-C sensors for excellent image quality, full manual controls and allow interchangeable lenses. They are quite a bit larger than the other two categories of cameras described above.

A DSLR gives you the most camera for the money. But one question to ask yourself - if you had a camera that was larger than pocket size, would its size deter you from taking it with you? If so perhaps you ought to consider a prosumer compact or an interchangeable lens compact.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

thanks so much for the advice

I don't think size is the biggest issue. The question for me is do they all have relatively equal video quality

Nikon V1, V2, Olympus Micro4/3, Panasonic GH2, GH3, and Sony SLT have the best amateur video. That is video that is largely automatic. Canon DSLR would be my choice for going pro video. But that will not be automatic in any way. This will demand a good tripod, head, and eventually separate sound recording gear. Depends on the path you want to take.
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

What about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100

In my view the RX100 would be an excellent second camera, to complement a DSLR. Use the little RX100 for street photography, hiking, and clubing. This is more or less what I got my Micro4/3 "rangefinder style" camera for. Lots of us end up with more than one camera type.

Kelly
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator/Reviewer

My big problem with the Sony RX100 is the price. It's almost $300 more expensive than such excellent small cameras as the Canon S110 and the Nikon P7700.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

i have a similar problem justifying the purchase of a compact camera that is the same price as a canon t3i which I feel I get more for the money with

Thread Information