Quantcast Recommendations for Point & Shoot

+ Reply to Thread

Default Recommendations for Point & Shoot

Good afternoon. I'm looking to replace my Samsung point & shoot since the lens keeps getting stuck. I already have a Canon Rebel XS but am looking for point n shoot for ease of travel. I've done some research but I don't see any reviews that are conclusive as to being the one camera to buy. Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated. I'm leaning more towards a weather proof/water proof camera since we tend to spend a lot of time at the pool/beach during the summer. In addition, we're going on a cruise and it would be nice to take underwater shots or at least not have to worry about having the camera at the pool or beach. The camera does not need to have an "immediate share" feature. Just decent pictures.

Thank you for your help!

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? $200 - $300 USD

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Compact - can put into coat pocket

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 10 - 14

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Standard optical zoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) High - 9.5

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? nice but not necessary - the point of this camera is to not have to think.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? travel, on the go, vacation pictures, some landscapes, some monuments, people. I love my DSLR but am not comfortable taking it on vacation - don't want to have to worry about it. Plus it's not really suitable to spending time at the pool or beach.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? probably not but the possibility exists.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes for indoor - probably museums

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? probably not - I have the DSLR for that

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Just needs to be compatible with iMac/Apple brand computers.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) I'm thinking weatherproof would be nice (our vacation is taking us to a usually rainy location).

Super Moderator

Default Re: Recommendations for Point & Shoot

You've got some good options in the $200-$300 price range but one doesn't really stand out. There's the Canon D20, Pentax WG3, Nikon AW100, Sony TX20 and the Panasonic TS4 and TS20. Personally I like Canon point and shoots but all of these will do fine. Keep in mind that leaks can happen with any of these waterproof point and shoots. Probably the best waterproof point and shoot is the Olympus TG-1 or TG-2 because it has a lens with a very wide aperture at wide angle, which lets in more light (important for underwater shots). But the Olympus cameras exceed your price range.
    Here are some sample images:
    Olympus TG-1
    tg-1 - Flickr: Search
    Canon d20
    canon d20 - Flickr: Search
    Sony TX20
    sony tx20 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic TS4
    panasonic ts4 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic TS20
    panasonic ts20 - Flickr: Search
    Nikon AW100
    Nikon AW100 - Flickr: Search
    Pentax WG-2 (older model of WG-3)
    pentax wg-2 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Super Moderator

You've got some good options in the $200-$300 price range but one doesn't really stand out. There's the Canon D20, Pentax WG3, Nikon AW100, Sony TX20 and the Panasonic TS4 and TS20. Personally I have had consistently good results with Canon point and shoots but all of these will do fine. Keep in mind that leaks can happen with any of these waterproof point and shoots. Probably the best waterproof point and shoot is the Olympus TG-1 or TG-2 because it has a lens with a very wide aperture at wide angle, which lets in more light (important for underwater shots). But the Olympus cameras exceed your price range.
    Here are some sample images:
    Olympus TG-1
    tg-1 - Flickr: Search
    Canon d20
    canon d20 - Flickr: Search
    Sony TX20
    sony tx20 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic TS4
    panasonic ts4 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic TS20
    panasonic ts20 - Flickr: Search
    Nikon AW100
    Nikon AW100 - Flickr: Search
    Pentax WG-2 (older model of WG-3)
    pentax wg-2 - Flickr: Search
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Ok so I'm not sure where the earlier post went to but it's not showing up. In your opinion then, is it worth spending the extra money to get the Olympus? Basically I want a point & shoot that takes good pictures and one that I don't have to worry about the weather - from rain to being at the beach to snorkeling to hanging poolside. I've read the reviews of the Olympus and the main problem seems to be the video. I can see myself taking video on this but it wouldn't be my main use. Thanks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by heliwoman View Post
    Ok so I'm not sure where the earlier post went to but it's not showing up. In your opinion then, is it worth spending the extra money to get the Olympus? Basically I want a point & shoot that takes good pictures and one that I don't have to worry about the weather - from rain to being at the beach to snorkeling to hanging poolside. I've read the reviews of the Olympus and the main problem seems to be the video. I can see myself taking video on this but it wouldn't be my main use. Thanks
    Good question.
    Unless you intend to do a lot of low light underwater photography, I don't think the very wide aperture of the Olympus TG-1, TG-2 is worth the price premium over competing tough cameras. As I said earlier, I like Canon point and shoots but the Sony TX20, Panasonic TS20 and Pentax WG-2, all of which are good, can be had for about $200, approx. $90 less than the Canon D20 and almost $190 less than the TG-1 or TG-2.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information