Quantcast Abroad in Italy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abroad in Italy

Default Abroad in Italy

To start off, I bought a Nikon Coolpix P300 about a year ago and I am very happy with it. However, I am going abroad to Italy and I would like to be able to take quality pictures of sites and monuments. The Nikon does not have the best zoom. I will need a camera with a much better zoom quality. I can take both of them with me when I go abroad so the new camera does not have to have all the features of my current camera. I am afraid of shelling out a whole lot of money because I am worried that I won't use this camera much after one trip.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    300, but that is negotiable. I am also willing to buy used. I bought my last camera on ebay for less than half the retail price.
    Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Does not matter
    Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Not sure. Enough so that I have a good quality viewing the pictures on my laptop or printing them from my photo printer. I am not a professional I just don't want things to be blurry or grainy.
    * What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    A lot of zoom is needed. Maybe not ultrazoom, but that would be nice.
    * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Not necessary. It doesn't really matter. I would like an automatic option though.
    General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    The camera is mainly for my trip abroad. Trips of sites, landscapes, functions, people, any experiences that I have over there. But I already have one camera so I can limit this to just more distanced shots if I must (although I would rather not)
    * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Maybe. I would like the ability to if it is not too expensive.
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Again, maybe. See above answer.
    Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    No.
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No.
    (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    I have no idea. I don't think any of these things are necessary. But if you think they are necessary for my plans then go ahead and suggest them.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Abroad in Italy

Last year I recommended the Canon Elph 520 HS and I still recommend it today. It's very small, with good image and movie quality and 12x optical zoom. The price has gone down considerably and it's available now for $119 - a terrific buy considering its price last year was $279.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information