Quantcast Help deciding between G1 X or G12?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Help deciding between G1 X or G12?

Hello!

I have a Canon T4i, but am looking now for a point and shoot câmera, since I am traveling to Disney with my children and wanted a smaller camera. I just took a Photo course, so I've learned a little on how to take pics using manual.

I researched a lot, but didn't come to a conclusion, so I decided to write to hear from you...

Since I am using Canon, I think I should opt for a Canon as well, but if you say it does't mind, I could have another brand without problem...

Thank you very much for your help!

Luciana

Budget - I would go up to 750..

Size - compact and lighter as possible

Features - Since I undertook a photo class, want to take pics with good quality, but nothing specific.

How many megapixels will suffice for you? - same as prior question

What optical zoom will you need? think standard would be fine

How important is “image quality” to you? 8

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Yes

General Usage - I want to take it where I think my DSLR is big to go with. Traveling or going out with children, for eg.

What will you generally use the camera for? Taking my family's picture

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Not very big.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Not very much.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Movement yes, but not Sporting.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Like canon very much, but like others as Nikon or sony as well

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon G12 and G1 X. I don't want the G15 one, since it does not have a flexible LCD.

Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD). Rotating LCD yes.
    Last edited by lpapelbaum; 05-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Help deciding between G1 X or G12?

The G1x is a better camera than the G12. It's considerably newer (the G12 was released in 2010) and has a larger sensor. A new G12 is very hard to find right now because of its age. The G1x is an excellent camera but it's expensive ($650), heavy (534 grams) and very large for a point and shoot. An alternative you might want to consider is the Nikon P7700. Its performance is at least as good as the G1x and its image quality is not far off. Like the G1x the P7700 has an excellent fully articulated LCD screen and a useful viewfinder. It has buttons and dials galore so it's rarely necessary to delve into the camera's menu. It's smaller and lighter weight than the G1x. And it's almost $300 cheaper. Here are links to this website's reviews of the G1x and P7700.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Review

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review

Edit - correction - the Nikon P7700 does not have a viewfinder. But the articulating LCD is so good you won't miss it.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 05-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Question Re: Help deciding between G1 X or G12?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The G1x is a better camera than the G12. It's considerably newer (the G12 was released in 2010) and has a larger sensor. A new G12 is very hard to find right now because of its age. The G1x is an excellent camera but it's expensive ($650), heavy (534 grams) and very large for a point and shoot. An alternative you might want to consider is the Nikon P7700. Its performance is at least as good as the G1x and its image quality is not far off. Like the G1x the P7700 has an excellent fully articulated LCD screen and a useful viewfinder. It has buttons and dials galore so it's rarely necessary to delve into the camera's menu. It's smaller and lighter weight than the G1x. And it's almost $300 cheaper. Here are links to this website's reviews of the G1x and P7700.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Review

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review

Edit - correction - the Nikon P7700 does not have a viewfinder. But the articulating LCD is so good you won't miss it.
    Thank you very much for your answer and suggestion. I deffinitely prefer spending less and something lighter. But I think I would prefer a viewfinder instead of an articulating LCD. In this case would you suggest the G15 instead? Or any other option? I've heard of Nikon P7100, but is it worse than the P7700?
    Per as you can see, I can change my mind easily, ... So, what you would say it would be better among those three options (G15, P7100 or P7700), considering a point and shoot camera for traveling and taking beautiful pictures of the family using some of the tools I've learned in manual mode?

Thank you very much again!
    Luciana
    Last edited by lpapelbaum; 05-07-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The P7700 is a better camera than the P7100. It's faster, has better low light image quality (thanks to its CMOS sensor) and a better movie mode.

Per as you can see, I can change my mind easily, ... So, what you would say it would be better among those three options (G15, P7100 or P7700), considering a point and shoot camera for traveling and taking beautiful pictures of the family using some of the tools I've learned in manual mode?
    I really enjoy the image quality of Canon cameras - in fact I own three of them. But the Nikon P7700 has a few significant advantages over the Canon G15. One is the articulated LCD, which is much better than the G15's fixed LCD. Two is the P7700's easy panorama mode, which allows you to take panorama shots by sweeping the camera. The G15 has only the old-style panorama feature that requires you to stitch three photos together. Three is that the P7700 has a superior auto-focus system with 99 focus points, compared to 9 for the G15.
    The bottom line is that the P7700 has better features, but the G15 has more pleasing image quality (to my eyes) and a tunnel viewfinder (if that's important to you).
    Here are some sample pics.

nikon p7700 - Flickr: Search

canon g15 - Flickr: Search
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Oh... Now, I am in doubt... When you say about pleaseing images, do you think that when we print the canon images are better or more colorful?
    Regarding controls (Aperture, speed, Iso, etc), do you think both of them are the same or one is better than the other?
    Thank you very much for your help, Andy.
    Best regards, Luciana
    Last edited by lpapelbaum; 05-07-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by lpapelbaum View Post
    Oh... Now, I am in doubt... When you say about pleaseing images, do you think that when we print the canon images are better or more colorful?
    Regarding controls (Aperture, speed, Iso, etc), do you think both of them are the same or one is better than the other?
    Thank you very much for your help, Andy.
    Best regards, Luciana
    Canon's images are probably more enhanced than Nikon's so they are probably not as realistic, but I like them. You can make the colors stronger on both the G15 and the P7700 if you want to, though.
    As far as manual controls go, my favorite is shutter priority because I like the ability to control shutter speed in order to prevent blur. Both cameras have excellent manual controls and most of them are available to you without having to poke around in the menu, which is a real plus.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you very much again!

If I were you, i'll choose P7700.

Thread Information