Quantcast Replace Fujifilm F100fd with somthing better?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Replace Fujifilm F100fd with somthing better?

Hi,

I bought the Fujifilm F100fd on recommendations from this forum for about 4 years ago and it has been a really good camera! I have compared it with a stock Nikon D60 or Pentax k-m and the F100fd was not that far behind so the size made us keep it.

Now the battery is almost out and a new one is not that expensive but it have been 4 years and maybe we can get something a lot better?

A interested camera caught my attention, the Panasonic DMC-GF3 14 mm for about 243 EUR but im not sure this is a good buy? So what would you recommend based on this :

Budget

Less then 380 EUR

Size

It should be as small as possible, but the photo quality is important so it should at least be able to be placed in a jacket or in large pocket pants.

Features

- Quality is important, as good as possible in a small package.
    - Good low light/indoors quality
    - Macro
    - Zoom is not necessary but is a plus
    - Fast focus
    - Fast startup
    - It should be able to give a good point and shoot experience.

General Usage

It will be used for family photos where the photos will be placed in albums.
    Most of the photos will probably be indoor.
    Some times moving objects but not that often.

Miscellaneous

Fujifilm F100fd have been a impressive camera but maby the Panasonic DMC-GF3 14 mm would be a good step up?
    Last edited by Snowman; 05-13-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Default Re: Replace Fujifilm F100fd with somthing better?

Another interested camera but more expensive is the Canon PowerShot S110, maby that is a better choise in this case?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The GF3 is a better camera than the S110 with a larger sensor, better image quality and a longer battery life. The GF3 is also larger, heavier and bulkier because of its added lens. It's also considerably more expensive than the s110 and will exceed your 350 euro limit.
    If you should decide to go with the less expensive Canon S110 you might want to consider the Nikon P330, a similar camera that's about the same price. The main differences between the two cameras are image quality, with the Nikon slightly better in low light, the LCD screen, with the S110 having a 460,000 dot touchscreen and the P330 a very high resolution 920,000 dot non-touchscreen, and the fact that the Nikon has a built-in GPS.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The Panasonic DMC-GF3 cost about 245 EUR and the S110 costs about 322 EUR here in Sweden. The GF5 goes for 378.

The question is if the GF3 fits in a pocket?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The GF3 is a terrific buy for 245 EUR. Does it come with a lens? Keep in mind that not all 4/3 lenses (made for the GF3) have optical image stabilization (OIS) and, since OIS is not in the camera itself, make sure your lens has it.
    Will the GF3 fit into a pocket? No, not in a normal sized pocket if the lens is attached, except perhaps if you are using one of the pancake (prime) lenses. But even with the standard 3x zoom lens attached the GF3 should fit into a jacket pocket or a medium-sized purse. The GF3's body weighs 264 g, including battery, and its dimensions are 108mm wide, 67mm tall and 32mm thick.
    If you want a pocket-sized camera, the Canon S110 or the Nikon P330 are better choices.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

For indoors without flash, the fast lens on the S100 will be nice. I have a "rangefinder" style M4/3 camera similar to the GF3. Indoors it works nicely with my external flash gear. But that game requires a hotshoe on the camera, which the GF3 lacks.

M4/3 is not good for a simple pocket carry. Even with a pancake lens these cameras are a tad too heavy for most pockets. I use a small belt pouch type bag with mine.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

I have now tested the GF5 and its a no go. It is generating fine photos but its to large and the macro and zoom is not what I look for.

The S110 seems to be the best bet, will it be noticable better then the one I got?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Yes. The low light images will be better, as will the movie mode. The s110 also has manual exposure controls.
    The Nikon P330 also will be a noticeable improvement over the f100fd.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information