Quantcast nx1000 or wait for the Cyber-shot HX50V ? ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default nx1000 or wait for the Cyber-shot HX50V ? ?

Which is better ? most preffered ? need your help guys ! Thanks !

Super Moderator

Default Re: nx1000 or wait for the Cyber-shot HX50V ? ?

These are two different types of cameras. The Samsung NX1000 is a small, mirrorless camera that uses interchangeable lenses and has a large DSLR-like APS-C sensor. The Sony HX50v is a sophisticated point and shoot with a very long 30x zoom lens and a much smaller 1/2.3 inch sensor. If you desire the best possible image quality, including in low light, the Samsung NX1000 is far better. But if good image quality and a very long zoom lens is important, the Sony HX50v would be a good choice.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    These are two different types of cameras. The Samsung NX1000 is a small, mirrorless camera that uses interchangeable lenses and has a large DSLR-like APS-C sensor. The Sony HX50v is a sophisticated point and shoot with a very long 30x zoom lens and a much smaller 1/2.3 inch sensor. If you desire the best possible image quality, including in low light, the Samsung NX1000 is far better. But if good image quality and a very long zoom lens is important, the Sony HX50v would be a good choice.
    appreciate the response . . for your personal preference ..what will you choose ? Did you manage to get hold of a nx1000 ? sorry for asking too much . .can you share the experience ..i saw a lot of youtube videos but opinions will be appreciated.

Super Moderator

No, I don't have any personal experience with the Samsung NX cameras, but I have had experience with other brands of small, mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. They all have excellent image quality because of their large sensors but they lack many of the options you'll find in point and shoot cameras, like numerous scene modes including a built-in macro mode and in-camera image stabilization (most small, mirrorless cameras have image stabilization in the lens). Mirrorless cameras are also larger and bulkier than point and shoots like the Sony HX50v and won't fit into your pants pocket, especially when the standard zoom lens is attached.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

No, I don't have any personal experience with the Samsung NX cameras, but I have had experience with other brands of small, mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. They all have excellent image quality because of their large sensors but they lack many of the options you'll find in point and shoot cameras, like numerous scene modes including a built-in macro mode and in-camera image stabilization (most small, mirrorless cameras have image stabilization in the lens). Mirrorless cameras are also larger and bulkier than point and shoots like the Sony HX50v and won't fit into your pants pocket, especially when the standard zoom lens is attached.
    any suggestions on point and shoot cameras ? ? hmmm..nice image quality..18-20MP...300-400 dollars ...i really like the nx1000 but i will definitely consider your suggestions . .

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyoch View Post
    any suggestions on point and shoot cameras ? ? hmmm..nice image quality..18-20MP...300-400 dollars ...i really like the nx1000 but i will definitely consider your suggestions . .
    If you're looking for a small point and shoot camera between $300 and $400 you have essentially two types to consider.

One is the type with a large sensor and a relatively short optical zoom. The optical zoom is short because the large sensor requires a larger, heavier lens. The large sensor means that image quality will be excellent - better than other point and shoots though not DSLR quality. The best cameras in this class (small size, large sensor, under $400) are the Canon S110, Panasonic LX7, Samsung EX-2f and Nikon P330. All 4 are excellent.

The other is the type with a long zoom lens and a smaller sensor. These include the Sony HX20v (the new HX50v is priced higher than $400), Sony WX300, Canon SX260 HS, Panasonic ZS25, Fuji F900EXR, Olympus SH50 and Nikon S9500. All are good but my preference would be the Canon SX260, followed by the Sony HX20v and the Panasonic ZS25.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

If you're looking for a small point and shoot camera between $300 and $400 you have essentially two types to consider.

One is the type with a large sensor and a relatively short optical zoom. The optical zoom is short because the large sensor requires a larger, heavier lens. The large sensor means that image quality will be excellent - better than other point and shoots though not DSLR quality. The best cameras in this class (small size, large sensor, under $400) are the Canon S110, Panasonic LX7, Samsung EX-2f and Nikon P330. All 4 are excellent.

The other is the type with a long zoom lens and a smaller sensor. These include the Sony HX20v (the new HX50v is priced higher than $400), Sony WX300, Canon SX260 HS, Panasonic ZS25, Fuji F900EXR, Olympus SH50 and Nikon S9500. All are good but my preference would be the Canon SX260, followed by the Sony HX20v and the Panasonic ZS25.
    Canon SX260 = low resolution
    Sony HX20v = nice MP..one i am looking for ....

Now it boils down to nx1000 and the Sony HX20v .. ...Thanks sir for the advice....Now i need to make a decision...

Super Moderator

Canon SX260 = low resolution
    Don't get hung up on megapixels. Keep in mind that cameras in this class have a very tiny sensor (1/2.3 inches or 28.5 square mm) vs. a larger sensor (1/1.7 inches or 43.3 square mm) for a camera like the Canon S110 and much larger (370 square mm) for a camera with an APS-C sensor like the Samsung NX1000. So while 20 megapixels is fine for the Samsung NX1000, it would be overkill for a camera like the Canon SX260HS or Sony HX20v and result in poor low light performance. 10 megapixels is plenty for the 1/2;3 inch sensor that's standard in most point and shoot cameras and, in fact, most reviewers think the low light image quality of the Canon SX260 HS is superior to all the cameras in its class.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Unless you are cropping to a great degree, MPs are a poor rule for camera selection. Even an old 7 MP camera can make a good 11x14 inch print for your wall, if the image is not cropped. In most cases even a professional cannot tell you how many MP were used for any given image.

The NX1000 will have a little edge in resolution, due mostly to lens quality.

Canon and Sony give better looking images straight out of the camera. Nice contrast and color saturation. Samsung images are a little dull in this regard. Though that can easily be fixed later with an image editor. Here is a link to an article on editing -

DCR Workshop: Post-Processing to Get What You Want

Forget MP, seriously,
    Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks Kenny ! !

So what camera are you recommending ? Sony HX20v ? or wait for the Cyber-shot HX50V ? I'm pretty sure youre not suggesting the nx1000..hehehe..but i really appreciate your insights on this ...I sold my d3100 so i can upgrade , but i dont want a DSLR anymore since i dont want a big camera...nx1000 is just ok..but a nice point and shoot will be ok...$300 to $400 will be ok ...

Appreciate you guys ....I've come to the right forum . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information