Quantcast Buy new camera or lens

+ Reply to Thread

Default Buy new camera or lens

I have a canon t1i and the kit 18-55 lens and a 70-300 zoom f4-f5:6.
    I want to upgrade to take sharper pictures that can be cropped or blown up to 11x14 or larger. I am better off to buy a better camera or go with a better lens. Budget is under $800

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Buy new camera or lens

The problem is not the camera. The T1i is capable of taking excellent pictures.
    As far as your lenses are concerned is your kit lens the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II? Is your long lens the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM? Both lenses are very good, especially the USM lens. If you didn't mind investing the money you may get better images if you replace your kit lens with a USM lens, for instance the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, though there's no guarantee. Have you tried manually focusing your camera instead of using autofocus? That would probably make the most difference in your images.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

You daylight shots should be sharp enough with these lenses. If you are getting soft images indoors, that can be improved with better technique. Or simply add light. There are also "fast" lenses for indoor use, but they can get expensive, so you need to be sure of just what focal length you really need. And a fast lens will still not make a indoor shot pop like adding a speedlight. In many cases adding light is the less expensive solution compared to buying fast lenses.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific. I want to print some large images and my pictures are sharp but lose sharpness at largers sizes. Should I be looking for more mega pixels and bettor sensor in new camera or can I achieve more sharpness through a faster lens? I shoot a lot outdoors but have also recently tried portraits with softbox and flash.

First of all, congratulations on trying an external speedlight with softbox. That is an important step that few camera owners, even DSLR owners, ever take. The 15Mp of the T1i is enough for a sharp print, so long as you are not cropping a lot. For portraiture, you may see a nice improvement with a 50mm Canon "prime" lens. AKA "nifty fifty". In the f/1.8 design these are super low priced, no reason for a portrait guy not to have one. The 50mm f/1.4 design is pricier, but may be worth considering. There are also a number of f/2.8 zoom lenses that are sharp, that game can get really pricey, I would give one of the 50mm primes a try first.

Kelly
    Last edited by KCook; 05-23-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by segphoto View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific. I want to print some large images and my pictures are sharp but lose sharpness at largers sizes. Should I be looking for more mega pixels and bettor sensor in new camera or can I achieve more sharpness through a faster lens? I shoot a lot outdoors but have also recently tried portraits with softbox and flash.
    The T1i has 15 megapixels, which is more than enough to achieve very good sharpness, even if you do a lot of cropping.
    I still think you ought to consider manual focusing.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information