Quantcast Nikon p330 vs. Canon Powershot s110 vs. Samsung EX2F

+ Reply to Thread

Default Nikon p330 vs. Canon Powershot s110 vs. Samsung EX2F

Hi everyone!

i've been taking pictures with my dslr for the past few years and i've grown tired of always carrying it around on long trips during my holidays. so i started looking for a good compact camera. i'm looking for good quality but it doesn't have to be a top range camera (like the nikon p7700 or the sony dsc rx100). so i concentrated myself on the nikon p330, the canon powershot s110 and the samsung ex2f. all these cameras have an aperture of 2.0 or brighter. i'd like to be able to get nice pictures even when it's getting dark and i know from a friend who's got the nikon p310 that that camera is able to take nice pictures in the dark. i read several reviews on all of these cameras but i still can't decide which one might have an edge over the other ones. i like the fact, that the nikon has built in gps, but on the other hand i like the canon's touch screen and adjusting wheel and then again the nikon has a very bright aperture at 1.4f! so i was wondering if you could help me figure out which of these cameras might be the best suited for me. i'm looking for good, sharp, crisp images, good image quality in the dark, and if possible long battery life (which is not the case for any of those cameras as far as i know...) and yes, it has to be a compact camera (so don't tell me to stick with my dslr ). i want to be able to stuff it into my pocket.

thx

mcgfc

Super Moderator

Default Re: Nikon p330 vs. Canon Powershot s110 vs. Samsung EX2F

Hi everyone!
    i've been taking pictures with my dslr for the past few years and i've grown tired of always carrying it around on long trips during my holidays. so i started looking for a good compact camera. i'm looking for good quality but it doesn't have to be a top range camera (like the nikon p7700 or the sony dsc rx100).
    The Nikon P7700 is a top point and shoot camera but so are the cameras you're considering. They all have the same sized sensor. The Sony RX100 has a larger sensor and takes better pictures, especially in low light.

so i concentrated myself on the nikon p330, the canon powershot s110 and the samsung ex2f. all these cameras have an aperture of 2.0 or brighter. i'd like to be able to get nice pictures even when it's getting dark and i know from a friend who's got the nikon p310 that that camera is able to take nice pictures in the dark.
    The Nikon P330 has a larger sensor than your friend's Nikon P310 and takes better looking pictures.

i read several reviews on all of these cameras but i still can't decide which one might have an edge over the other ones. i like the fact, that the nikon has built in gps, but on the other hand i like the canon's touch screen and adjusting wheel and then again the nikon has a very bright aperture at 1.4f! so i was wondering if you could help me figure out which of these cameras might be the best suited for me. i'm looking for good, sharp, crisp images, good image quality in the dark, and if possible long battery life (which is not the case for any of those cameras as far as i know...) and yes, it has to be a compact camera (so don't tell me to stick with my dslr ). i want to be able to stuff it into my pocket.
    All three cameras are very good. As you point out each camera has its pluses and minuses.
    The Canon S110 and Nikon P330 are approximately the same size. The Samsung EX2f is significantly larger (although still pocket-sized).
    All three have mediocre battery life.
    The Nikon is the only one with built-in GPS.
    The Canon is the only one without an auto-panorama function.
    The Samsung is the only one with a hotshoe (for adding an external flash).
    All three have similar sensors 1/1.7 back illuminated CMOS.
    All three can shoot in RAW.
    The Canon and Nikon have 5x optical zoom lenses, the Samsung only a 3.3x.
    The Nikon has the highest resolution LCD
    The Canon is the only one with a touchscreen LCD
    The Samsung has the fastest aperture, both at wide angle and zoom.
    They all have 10 frame per second continuous shooting ability.

If I had to choose it would be either the Canon or the Nikon due to their small size, excellent image quality and many features. As between the two it comes down to the Canon's touchscreen vs the Nikon's GPS.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thank you for this detailed comparison!

one more thing: is there any noticeable difference in speed (turning on, focusing, shutter lag when taking photos) between the s110 and the p330?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mcgfc View Post
    one more thing: is there any noticeable difference in speed (turning on, focusing, shutter lag when taking photos) between the s110 and the p330?
    No, they're both pretty quick.
    Here are some sample images from both cameras. Both take very nice looking pictures.
    P330
    Flickr Search: nikon p330

S110
    Flickr Search: canon s110
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Hello,

I'm new here. I thought I would add some first-hand info about the EX2F and the Canon S100, along with some data from reviews of the S110 and Coolpix 330.

I have shot about 1,000 images with the S100 over 18 months, followed by 2500 with the Samsung over a period of less than a month. I would have to say that an experienced photographer who values build quality and handling would find the Samsung a pleasure to use and would therefore be inclined to use it well and heavily, as the reviewer suggests. I find that the website review of the EX2F is quite valid, in that respect.

I have found the fully-articulated (and quite vivid) screen especially useful and pleasurable to use. The reviewer evidently felt the same. However, the user needs to be of a similar mentality to exploit it fully. If you want to capture a chipmunk's-eye view of growing flowers or plants, the only other way is either to lie flat on the ground or get into a contorted position that will cause back strain - or worse.

For street and candid photography (as it was once known), you can use the EX2F like a twin-lens reflex. Staring down into the screen, you will be generally ignored by your potential subjects, who will not be fully aware that you are taking pictures. It has worked that way for me.

Significantly, the screen can also be used as a means of changing perspective. If you want to make, for instance, a building appear more rectilinear, you can raise the camera as high as your arms (I use two hands) can extend, tilting the screen as much as 90 degrees downward. Of course, the taller the building, the less the effect will be.

Just to have some fun and be unobtrusive, you can even shoot around corners. The point is, if ultimate image quality is the first priority, I must suggest that there is no reason to bother with virtually anything other than medium format. I will also suggest that if you are interested in a compact camera, the main point is to get the shot, and to enjoy doing it.

That means having (and using) a camera that feels right, is straightforward in operation and does not unduly slow you down. That means that complex menus and fiddly buttons and switches are obstacles, regardless of the "indispensable" features they might activate. Also, a camera that is too small, too light, feels flimsy, slow or unbalanced will end up sitting in a drawer rather than taking pictures, regardless of the potential technical quality of the images it can produce in theory or in a test session.

Now that the hometown camera shop is an endangered species, there are few places one can go, in too much of this country, to see, feel and handle the cameras one is considering, or to discuss the experience that photographers, as opposed to electronics fanciers, have had with various models in producing photographs, rather than test shots.

Even the majority of published camera reviews seem to be written by technical experts rather than photographers. This website's review of the EX2F appears to be a rare exception, emphasizing the photographic experience over the laboratory report data.

Finally, I need to report the reason why I no longer use the Canon S100. I am a victim of the "lens error" problem reported on the Internet by any number of frustrated users. Unfortunately, there are a number of reports of repeat failure after repair. There is no particular reason to assume that the S110 will fare better. It appears to be virtually the same design, and failure reports are starting to appear on websites here and there.

While the Nikon does not have similar baggage, user reports on the 330 seem to suggest that the build quality is not especially rugged. Otherwise, it looks like a winner in the image quality department but lacks the articulated screen of the P7700 or EX2F.

All I can tell you is that after 50+ years as a fanatical semi-pro photographer, I find that the EX2F is a camera that I want to find occasions to use. It is that much fun, and the images are just fine. If you are concerned that another model is theoretically capable of producing better jpegs in low light, try to shoot RAW when you are in the dark with the EX2F. Otherwise, with the sole exception of the Panasonic LX7, no camera can stay with the EX2F at f/1.4 at 24mm.

Super Moderator

Cabbie68
    Thanks for pointing out that the Samsung EX2f has a fully articulated LCD. I've used other cameras with similar LCD's and found them very useful, for the reasons you mentioned.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Hello again,

I thought to add that for unobtrusive low-light work, you will need to use a camera that can focus without need of an assist light. An f/1.4 lens, all else being equal, should theoretically provide a full stop advantage over an f/2, or twice as much illumination, for focusing as well as for shooting purposes.

You will also need to consider the effectiveness of a given camera's image stabilization system. For anything but moving subjects, that can be critical.

Again, if there is any way for you to handle, and shoot a few images with, the respective candidates at the same time, that would be the best means of arriving at a valid choice as to what model suits you. I will suggest that the optimal tool for you is the one that best helps realize your own photographic goals.

By the way, if value or cost are factors, the Samsung now sells for $300 or less. The Nikon 310 seems to be going for less than $200. If price is not a major consideration, the only compact zoom with a seriously-sized sensor is the Sony RX-100, at $650. If image quality is your first priority, especially in low lighting, virtually any other compact zoom comes in a rather distant second in that respect, according to the reviewers.

Best of luck!

Thread Information