Quantcast What is the most suitable DSLR for "a beginner" .. PENTAX K-5II, nikon D5200, or nikon D3200 ??

+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the most suitable DSLR for "a beginner" .. PENTAX K-5II, nikon D5200, or nikon D3200 ??

Hello ..

first of all, I'd like to point out that I am a hobbyist, I practice photography for my own pleasure, right now am only using my phone and my point and shoot camera "it's been a while", and i would like to get more serious "not like a pro or something ... i just want to get better results" ... I've done a lot of research, and narrowed down my choices to 3 cameras, which are:
    1- PENTAX K-5II
    I've considered the K-5, but i read a lot of complains about the "mirror flop" problem, and that scared me a little bit.

2- nikon D5200

I really like this camera, but it lacks weather sealing "that what makes the K-5II very tempting in that price range".

3- nikon D3200

I thought of getting this one "as the cheaper version of the D5200" with a couple of lenses, or even a bundle "bunchof them are available in amazon.

Ok ..... I like to shoot outdoors mostly, like landscapes, birds, and camping trips , and because of that "I think", a durable camera would be preferable "also, considering the fact that I live in Libya (north Africa) where the weather is a little dusty and HOT" , I also like to shoot some video occasionally.
    aaaaand i can't spend more than a 1000$, sooo what do you think ??

Cool Re: What is the most suitable DSLR for "a beginner" .. PENTAX K-5II, nikon D5200, or nikon D3200 ??

I'm a Canon guy, so I will just fire a few stray bullets here.

If you have access to very old Nikon or Pentax lenses, simply stick with the same brand.

If you already have a favorite photography writer / blogger / workshop guy, go with his brand. You will always speak the same language.

If the D5200 price is easy for you, lower price is not a good enough reason for going with the D3200. If cost is important, then consider a nice used D90, D5100, or even D7000. In my view the 2-lens bundles are not a strong reason for going with a cheaper body. Those bundle prices are low because the lenses are low price in the first place. Easy enough to add the 2nd lens later.

I live in Arizona, also a hot, dusty, desert climate. Lots of happy DSLR owners here who do not have weather sealing (myself included). I do take precautions: I always have a nice bag along, and I don't change lenses frequently. I try to plan ahead for just one or 2 lenses for that day. If you expect to get caught out in a dust storm, then weather sealing would be good for peace of mind. I simply leave my cameras at home when conditions are that bad. Or zipped up inside a tight bag.

Kelly Cook
    Last edited by KCook; 06-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator

Default Re: What is the most suitable DSLR for "a beginner" .. PENTAX K-5II, nikon D5200, or nikon D3200 ??

If you're set on an environmentally sealed DSLR for $1000 or less, other than the Pentax K 5ii, are the Pentax K 30, Nikon D7000 and Canon D60. All three are fine cameras, though the K30 is smaller, lighter and has a few lesser features than the other two but is still a very fine DSLR.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: What is the most suitable DSLR for "a beginner" .. PENTAX K-5II, nikon D5200, or nikon D3200 ??

Andy is right. But the kicker for the sealed Canon and Nikon bodies is that you will also need sealed lenses. The usual consumer price lenses for both Canon and Nikon have no such seal. The sealed lenses for Canon are the "L" series, uber expensive. I expect the same situation exists for Nikon. To the credit of Pentax, that company does offer sealed lenses at affordable prices. In the greater "sealed scheme of things", that factoid is actually more important than their sealed bodies.

Kelly

Thread Information