Quantcast Another point & shoot request - for travel in low light

+ Reply to Thread

Default Another point & shoot request - for travel in low light

Hi all,
    I am looking for a camera to easily take with me for travel. I have a dslr, but it gets so heavy when I am out for an entire day & I am very unhappy with my old sony point & shoot. I loved the picture quality of my old canon elph -- in particular I always thought the shots were very vibrant and rarely blurry.

My BUDGET is $200.
    Preferred SIZE is something small & light enough to be easily portable in a bag but does not need to fit into my pocket.
    I don't have a preference in terms of MEGAPIXELS, as anything nowadays is probably plenty for me.
    I would prefer OPTICAL ZOOM that was 10x+
    IMAGE QUALITY is very important 9/10 -- in particular I would like to take good pictures in low light, both indoors and outdoors and I like vibrant shots.
    I would like APERTURE PRIORITY manual settings, but its not a deal breaker.

GENERAL USAGE:
    I will generally use this camera while traveling, so it can range from nature hikes to long tours in museums.
    I am not planning to make big prints, but I would like to have the ability to do so. Its not a deal breaker
    I will not likely shoot many sport photos where I will need multiple fast shots, but I will shoot people in motion doing normal things.

MISC
    I really have been happy with multiple canon elphs that I have had over time, but I was less happy with my Xti dslr. I was not happy with my Sony cybershot. I had been looking primarily at the Canon SX160 and SX500, but my main hesitation was comments saying that the image quality was not ideal.

Image stabilization would be nice, as most cameras I've had included it, and if there is an option that has very good image quality, especially in low light, with a good zoom AND is waterproof (for the purpose of being able to take it while splashing around in the water, not really for underwater shots) and in my pricerange that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by moneypenny02; 06-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Another point & shoot request - for travel in low light

To get good low light image quality you'll want a camera with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and optical image stabilization. There are many cameras within your price range that qualify, though fewer with at least a 10x zoom lens, fewer still that have aperture priority mode and none at all that are waterproof.

Since you like Canons, check out the Elph 330 (10x) and Elph 520/530 (12x) (do not have an auto-panorama mode).
    For Nikons look at the S6300/6500 (10x/12x), S9200 (18x) and the L820 (30x) (uses AA batteries).
    For Fujifilm look at the F660EXR (15x) and F770EXR (20x). Both have aperture priority.

You say you like Canons and they do have nice image quality. But they lack an auto-panorama mode, which most good cameras are equipped with these days.
    The Nikons are good all around.
    Only the two Fuji cameras have aperture priority. The F770 is a better all around camera than the F660.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    To get good low light image quality you'll want a camera with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and optical image stabilization. There are many cameras within your price range that qualify, though fewer with at least a 10x zoom lens, fewer still that have aperture priority mode and none at all that are waterproof.

Since you like Canons, check out the Elph 330 (10x) and Elph 520/530 (12x) (do not have an auto-panorama mode).
    For Nikons look at the S6300/6500 (10x/12x), S9200 (18x) and the L820 (30x) (uses AA batteries).
    For Fujifilm look at the F660EXR (15x) and F770EXR (20x). Both have aperture priority.

You say you like Canons and they do have nice image quality. But they lack an auto-panorama mode, which most good cameras are equipped with these days.
    The Nikons are good all around.
    Only the two Fuji cameras have aperture priority. The F770 is a better all around camera than the F660.
    Thank you for the response! I had been reading other threads re: point & shoot suggestions, and these are definitely different, so thanks for the very specific response.

A follow-up: How would you compare the Elph 330 or 520/530 to the SX160 or SX500 in terms of image quality for the purposes described above? The price point is not very different so I don't want to regret spending the money for an elph if I could have had a bit more advanced point & shoot, BUT the most important thing to me is picture quality so I also don't want to get a slightly fancier camera that just takes worse pictures!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Elphs have better image quality, especially in low light, due to their CMOS sensors. The SX160 and SX500 have the older, less sophisticated CCD sensors.
    The SX240/260/280 are three versions of Canon's best small long zoom point and shoot. They do have the CMOS sensor, a very long zoom lens and manual exposure controls, including aperture priority. However, no auto-panorama mode.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The Elphs have better image quality, especially in low light, due to their CMOS sensors. The SX160 and SX500 have the older, less sophisticated CCD sensors.
    The SX240/260/280 are three versions of Canon's best small long zoom point and shoot. They do have the CMOS sensor, a very long zoom lens and manual exposure controls, including aperture priority. However, no auto-panorama mode.
    Okay, I've spent most of the afternoon looking at these cameras, but I still have some questions to compare them. Based on pricing and from what I can glean from the specs my two best options are the Elph 520 - 12x zoom, 28mm, 1:3.4. An added bonus is that I can also get a waterproof case for this camera and together they add up to under $200. Ca-ching! (but hate the boxy-look). And the SX260 - 20x zoom, 25mm, 1:3.5. No waterproof case available that I would trust. :-/ Also camera alone is over $200. :-(

It was hard to compare between the two in terms of actual quality in terms of low light and in general based on the reviews I am reading. Any insight into which you think would perform the best? I was excited at the prospect of 20x zoom, but also excited at the prospect of a sub-$200 package that would allow me to go in water.

Thanks so much!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I think most people would agree that the sx260 is the better camera for three main reasons - 1 - better image quality (more detailed images due to its higher resolution sensor), 2- more zoom and 3-manual exposure controls. There's also the fact that, for many people, the SX260's larger size is an advantage as the Elph 520 can be tricky to operate for those with bigger hands. Whether the SX260 is worth the extra money is up to you, of course.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I think most people would agree that the sx260 is the better camera for three main reasons - 1 - better image quality (more detailed images due to its higher resolution sensor), 2- more zoom and 3-manual exposure controls. There's also the fact that, for many people, the SX260's larger size is an advantage as the Elph 520 can be tricky to operate for those with bigger hands. Whether the SX260 is worth the extra money is up to you, of course.
    Still debating on whether its worth the extra dough & inability to use in and around water....man this is a tough choice!!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by moneypenny02 View Post
    Still debating on whether its worth the extra dough & inability to use in and around water....man this is a tough choice!!
    If you're willing to consider a non-Canon, the Olympus TG-630 is a waterproof camera with a CMOS sensor and 5x optical zoom that's within your price range. There haven't been many reviews yet but it should be similar to the TG-830, which has received generally good reviews.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks....I think that the extra zoom is more important than the underwater use. I do still have the underwater case for the sony that I dont love, so I can just take that with me for shots in the elements or in water. I pretty much decided on the SX260. Now I just need to bite the bullet and shell out the cash....

Thread Information