Quantcast Portable Lighting Center Hotspot Problem

+ Reply to Thread

Default Portable Lighting Center Hotspot Problem

I've purchased a couple of inexpensive, LED, shoe-mounted lights for my camcorder and they produce a center hotspot. I've also tried a few in local camera stores that have the same problem. Can someone recommend such a light that is capable of more even lighting across the frame?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Portable Lighting Center Hotspot Problem

What model are you currently using?
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Portable Lighting Center Hotspot Problem

Thanks for the reply.

I was so displeased with the first two I bought that I relegated them to a junk box in my basement (among many junk boxes) and I don't remember the models. I purchased a Sunpak VL-LED-36-BR at Walmart last night that has what looks like a unique feature of being able to turn the three LED bars slightly left and right, which may solve the hotspot problem; but, it is a very direct, very bright light that causes people to squint. Also, the diffuser and the soft-tone color correction filter mentioned in the Amazon ad did not come with the one I got at Walmart

I have looked for a hot-shoe bracket that would allow me to turn that light (or any other) straight up for indirect lighting; but, so far, I haven't found one.

I did still photography professionally for many years back in the pre-digital days and, frankly, I am surprised at this hot-spot problem that is seemingly ignored by every manufacturer. In still photography, even the cheapest of flashes produce even lighting. Not so with continuous video lighting.

Thread Information