Quantcast MILC or Point-n-Shoot?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MILC or Point-n-Shoot?

I mainly use my camera for photography natural scenery, city skylines (lots of night photos), and food. I was looking at the Sony NEX6 for my next camera, but me being the indecisive me, started considering point-n-shoot again, namely Sony DSC-RX100. I'm looking for something that will shoot well at night, and must have panoramic view. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    $800 or less, used or new.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Not DSLR big. If MILC, I probably will just stick with the stock/smallest lens.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Not sure, >8?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    The more the better

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Nope, as long as it photographs well at night.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Natural scenery, night photography (big, bright cities), and food.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    A lot of low light yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Probably not

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    None

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Currently look at the Sony NEX6 and Sony DSC-RX100

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Must have panoramic view!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: MILC or Point-n-Shoot?

The Sony NEX-6 is an outstanding camera, but so is the RX100. Both will take great looking photos, in good light and low light (the NEX-6 will be better in low light). A couple of things to consider, though.
    The NEX-6, with a lens attached, is somewhat bulky and won't fit into a pocket, while the RX100 will.
    The RX100 does not have a viewfinder - the NEX-6 has an excellent electronic viewfinder.
    A long zoom lens can be added to the NEX-6 (though it will cost more and add bulk), but with the RX100 you're limited to 3.6X optical zoom.
    The NEX-6 has built-in WiFi. With the RX-100 you'll have to add a WiFi memory card to get WiFi.

If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, Panasonic is about to release its new camera, the LF1, a large-sensor point and shoot which is similar to the RX100 (though smaller). While the LF1 has a slightly smaller sensor than the RX100 it is much less expensive, has a high-quality electronic viewfinder (unlike the RX100), does auto-panorama shots (like the NEX-6 and RX100), has built-in WiFi plus has a longer lens than the RX100 - a 7.1X optical zoom.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 06-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

This one? I wouldn't mind waiting for this, and maybe a few additional weeks for some reviews as well.
    Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 12 MP Digital Camera (Black): PANASONIC: Camera & Photo

I looked at some of the LF1's Youtube videos, none of them actually show you the taking of a panoramic or a night photo... Two things I'm most interested in.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The LF1 has the autopanorama function. At wide angle it has a maximum aperture of F2.0, which combined with it's 1/1.7 inch CMOS sensor should result in very good low light shots.

See DMC-LF1 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

2 more weeks! So excited!

How does this compare to Olympus XZ-10?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingGracePlayer View Post
    How does this compare to Olympus XZ-10?
    The Panasonic LF1 is a newer camera than the Olympus XZ-1 and has it beat in most respects. The LF1 has a CMOS sensor, has a longer optical zoom, a sharper LCD, a higher resolution video mode, a stereo microphone, a built-in viewfinder, The XZ-1 has a faster lens, a flash hotshoe and better battery life. The newer Olympus XZ-2 improves on the XZ-1 in many ways and is probably as good as if not better than the Panasonic LF1 in all respects except optical zoom, where it has 4x compared to 7x for the Panasonic. Probably a better deal than all three is the Panasonic LX7, which is less expensive than the LF1, has a faster lens for better low light ability and has a flash hotshoe, butt only has 3.8x optical zoom and lacks a viewfinder.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I don't have to have a viewfinder if the low light shooting ability is better. Zoom is not a major determining factor either, but higher is always better. I guess I'm really looking for a camera that can shoot low light well, can shoot panorama well, and can shoot panorama in low light well.
    Last edited by AmazingGracePlayer; 07-09-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingGracePlayer View Post
    I don't have to have a viewfinder if the low light shooting ability is better. Zoom is not a major determining factor either, but higher is always better. I guess I'm really looking for a camera that can shoot low light well, can shoot panorama well, and can shoot panorama in low light well.
    The Sony RX100 is the best low light shooter but it's priced very high - $650. If $650 is too high but $500 is OK, the Panasonic LF1 seems to have it over its competitors.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

But how much better is Sony RX1000 vs. P LF1 vs. P LX7 in terms of marginal return for the extra money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information