Quantcast Need suggestion for upgrading Camera

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need suggestion for upgrading Camera

Hi All,

I m not a professional photographer, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on dpreview and somwhat confused about, what should be better for me.
    I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.
    From past few days, I was reading about MILC and if I am understanding correctly, those will be less weighted but still give high quality of images.

My preferences will be --
    - I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. So, DSLR may not be suitable for me to hang it in my neck and roam around whole day. I am not looking for compact, but not as heavy as DSLR's.
    - My photography will not be in actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.
    - I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.
    - Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.
    - Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.
    - I would not like to go beyond 700$.
    - Not sure, if I plan to choose a photography class sometime later, will it require to have DSLR ?
    - Wifi, GPS not required.

I am new to this field and so many reviews?posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.
    Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will research more on them. Please suggest. Below are required questions -- >

Budget
    * What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    -- upto 700$

Size
    * What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    -- Do not want to carry bulky camera like DSLR

Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    -- Standard/Ultrazoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    -- 7/8 (Not really sure, but want good one)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Not sure

General Usage
    * What will you generally use the camera for?
    -- I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    -- No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    -- Many times, yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    -- Not really

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    -- No

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    -- Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Rotating LCD (secondary preference)

Thanks
    Abhishek

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Need suggestion for upgrading Camera

MILC stands for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. These are generally excellent cameras with a small body the size of a compact camera and a large DSLR-like sensor. All of them have extensive manual controls (though not to the extent of a DSLR). Some have the controls accessible through buttons and dials on the camera and others only through the menu. All have interchangeable lenses. Most of the MILC cameras don't have a viewfinder.

Some of the most popular MILC cameras are the NEX cameras from Sony, the Panasonic GX and GF series, the Olympus EPL and EPM series and the Nikon 1 series. All of these cameras can be used with numerous compatible lenses, which you buy separately.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thanks Andy for replying my query. I was reading about camera and its fuctions and narrowed down my list as below -

Samsung NX10
    Samsung NX300
    Sony NEX5N or NEX5R or NEX3N
    Sony RX100
    Panasonic LF1
    Sony DSLT A58
    Nikon 1 V2
    Panasonic G6
    RX100 (It is compact, so I know after some time, I will have less scope to expermient and play. Am I correct ? )
    Any other ?

Can you comment on this, if I am going to right direction according to my preference ?

"Wildlife" means different things to different people. If the wildlife are at a long distance away, then you will need a long telephoto zoom. Which means the expense of an additional lens for a MILC. The SLR-like "bridge" or "ultrazoom" cameras come with a huge zoom (for range, not aperture) built in. So they are a better value if wildlife are important to you.

Low light photos (without flash) are certainly possible with a MILC with its "kit" lens. But these lenses are f/3.5, so an extra high ISO is needed. You can buy a fast lens for a MILC (f/1.8), but again, extra cost. Some advanced compact cameras like the Panasonic LX5/7 come with a very fast lens built in. But on those compacts you cannot change the lens, so no hope ever of long telephoto.

My MILC is the Olympus PEN PL2 (Micro4/3 type), so I can help a little with questions on Olympus. Linkys to lots more info on the MILC topic -

Holiday Buyers Guide 2011: Which Big Sensor Camera Should You Buy?

Best Compact Interchangeable Lens Cameras

Truly compact ILC

Want to upgrade from canon sx40 ,below are requirements..

New Camera For a year abroad

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks Kelly.
    I just went to best buy and tried different cameras. When I went into DSLR section, it was really trying to change my mind to adopt one of them. Pictures were sharp and they had some kind of (visible) depth in their picture. That was looking more natural in comparison to other compact cameras. Even high end compact camera like NEX series was not giving that natural depth of picture. I don't know, technically what this term is called. Is this difference only visible on LCD of camera, or on real picture also this kind of difference will be there ?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by abhisheks77 View Post
    Thanks Andy for replying my query. I was reading about camera and its fuctions and narrowed down my list as below -

Samsung NX10
    Samsung NX300
    Sony NEX5N or NEX5R or NEX3N
    Sony RX100
    Panasonic LF1
    Sony DSLT A58
    Nikon 1 V2
    Panasonic G6
    RX100 (It is compact, so I know after some time, I will have less scope to expermient and play. Am I correct ? )
    Any other ?

Can you comment on this, if I am going to right direction according to my preference ?
    The LF1 and RX100 are high quality compact cameras that, in most shooting situations, will give you image quality that rivals DSLR's and MILC's. They don't use interchangeable lenses, though. This is more of an issue with the RX100 because its lens has a maximum 3.6x zoom, while the lens of the LF1 has a maximum 7.1x zoom.

The Samsung NX10, Panasonic G6 and Sony SLT A58 are more like small DSLR's since, even though they are mirrorless, they are larger than compact cameras and have viewfinders. They are excellent cameras and may be a good compromise for you since they have the look and the functionality of a DSLR but are smaller and lighter in weight. However, keep in mind that the Samsung NX10 is an older model and lacks some of the features of the newer G6 and SLT A58. The Sony NEX cameras are excellent as is the Nikon 1 V2. The Samsung NX300 lacks a built-in flash.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 07-18-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I have made a lot of one-on-one comparison photos with my DSLR and my "compact" M4/3 camera. The only time I have seen any difference in "depth" is when backlighting is an issue. This is when there is a very strong light behind the subject. The smaller camera has a smaller lens, which is more susceptible to flare. Flare makes the outline of the subject look a little washed out. It is pretty rare to encounter a backlit situation in day to day picture taking, so I don't regard this as a big problem. However, backlighting could certainly be a problem in playing with cameras in the bad lighting normally found inside stores. Store visits are good, really essential, for judging the size, weight, feel, and how ugly different cameras may be. A store visit is the very last place I would try to judge image quality. For checking image quality you are much better off comparing the sample images provided in camera reviews by sites like this one.

Kelly

After learning much by posts, I think I should reconsider my preference and here I what I want to post now. Please consider this and help me in deciding.

Hi All,

I m not a professional photographer, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on internet and somewhat confused about, what should be better for me.
    I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.

My preferences will be --
    - I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. I will go for non-dslr's if I can get same image quality in them.
    - My photography will not be in sports/actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.
    - I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.
    - Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.
    - Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.
    - I may not go beyond 750$.
    - Not sure, if I plan to choose a photography class sometime later, will it require to have DSLR ?
    - Wifi, GPS not required.

If I am understanding correctly, below camera will give me almost equivalent image as DSLR's
    Sony NEX-5/6.
    Samsung NX300/NX1000.
    Fuji X-M1 - Price not known, but I saw good reviews on internet.
    Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - Price not known yet, but seems very promising camera.
    Sony Alpha SLT series - Can't comment on this, but found good reviews.

If I need to do too much compromise, I can opt for DSLR (light-weighted). Minimum I can see is Canon 100D. Except this one, others will go till 750 grams (including lens).
    Few of my (better photographer than me) friends suggested that, why I shouldn't go for DSLR's if I am ready to pay 700$ in compact/mirrorless/bridge cameras (only because of weight, huh ? ). Not sure, if this question is worth thinking.

I am new to this field and so many reviews posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.
    Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will narrow down my list and read more on them.

Regards
    Abhishek Singh

Depends on how serious the class is. If it is college level, for aspiring professionals, then it is nearly certain that a DSLR is required. This also applies to the expensive workshops given by traveling pros. But for a community school kind of class, for hobbyists, then it is unlikely that a DSLR is required.

The cameras you have listed cover a wide range of design, features, feel, lots of differences. The new Fuji X-M1 has a lot of appeal for me, but I have years of experience with fussy cameras. The Sony NEX6 at least has a viewfinder, but I prefer M4/3 over NEX, more lens choices for M4/3. Of course there are even fewer lens choices for the X-M1 than for NEX, I'm just keen to try the neat X-M1 body design.

So far Samsung cameras have not made a lot of fans here in the USA, your country may be different. I don't need very long telephoto, so the Panasonic FZ72 has no appeal for me. The Sony SLT are easy for a beginner to learn, but they are the same size as DSLR. So if the SLT is under serious consideration, then the Canon 100D also deserves a close look.

Stop reading and spend more time at the stores examining how these cameras' bulk, feel, weight, and viewfinders fit you needs.

Kelly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

If I am understanding correctly, below camera will give me almost equivalent image as DSLR's
    Sony NEX-5/6.
    Samsung NX300/NX1000.
    Fuji X-M1 - Price not known, but I saw good reviews on internet.
    Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - Price not known yet, but seems very promising camera.
    Sony Alpha SLT series - Can't comment on this, but found good reviews.
    The Panasonic Lumix FZ72, while a good camera, will not provide DSLR image quality because it's a small-sensor ultrazoom. Also it's fairly heavy to carry around as it weighs about 1 and 1/3 pounds.
    If I need to do too much compromise, I can opt for DSLR (light-weighted). Minimum I can see is Canon 100D. Except this one, others will go till 750 grams (including lens).
    Few of my (better photographer than me) friends suggested that, why I shouldn't go for DSLR's if I am ready to pay 700$ in compact/mirrorless/bridge cameras (only because of weight, huh ? ). Not sure, if this question is worth thinking.
    If you want to shoot wildlife you'll need a long zoom lens. However an MILC or DSLR body with a general purpose lens and long zoom lens will cost more than $700, except for the Canon EOS 100D (Rebel T3). But the EOS 100D (and other DSLR's) with two lenses will require a sturdy case as the package will probably weigh at least 3 pounds.

A good alternative to a heavy DSLR would be the small, pocket sized Panasonic Lumix LF1, which has better image quality than a compact camera (though not in the same class as an MILC or DSLR) thanks to its fairly large 1/1.7 inch sensor. The LF1 also has manual controls and a 7.1x zoom lens for shooting at a fairly long range. The LF1 weighs less than 1/2 pound and doesn't require any additional lenses.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information