Quantcast Need Suggestions for my 1st Point& Shoot Camera under $500

+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Suggestions for my 1st Point& Shoot Camera under $500

Hi All,

I am beginner but ready to learn photography for best shots. Currently looking for point & shoot camera with below requirements. I have looked on reviews on various sites and with confused mind landed here. Can you please suggest some..

Budget : Under $500

Size: Compact

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Min 5x.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    9/10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    No idea.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    On tours( pics of Nature beauty), hangouts, Parties etc.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Nope

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Nope

Miscellaneous

Good Build Quality
    Less Shutter lag(to avoid blur for pics taken while moving).
    HD Video

Appreciate ur Help..

Thanks,
    Pavan.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Need Suggestions for my 1st Point& Shoot Camera under $500

The best quality point and shoot cameras have sensors that are larger than 1/2.3 inches, the size for most point and shoots. Larger sensors generally mean better image quality, especially in low light. Here are some large-sensor point and shoots that meet your criteria:
    Panasonic LF1 ( 7.1X optical zoom, electronic viewfinder), Canon S110 (touchscreen, small and lightweight, 5x optical zoom), Nikon P330 (5X optical zoom, small and lightweight), Canon G15 (5x optical zoom, viewfinder, solid build quality), Nikon P7700 (7.1x optical zoom, solid build quality).
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The best quality point and shoot cameras have sensors that are larger than 1/2.3 inches, the size for most point and shoots. Larger sensors generally mean better image quality, especially in low light. Here are some large-sensor point and shoots that meet your criteria:
    Panasonic LF1 ( 7.1X optical zoom, electronic viewfinder), Canon S110 (touchscreen, small and lightweight, 5x optical zoom), Nikon P330 (5X optical zoom, small and lightweight), Canon G15 (5x optical zoom, viewfinder, solid build quality), Nikon P7700 (7.1x optical zoom, solid build quality).

Thanks for the Suggestion, Stanton.

Now i have below cam's on my list.Can you please also help me to choose one of them. ( I highly appreciate if i can have Pros & Cons info for each.)

Cannon G15
    Nikon P7700
    Sony DSC-HX50 ( one of my frnd suggested..! It is compact & offering 30X Zoom.. Is this not good as G15 or P7700..?)

Thanks,
    Pavan.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Here are the pros and cons.

Canon G15 - Pros - Large 1/1.7 inch CMOS sensor for excellent image quality, good in low light as well. Very good movie ability. Extensive manual controls. RAW shooting option. Optical viewfinder. Excellent build quality. 5x optical zoom. Flash hot-shoe. Cons - Slow continuous shooting performance, no auto panorama feature.

Nikon P7700 - Pros - All the pros of the G15 except for optical viewfinder. The P7700 also has fast continuous shooting performance, fully articulated LCD screen, 7.1x optical zoom. and excellent auto-focus ability.. Cons - Other than continuous shooting speed, performance is a bit sluggish.

Sony HX50v - Pros - 30x optical zoom. Good image quality, in regular and low light. Manual controls. Flash hot-shoe. Built-in GPS and WiFi. Fast continuous shooting speed. Cons - Slightly sluggish performance other than continuous shooting.

All three are very good. If you want very long zoom in a small camera, the Sony HX50v is as good as it gets. Its built-in WiFi and GPS are a big plus. But the Canon G15 and Nikon P7700 have the HX50v beat in overall image quality, low light and movie ability. Plus the Nikon P7700's fully articulated LCD screen is very useful to take pictures down low, overhead and to the sides.

A good case can be made for any of the three cameras.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information