Quantcast Newbie desperately seeking a new camera.. HELP! :)

+ Reply to Thread

Question Newbie desperately seeking a new camera.. HELP! :)

Hi guys! Total noob here so please don't laugh at me. I've been reading reviews for weeks and my head is spinning. I just can't seem to grasp all the technical terms but I really need a good camera!
    I am looking for a point and shoot, something that can produce great photos in Auto modes because manual controls just boggle my mind. I am a nail polish blogger- I take lots of close up shots of my hands and nails so I need something that makes skin tone look nice and that is Very color accurate (I can't handle purples looking blue and vice versa anymore). I also have a toddler who's constantly on the move so I need something that's fast for moving subjects that will give me crisp clean high quality images.
    I had a little fuji f550 but the photos were always too dark (even under 2 ott bulbs in my lightbox) so I traded it to my mom for her nikon L120 thinking it's a bigger camera so maybe it'd be better.. not so much, and forget about taking kid pics with it, everything is a blurry mess...
    I have been looking at the Panasonic Lx7, Nikon p7700 or the Cannon G15. or possibly the nikon p330 or the cannon s110. but I'm leaning more towards the more hefty ones, the latter two seem like they'd be really small and slippery. I'd love a decent zoom range but I think image quality is slightly more important right now. My budget is $500 max tho less would be better then I could buy some accessories like the dc adapters so I don't need to use up my battery sitting on my floor taking pics of nail polish.
    I just wondered if anyone had experience with any of these and which one of these do you think will give me the very best natural looking colors? I don't have photoshop or anything (hopefully one day I will learn to shoot in and use RAW so I can tweak stuff) and eventually I will learn to use the manual controls but for now I need something that makes good jpegs and that's good in Auto and macro..
    ANY suggestions would be Greatly appreciated. <3

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Newbie desperately seeking a new camera.. HELP! :)

I think you'd really like the Nikon P7700, which I reviewed for this website. Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review
    It has excellent image quality, both outdoors and indoors, and very good performance, including quick, accurate auto-focusing. It's fairly large for a point and shoot, but very comfortable to hold thanks to its chunky, rubberized right-hand grip. Also it has an excellent very high resolution, fully adjustable LCD.

The only other high quality point and shoot that's of similar size and shape is the Canon G15, which is also excellent. Here's the link to a review on this website. Canon PowerShot G15 Review: A Professional's Point and Shoot However, the G15 has less optical zoom than the P7700, lacks the adjustable LCD and, to my eyes, tends to show blues with a purple tinge.

Here are some sample images from the Nikon P7700 and the Canon G15:
    Flickr Search: nikon p7700

Flickr Search: canon g15
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thanks Andy! I went ahead and ordered the p7700 on Amazon thanks to your advice. I really liked the physical looks and speed of the lx7 but I'm thinking the better color accuracy and zoom from the Nikon is more what I need. Reviews say is focuses slow tho so I'm hoping that it's at least fast enough for kid pics, I'm sure it's a million times better than what I have now anyways. Thanks again!

DigitalCameraReview Editor

Great advice, Andy. @tech_illiterate Let us know what you think about your camera after you receive it and have time to use it for your blog posts and your child's photos. We love to get follow up reports!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    I think you'd really like the Nikon P7700, which I reviewed for this website. Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review
    It has excellent image quality, both outdoors and indoors, and very good performance, including quick, accurate auto-focusing.]
    Hi Andy, hoping you can help me again. I went ahead and ordered the p7700. I just got it today and I'm TRYING to take a decent photo of my kid. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but no matter what settings I put it on even the slightest movement from her makes every photo a blurry mess. I cannot get it to take one single clean crisp photo. Is there some specific setting I need to have it on to make it fast and accurate? I'm feeling a little hopeless right now thinking I made the wrong choice.

Thread Information