Quantcast Camera for beginning family - Newbie

+ Reply to Thread

Default Camera for beginning family - Newbie

Well I just got married and will be starting a family soon. On our honeymoon, we took our 2 year old $150 Canon and realized we need to upgrade. Plus my wife has been wanting a new one and her birthday is around the corner. I will answer the "new buyer" questionnaire. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance:

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Would like to keep it between $300-400, but willing to go up to $500.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Not a major deal breaker. If I could get the same quality picture between two sizes, then a smaller one.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? Newbie so don't know the standard

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Would feel at the price range, at least Standard zoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 7-8

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Again, newbie. Would probably prefer a good Auto camera where I don't have to mess around with settings

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Vacations, family events

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Probably nothing bigger than an 8x10

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Probably not

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) No

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Camera for beginning family - Newbie

Canons are pretty good snapshot cameras. I spent $150 for my Canon Elph about two years ago and I think it's good for what it does. What do you find lacking in your $150 Canon? Image quality? Low light images? Speed of operation? Zoom ability? Ergonomics?
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

DigitalCameraReview Editor

It sounds like you are looking for a standard Point and Shoot camera that can produce very good image quality. Here are a few of my top P&S cameras:
    Canon G15 (They just announced the G16 last week. It has WI-Fi and NFC if that is important to you.) Or save some money and go with the G12 instead. Canon PowerShot G15 Review: A Professional's Point and Shoot
    Olympus TG-2. If you like macro, you will love this camera. Olympus TG-2: A Perfect Vacation Companion
    Samsung EX2F. Great camera and features for the price. Samsung EX2F Review: Retro Street Shooter
    Nikon P7700. Another great option. Great seller for Nikon. Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review

Take a look at the reviews and let us know what you think. If these prices are too high or none of these fit your needs I can suggest some others. I can't wait to hear what you end up with.

It is a decent camera, something that we would use if we go out and she wants to just throw something in her purse. I think it lacks image quality and zoom ability and even video capability. We are not looking to replace her Canon, but we want a very good camera for situations. We both come from big families, and we like to be able to "capture" all the moments. We are also planning on taking some nice vacations. Our last vacation using her camera was kind of like a "OK, its time to upgrade" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Hicks View Post
    It sounds like you are looking for a standard Point and Shoot camera that can produce very good image quality. Here are a few of my top P&S cameras:
    Canon G15 (They just announced the G16 last week. It has WI-Fi and NFC if that is important to you.) Or save some money and go with the G12 instead. Canon PowerShot G15 Review: A Professional's Point and Shoot
    Olympus TG-2. If you like macro, you will love this camera. Olympus TG-2: A Perfect Vacation Companion
    Samsung EX2F. Great camera and features for the price. Samsung EX2F Review: Retro Street Shooter
    Nikon P7700. Another great option. Great seller for Nikon. Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review

Take a look at the reviews and let us know what you think. If these prices are too high or none of these fit your needs I can suggest some others. I can't wait to hear what you end up with.
    Thanks Laura, will look into these. Was looking at the type of camera on my own, and had gotten into the DSLRs and mirrorless. I think the P&S is what I am looking for and will fit my needs.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Laura mentioned some excellent point and shoots. For the best image quality a point and shoot has to offer, look to those with sensors that are CMOS and 1/1.7 inches or larger. The point and shoot with the largest sensor is the Sony RX100 but that's also the most expensive. I like the Nikon P7700 (I reviewed it for this website) because it has a 1/1.7 inch sensor and a relatively long zoom lens (7.1x zoom). Another excellent point and shoot with a 7.1x zoom lens is the Panasonic LF1. The LF1 is much smaller and lighter than the Nikon P7700 and also has a built-in viewfinder. But the Nikon has a much more comfortable shape (as long as you're OK with larger cameras) because of its prominent right hand grip, and also has a very useful fully movable LCD.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by mrayray09 View Post
    Was looking at the type of camera on my own, and had gotten into the DSLRs and mirrorless. I think the P&S is what I am looking for and will fit my needs.
    Mirrorless will work here, except for the zoom requirement. Telephoto will mean another zoom lens, in addition to the kit lens that comes with the camera. And that means smallish camera bag for sure. Dunno if toting a camera bag around breaks your requirements or not. Take away all the mirrorless choices and I would try hard for a Canon G12/15/16.

Kelly Cook
    (confessed mirrorless addict)
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

What is best camera to use life time because well I just got married and will be starting a family soon? On our honeymoon, we took our 2 year old $150 Canon and realized we need to upgrade. Plus my wife has wanted a new one and her birthday is around the corner. I will answer the "new buyer" questionnaire. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Ended up going with a Nikon D5100. Should be getting it soon, so very excited to start playing with it.

Thread Information