Quantcast Slow Motion Camera+Frame manipulation PC software for analyzing technique ADVICE NEEDED

+ Reply to Thread

Default Slow Motion Camera+Frame manipulation PC software for analyzing technique ADVICE NEEDED

I am looking for a camera that can be used to breakdown my tennis technique and be able to analyze it. Currently I am using an app called "uber" on my ipad which does an okay job, but the ipad records at 30 fps which is just not enough to see the super small details. I am wondering what camera and software I can used to breakdown a video frame by frame similar to what this ipad app does. I do not know how much a camera of this caliber would cost for my usages. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Slow Motion Camera+Frame manipulation PC software for analyzing technique ADVICE NEEDED

Many medium to high-priced cameras released recently have a high speed video mode. Your least expensive options are probably the Canon Elph 330 and Elph 530. They will let you shoot slow motion video of 120 frames per second at 640 x 480 resolution and super slow motion of 240 frames per second at 320 x 240 resolution. Keep in mind that slow motion video uses lots of file space.
    As far as software is concerned I'm sure there are many PC programs that enable frame-by-frame display but one program that's specifically designed for analyzing sports videos is the free program, longomatch, LongoMatch - The digital coach
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Slow Motion Camera+Frame manipulation PC software for analyzing technique ADVICE NEEDED

I would not need a higher quality purely video camera? If it means better quality, I could spend more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator

Default Re: Slow Motion Camera+Frame manipulation PC software for analyzing technique ADVICE NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    I would not need a higher quality purely video camera? If it means better quality, I could spend more.

I've read some good things about the JVC Everio GZ-EX210, which can shoot up to 300 frames per second.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Are there any other options? What are the benefits to going to a camera that is more expensive?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Are there any other options? What are the benefits to going to a camera that is more expensive?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

The JVC can shoot at a higher resolution and, because of its greater number of frames per second, can shoot an even slower slow motion than the Canons. The faster the shooting speed, the better looking slow motion results you'll get. As you know if you try slowing down the playback speed on a standard 30 fps video the results will look blurry.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

What are the competitors to this camera?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    What are the competitors to this camera?

Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Samsung may have camcorders that can shoot at high frame rates to produce clear slow motion video. Check out their product lines.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

As a general rule, dedicated video cameras have better AF tracking than still cameras.
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information