Quantcast The best camera to use with dogs.

+ Reply to Thread

Default The best camera to use with dogs.

I have a crazy 8 month old Doberman & soon we will have another puppy in the house. We need a good camera. My phone takes good snap shot photos if in the right light. I want a camera that can take low light photos. I also need to be able to take photos very quickly & consecutively. Puppies wiggle & move so much.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    Preferably under $700. Used is ok but only if it comes from a good seller & maybe has a warrantee.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Doesn’t matter a ton but light & comfortable to have around is helpful.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    as many as I can get. 16+ I guess

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    The most amount of optical zoom that I can afford. But realistically I don’t think I have the need to super far.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    10 if I am paying for a nice camera I want quality images. My idea of quality vs a pro may not be the same. I share a lot of photos online & would like to be able to print some photos.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    I want manual options but until I learn how to properly use them I will go in auto. (took a photography class 20 years ago. I don’t remember all that much & now we have digital.)

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Dog photos & some nature shots.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Mostly under 4x6 - 8x10

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I have always owned canon snap shots but their quality has gone down recently. However if I go DSLR I am leaning towards a canon rebel. (not sure which model is best for me)

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Sony Cybershot (not DSLR) has peaked my interest as a compromise. Otherwise I have been told Fujifilm is good. Canon of course. I have been scare off to go Nikon from people saying that it is not a great beginner camera. I need to be able to use my camera out of the box and take the time to learn the advanced settings as time goes on. I do not have to have a DSLR. But logic tells me that may be the direction to go.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image stabilization is key. Wide angle is cool. *** Has to be able to take photos quickly… lag is not an option. ***

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: The best camera to use with dogs.

If you anticipate taking most of your photos using the viewfinder, a traditional DSLR, like one of the Canon Rebels, is your best choice. But when using live view (taking the picture while looking at the LCD), DSLR's focus more slowly than mirrorless cameras. Since you're used to using your iPhone to take photos you'll probably be more comfortable using the camera's LCD rather than a viewfinder. So I would recommend a good DSLR-like mirrorless camera that's within your price range. Possibly the best available (at its current online price of about $750) is the Panasonic G6, which has excellent image quality and speed of operation. The only similar camera with better image quality is the Olympus OM-D E-M5, which is significantly more expensive.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    If you anticipate taking most of your photos using the viewfinder, a traditional DSLR, like one of the Canon Rebels, is your best choice. But when using live view (taking the picture while looking at the LCD), DSLR's focus more slowly than mirrorless cameras. Since you're used to using your iPhone to take photos you'll probably be more comfortable using the camera's LCD rather than a viewfinder.

I won't mind looking through the viewfinder to take photos. I think you get better photos that way. I am old enough to have used real film & had to look through the viewfinder and have to wait to develop!! LOL Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at the Panasonic G6 yet. What would be the best Canon Rebel for my skill level and needs?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The new Canon Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) is an excellent traditional DSLR (with a mirror) and is about the same price as the Panasonic G6. The SL1 is small for a DSLR - about the same size as the G6. The SL1 has a larger sensor but its image quality is not that much better (if at all) than the G6. The SL1 has a standard optical viewfinder, compared to the electronic viewfinder of the G6. Both are very good. Many people prefer an optical viewfinder but the electronic viewfinder on the G6 is exceptional and is even larger than the one on the SL1. Both are very quick cameras though, as I mentioned earlier, if you use the LCD to frame your pictures the G6 is faster. Both have very high definition LCD's though the Panasonic's is fully articulated - you can move it in all directions. This is a very useful feature. The G6 also has built-in WiFi.

The bottom line is that if you want a traditional DSLR for about $700, the Canon Rebel SL1 is one of your best options, especially if you prefer a smaller DSLR. But overall the Panasonic G6 is more fully featured. I recommend trying out both to see which feels better to you.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Post Re: The best camera to use with dogs.

Used is ok but only if it comes from a good seller & maybe has a warrantee.
    Some sellers offer a warranty on used cameras, but it will be a lot shorter than a new camera warranty. I buy most of my cameras used (especially the premium models!) and the drill with a used camera purchase is to try out all of its features immediately. Especially autofocus and corner sharpness. Simply return the camera for a refund if it comes up short. This is not the same as a warranty, every seller of used cameras has a "return" policy. Some better than others. Long winded way of saying that "warranty" is not the right way of looking at used camera purchases.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    as many as I can get. 16+ I guess
    Wrong. You can get great quality images for posting to the web, or 8x10 prints, with a 7Mp camera. The extra Mp are for deeper crops with a photo editor.

I want manual options but until I learn how to properly use them I will go in auto.
    This is one of the tricky parts. The top manual cameras, such as a Canon EOS 7D, lack most of the fun auto features like scenes and filters. My mirrorless Olympus PEN tries to cover both worlds, and technically does do this. But for classic manual control it is significantly more awkward than a DSLR like a Canon 60D. Tops for covering both may go to the expensive Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the non-traditional Sony SLT-A65. Other cameras do sacrifice one or the other to some degree. Different flavors for different folks.

I have been scare off to go Nikon from people saying that it is not a great beginner camera
    Quite simply Not True. Find other people to talk to.

I need to be able to use my camera out of the box
    Well, they all have an Auto mode, so they can all limp along "out of the box". But exactly how well they will limp varies significantly from brand to brand and from scene to scene. For some examples check my blog -
    http://photographyintro.com/canon-vs...us-auto-modes/

*** Has to be able to take photos quickly… lag is not an option. ***
    That pretty well locks you into a DSLR or the most expensive mirrorless models. Definitely rules out Sony Cybershot (and NEX too). However, that position assumes that AF is a must. If you side-step the whole AF deal by pre-focusing with MF, most ILC cameras will be pretty quick.

Canon DSLR I would suggest are the 60D, 7D, 70D (over budget but killer camera), SL1, and T4i. Which are different flavors of "serious". Pick your own comfort level.

Low light is tricky, even with the most advanced camera. Instead of making that requirement the Big Kahuna, consider getting an external flash unit for the camera's hotshoe. You can pick up a nice flash for around $150, which is a lot less than the $$ difference for an advanced camera or a f/2.8 zoom lens. And end up with MUCH better pictures with the flash than without it.

Kelly Cook
    Last edited by KCook; 09-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information