Quantcast Best of Breed: Compact, large sensor cameras

+ Reply to Thread
    DCB

Default Best of Breed: Compact, large sensor cameras

Budget: Under 2500.00

Like the compact large sensor concept.

As for features all I care about is image quality, focus speed, and ease of shooting.

Ideas?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Best of Breed: Compact, large sensor cameras

Large sensor compact cameras usually refer to high quality point and shoot cameras that are small and have good performance and image quality. The one with the best image quality is undoubtedly the Sony RX1 as it looks like a compact camera but has a full-frame sensor found in only the best DSLR's. But with the RX1 you're limited to a short, non-zooming lens - you can't change lenses. Also the RX1 is not as quick focusing as a DSLR. Here's a link to this website's review of the Sony RX1:
    Sony RX1 Review

There are also compact mirrorless cameras that have excellent image quality but are small in size and use interchangeable lenses. The Sony NEX 7 is probably the best in this category. Here's a link to this site's review of the NEX 7:
    Sony Alpha NEX-7 Review: A Top-Notch Mirrorless Camera

Another option is a small DSLR, which is larger than the above cameras but not as large a typical DSLR. DSLR's have excellent image quality and speed and also use interchangeable lenses. The Canon Rebel SL1 is a fine example of this category of camera. If you don't mind a DSLR that's a bit larger, but still relatively compact, consider the Canon Rebel T5i or the comparable Nikon D5200. Here are links to this site's reviews of the T5i and the D5200:
    Canon Rebel T5i Review
    Nikon D5200 Review
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Define "large sensor". The Canon G1 X, Fujifilm X-E1, Nikon Coolpix A, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Panasonic GX7, Sony NEX-6, Sony RX100 II each have their fans, but have different sensor sizes. Variety is nice, something to fit any niche.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

DCB

I am referring to the recent article from digital camera review "FPT: Which Camera Should I Buy?"

FPT: Which Camera Should I Buy?

Where in they make a clear distinction between point and shoot, compact large sensor, ultrazoom, mirrorless, DSLR

They define the compact large sensor as follows:

Compact, large sensor cameras-This is a newer category. Many manufacturers have upped the size of the sensors while maintaining a small form factor. It's quite impressive, actually. But you will pay dearly for this new technology. The price of these cameras generally start near the $1000 mark and go up from there. As this technology matures, the starting price point should decrease slightly.

I wish they had included some examples of current models in each one of the categories, which would have made the article far more informative and helpful

That said; at the bottom of the article they invited readers to post to this forum to get the answers, which while there was a good attempt was not specifically on point.
    "After you have looked over these questions, head over to our forum and post your answers under the "Which camera should I buy?" category so we can help you choose a camera that will best fit your needs."

If this is confusing to others perhaps the good folks who penned the article could shed some light here and provide all with some examples from each category.

at the bottom of the articl

Define compact.

The RX1 is relatively tiny for a full-size sensor, but it's not meaningfully pocketable - though it's certainly not a relative waste of space like the Fuji X20. The only large-sensor (in the relatively meaningful sense of the word) cameras that you can palm are the Sony RX100 at the smallest end, and on the outside the (compromised) Leica X2.
    "The secret to photography? F/8 and be there." ~ Wilbur Garrett, National Geographic

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Sony RX100 and RX1 are excellent examples of large sensor compacts. The Fuji x100 is also very good. But, as I noted earlier, these cameras have limited zoom.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Oops, I had not read that particular article. Of the factors cited in the OP, I would expect focus speed to have the most mixed results.

Kelly

Thread Information