Quantcast Looking for a Point-and-Shoot Camera

+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for a Point-and-Shoot Camera

After extrodinary good experience with the notebookreview.com community, i hope this is also the right place for some good advice concerning cameras. But i will probably one of the guys who should just buy "the ususal one" ... whatever model that is ...

Budget

100-200€ (250€ hard limit)

Size

Common point-and-shoot camera format, not that important.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    8/12mp are usually ok, but maybe its worth to get more for using downsampling and getting less dependent on the light situation ? (Only worth it, if it's build in)

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Not really sure - should be a versatile vacation shooter, so probable upper standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    I'm an amateur, so i will probably see no difference between good and top-notch pictures but they should be fairly good, hence i would rate it to 8.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    No

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Vacations. Probably no videos.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Very rarely, but should be possible.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Will happen and versatility concerning the light situation is my key concern. I want to be able to shoot out of the hand wherever i am.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Rarely, not important.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    No

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    As said, i want to be able to shoot out of the hand in nearly all situations so i was thinking about optical image stabilisation (have seen an older model with digital stabilization and was not satisfied). Automatic panorama stitching would also be nice. Weatherproof would be a good, but its not required.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for a Point-and-Shoot Camera

The term "point and shoot" covers small, pocket-sized cameras as well as ultrazooms that not pocket sized. Whichever one you're looking for here are a few things to keep in mind.
    One is that the best point and shoots have a CMOS sensor, which produces better looking pictures in low light.
    Another is that, if you want the auto-panorama feature, you won't find it in a Canon.
    Also if you want a waterproof camera it will not have a long zoom lens.

I don't know what retailers you have access to or their prices, but here are some good low priced point and shoots to consider:
    Panasonic XS 3 (very small, 5x zoom, good in low light), Panasonic TZ35 (excellent, pocket sized, good in low light, 20x optical zoom), Panasonic FT25 (waterproof, 4x zoom, only a CCD sensor (not as good in low light).

Nikon S6500 or S6600 (pocket sized, good in low light, 12x optical zoom), Nikon L620 (bit larger than pocket sized, pretty good in low light, runs on 2 AA batteries, 14x optical zoom)

Sony WX200 (small, good in low light, 10x zoom), Sony H200 (larger than pocket sized, 26x optical zoom, ccd sensor (not great in low light), uses 4 AA batteries), Sony TF1 (waterproof, small, 4x zoom, ccd sensor so not great in low light).

Samsung wb250f (pocket sized, 18x zoom, good in low light)

If I had to choose one of the above my choice would be the Panasonic TZ35.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Except the XS 3, all are available here (germany) and are within my budget range. The TZ35 is the most expensive one (~230€) while all the others are <200€. I will probably skip all CCD based ones, if they are not as good in low light, which seems like have also to forget about AA battery based and water proof cameras. (Except the L620)

.. but there are still some remaining questions:
    - Is there also something like a "water resistant" rating ?
    - What is the drawback of the WB250F, WX200 or L620 compared to the TZ35 ?
    - Do they have optical image stabilisiation (or just digital) ? (and is it really worth it?)
    - Is an internal battery sufficient ? (assuming no AA means build-in/property format batteries)

Thanks for the advice you already gave me, but currently i'm undecided between the WB250F (150€) and the TZ35 (230€).

Thanks for the advice. After the forum somehow gobbled up my last answer, i took the time to dive a bit more into the topic. After reading a view reviews, it seems all those cameras are not THAT good in low light situations (compared to the Canon SX280 HS) Is that right ? Because i would probably just skip the panorama mode in that case (..and happily take the GPS feature).
    Additionally, is image stabilisation really worth it ? Have heard quite different opinions.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by TyrionWarMage View Post
    Thanks for the advice. After the forum somehow gobbled up my last answer, i took the time to dive a bit more into the topic. After reading a view reviews, it seems all those cameras are not THAT good in low light situations (compared to the Canon SX280 HS) Is that right ? Because i would probably just skip the panorama mode in that case (..and happily take the GPS feature).
    Additionally, is image stabilisation really worth it ? Have heard quite different opinions.
    The Canon SX280 and the earlier version, the SX260, are probably the best compact superzooms in low light. As long as you're OK with the absence of the auto-panorama mode.

Yes, image stabilization is worth it. Most cameras, except the really cheap ones, come with it.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The Canon SX280 and the earlier version, the SX260, are probably the best compact superzooms in low light. As long as you're OK with the absence of the auto-panorama mode.

Yes, image stabilization is worth it. Most cameras, except the really cheap ones, come with it.
    In the meanwhile, i found out that the SX280 seems to have a serious flaw: the battery runtime is not good and becomes unusable below -5°C. Additionally, i should be fine with 10x zoom, hence i'm currently having my eyes on the Canon Ixus 255 HS - should be at least on par with the SX280 concerning low light (according to reviews) and it has panorama stichting. It doesnt have GPS, but can connect to a GPS enabled smartphone.

Keep in mind that stabilization works only with static subjects. If there the subject has motion, the stabilization will not freeze that. Instead a high shutter speed is needed. And once you arrive at a high shutter speed, stabilization become redundant.

In Auto mode, the shutter speed is set by the AE programming for the camera, and not all cameras use the same AE programming. Some brands (Canon is an example) will set a low shutter speed whenever possible in Auto mode. This means greater risk for blur if there is motion in the scene. Of course the solution, for any brand, is to not use Auto mode. In pocket size cameras you cannot count on a Shutter priority mode though. All of the larger cameras (too big for a pocket) do have Shutter priority.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information