Quantcast Sony RX100 ii

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony RX100 ii

Default Sony RX100 ii

Hey! I am new to this forum and new to the world of digital cameras. To date I have survived with my excellent HTC Velocity Camera phone. It is truly an exceptional camera for a smart phone.

However, in December I will be spending Xmas and New Year in Sicily with family, before making a permanent move to London/Europe.

So, I need a digital camera as I am sick of my battery being used up on my phone. I don't want to get too serious about photography, and don't want the stress of changing lenses.

I have come to the conclusion a compact camera is what I need, but I want a top of the range one so I can take advantage of the stunning ruins in Sicily and everything Europe has to offer. Money is not a real concern. I am happy to spend $600 - $1000 for an excellent compact point and shoot that will take great photos. From what I have been reading, the Sony RX 100ii is the cream of the crop in the category I have been looking in, but my brother, who is supposedly a photo nut and has been to Europe several times believes the 3.6 zoom might be dissapointing.

I didn't think I'd need much more zoom, as I am not planning on going on Safari and taking shots of animals from afar! lol

Most of the time my travels will take me quite up close to most monuments/historical sites. So I figured 3.6 is fine?

Can anyone help?

For me, compactness, ease of use, amazing picture quality, wi fi, good video capabilities are the most important attributes in a new camera.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Sony RX100 ii

For me, compactness, ease of use, amazing picture quality, wi fi, good video capabilities are the most important attributes in a new camera.
    The RX100 II certainly meets your criteria. However, here's something to consider. For about 2/3 the price of the RX100 II you can purchase the Panasonic LF1, one of the top compact cameras available. The LF1 is smaller and lighter in weight than the RX100 II, has twice as much optical zoom and has a built-in electronic viewfinder, which the RX100 II lacks. The LF1 is not quite as good as the RX100 II in low light (though still very good) and its movie mode is a bit inferior (1080i vs 1080p) though this shouldn't be an issue for most photographers. Also the LF1 does not have a flash hotshoe - not an issue if you don't intend to mount a separate flash.

If you want a small compact camera with the best image and movie quality available get the RX100 II.
    If you want to save $250, get a smaller and lighter weight camera with twice as much optical zoom, a useful electronic viewfinder and image and movie quality only slightly inferior to the RX100 II, consider the Panasonic LF1.
    Here are some sample images:
    RX100 II
    Flickr Search: "rx100 II" sony

LF1
    Flickr Search: panasonic "lf1"
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Hi!

Thanks. Your advise is much appreciated and all points are being considered. I am now looking at the one you suggested as well as Panasonic LX7.

To help me make up my mind, does anyone think I'd need considerable zoom under most situations in Europe? I would imagine extensive zoom is most often wasted. But I could be wrong?

Most of the things I will be photographing will be directly in front of me, i.e Churches, Monuments, Bridges etc. But I have never traveled and cannot say for sure and under what circumstances I'd be likely to need a very expansive zoom. Please help.

Because I still am a little partial to the RX100 ii, and if massive zoom is something one wouldn't need often, then perhaps 3.6 zoom on the rx100 ii would suffice?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The longer zoom lens is very useful when you want to take closeups. For example if you see a church with some beautiful carvings around one of its high windows you'll need a long zoom lens to be able to get a closeup - you probably won't be able to get it with a 3.6x zoom lens.

I recently traveled to the British Isles, taking an 18x ultrazoom and a 5x compact. I used both cameras extensively because each was useful for a particular purpose.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The longer zoom lens is very useful when you want to take closeups. For example if you see a church with some beautiful carvings around one of its high windows you'll need a long zoom lens to be able to get a closeup - you probably won't be able to get it with a 3.6x zoom lens.

I recently traveled to the British Isles, taking an 18x ultrazoom and a 5x compact. I used both cameras extensively because each was useful for a particular purpose.
    Very good points.

Well, as much as the reviews glowingly tell me to get the RX100 ii as far as compact/pocket sized cameras go, I have decided I wont. It may have excellent picture quality, but like you say - lacking in zoom.

Because of this I had almost decided to get the Sony HX50V. It has wifi, gps, amazing zoom and many other features that make it a great all round compact, not to mention its main selling point - 30x zoom.

I was almost going to buy it, but now the SonyNex-3N and the Sony Nex-5T are of interest.

Now I know they are pushing me into a totally different direction. That of detachable lenses which I was hoping to avoid.

But they are both the same if not a little smaller than the RX100/HX50V and from what I have read are the smallest digital cameras with detachable lenses.

Even with the stock standard lens the Nex Cameras seem to be about the same size as the RX100/HX50V? so I am wondering if it would be worth my while buying one, because with the standard lens it would still be small enough to fit into my pocket for party photos, family photos and when I really need some zoom for the other 50% of the time I could attach a lens.

I'd probably get a better, more flexible photographic experience overall.

Thoughts?

Again, this probbly means I am now entering into quasi slr territory rather than point and shoot lol. But its soooo tiny. So it seems to alleviate the burden of carrying it around ( except of course when attaching a larger lens )

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The NEX 3 and 5, with the standard lens attached (16-50mm power zoom), are larger and bulkier than the RX100 and HX50v and will not fit in a standard pocket (unless you have a very large pocket). But you'd get better image quality than the RX100 or HX50v and you'd have the opportunity to use different lenses for different shooting situations (though the lenses aren't cheap).
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The NEX 3 and 5, with the standard lens attached (16-50mm power zoom), are larger and bulkier than the RX100 and HX50v and will not fit in a standard pocket (unless you have a very large pocket). But you'd get better image quality than the RX100 or HX50v and you'd have the opportunity to use different lenses for different shooting situations (though the lenses aren't cheap).
    Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

Since my last comment, I have done a little bit more research into the Nex 3/5 and at a stretch the Nex 6 range. I too noticed that although the camera bodies of all 3 Nex Cameras was on par if not a little slimmer than the Rx100 and Hx50V, when you add the permanently protruding lens, it does render it much bulkier and therefore would not fit into a small to average sized pocket as you mentioned.

But, just as I was about to give up entirely on the NEX cameras, I happened upon a review which suggested the 20mm Sony Pancake Lens to someone considering buying the Nex Range who wanted to keep it compact for normal use.

This is the lens I am talking about

Sony 20mm F2.8 E-Mount Lens | Digital Camera Warehouse

If I were to obtain this 20mm lens and keep it attached I could retain the benefit of compactness. This 20mm lens could be kept on most times for casual use, i.e party shots, food shots, family photos etc and of course when I need a bit more grunt ( zoom ) I could alternate between then 16-50mm lens and the 55-210mm lenses as per the kit below:

Sony NEX-5RY 16-50mm & 55-210mm Twin Lens Kit | Interchangeable Lens Cameras | Cameras

Combining both of those purchases I'd be looking at around $950 ( once I claim duty free tax ) for a very small compact mirrorless camera with 3 lenses, which most of the time would be sporting the pancake lens for normal shots.

Or buy the HX50v for almost half that price, but I guess a lesser experience in terms of image quality.

The question I need to answer is whether the picture quality gain is significant enough to justify an extra $500.

But, if I dont consider the mirrorless options, I will probably never get a more authentic photography experience as the normal dslr cameras take great pics, but are way too bulky

Do you think $950 is a decent deal for Nex5, Pancake and two lens? I somehow feel it would be a more rewarding experience.

Of course, I could do the 3 lens option with the Next 3 and save another $200

Unhappy Re: Sony RX100 ii

These "pancake" style prime lenses are available for all mirrorless brands, not just Sony. Personally, I don't take them very seriously. The standard 3X kit zoom is so much more useful. If or when I get a prime lens for my mirrorless camera, it will be faster than f/2.8!

For that package price you could get a SLR-like ultrazoom PLUS a nice advanced compact camera. Which would be a little less bulk and weight than the NEX with 3 lenses.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The question I need to answer is whether the picture quality gain is significant enough to justify an extra $500.
    If you intend to take primarily indoor pictures, the NEX cameras will give you much better results. But for outdoor pictures you'll probably like the HX50 better because the images are more consumer-friendly (saturated) and the long zoom lens of the HX50v will allow you to take shots that you never could get with the NEX 5 (even with its long zoom lens).
    Here are some sample photos from each:
    NEX 5
    Flickr Search: sony nex 5

HX50v
    Flickr Search: sony hx50v
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information